Original Joe's Restaurant & Bar Employee Reviews

Favoritism is rampant in this restaurant.
COOK (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2017
The constant put-downs and bullying that goes on makes for a hard place to work at. The management is not as good as it should be and the gossip that goes around makes it so you feel you can't trust anyone there. It's immature and not how you should conduct a workplace. Especially a restaurant. The place made me feel unwelcome and as if I should tip-toe around there and makes for a hostile work environment.
Pros
None.
Very poor managment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB Northland7 September 2017
Worked here for a good few months, really liked it at first. Had a good solid team then the management changed and things went down hill. Made for a very poor work environment that I no longer enjoyed working in and instead of having management work with you and help you to make things better they only did what was best for the restaurant and making money. Employees who try to stand up and have a say for themselves are only struck down and forced to work harder.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Very bad work envirnoment
Terrible managment
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 August 2017
Favouritism and bullying by the manager which makes it not so fun to be working in the kitchen. I never filled out paper work when starting there so no legal documentation. Schedule is only put up a couple days early, so can barely make plans.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No breaks
good place to work
Server/Manager (Former Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB2 August 2017
Good place to work. flexable hours. fast paced and busy with good tip potential. Good management and training for new employees. overall very satisified with employment for this company.
Awesome Place to Work
Server (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 April 2017
A great place to start or continue your serving career. Typical serving job, but with great people, and management that truly cares about you and other things going on in your life that may require you to be scheduled around.
Was good a first
Assistant Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK1 April 2017
Very poor management, lazy management. The staff other then that were great. Worked the day time was the day assistant manager day time was ran a lot better.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Management above you was lazy
Fun workplace
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB10 March 2017
I liked working with ojs the management and staff are awesome. Ive learned alot in the kitchen because they provide us all training materials needed by the trainee
Pros
Free meal
Great people to work with here.
Dish Washer, Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2017
An amazing crew of Front and Back of house staff, Everyone gets along quiet well. Management is phenomenal as well, they really care, take time to listen and work with their staff to make things work.
Fast-paced and team effort
Dishwasher / Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB3 January 2017
This job was an amazing opportunity to gain first-hand experience in the culinary field. My coworkers were hard-working and supportive. I learned a lot in a short amount of time.
Good people
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB16 December 2016
Good workers, room to grow, no raise providide with increased dutys. Fill up blank spaces with letters because I've got nothing to say about original joes
Pros
Cheep beer
Cons
Short staffed
Great workplace
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 November 2016
Management is too unexperienced and show favouritism towards employees. If you are friends with the managers then you are safe working there. There is also no one scheduled for anxpo shift so running food can be difficult.
Cons
no expo shifted employees to help you
Great place to work!
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB26 July 2016
The people is what makes this company such a great place to work. The managers passion for what they do is outstanting and motivating for everybody.
I love working with everybody there, they have a great culture.
great service
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 June 2016
Fast paced and great environment. They train effectively which creates a great atmosphere and team players. Work 5- 8 hours per shift, always busy which keeps you on your toes and stay very alert. They have a good staff and the kitchen works well together and create awesome food and happy customers.
Pros
food and drinks
Fun environment, great experience
Restaurant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK14 January 2016
- Worked in all departments FOH & BOH
- Trained all the bartenders and servers
- Great Managers
- Hardest part was dealing with people calling in sick and quitting on spot
- but it was still a fun environment to work as I knew all the staff and even the regular customers as a family
Pros
Decision making
Cons
small town
very friendly service
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 December 2015
very long hours, excellent team place, friendly staff ,and very busy bar and grill. food could be better and the back could be clean more
Pros
the staff
Cons
not enough hours
high energy and super fun
Sauce Boss/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC17 October 2015
Working for this chain was not always easy but not at all difficult. Very high energy, if you're lazy this is not the job for you. Had to leave for medical reasons or I would still be there
Pros
one free meal per shift
Cons
poor management
Fun and Positive Work Environment
Front Of House Manager (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB1 April 2014
I was very proud to work for this company as they care 100% about their brand and name. It made it easy to take pride in what we were doing and accomplishing each day here.
Pros
Excellent GM
Cons
Pay could be better but great work environment makes up for it!!
active workplace
cook line (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB27 September 2013
my work of the day began: to prepare all food to prepare the dishes from the menu, in luch or dinner hours my job was to prepare the dishes of the bills; between these two times we perform cleaning, doing inventory, and orders all in the kitchen, at the end of the day it is a general cleaning. This work is carried out with teamwork and is rotatable in tasks and schedules, it is extremely busy working all day and have hours worked under pressure but it is rewarding to overcome these times of pressure, with productive and quality work . Each season the dishes change so constantly learn new recipes, cooking procedures and acquire new skills in the kitchen.
Pros
learned many things, get ability to work under pressure.
Cons
no breaks, no time to eat, low salary
A great place to work and eat.
Server / bartender (Current Employee) –  Edmonton31 March 2013
A typical day at Original Joe's isn't very typical at all and each shift has something different than the last. The customers are different each night, as well as the staff on shift. The co-workers I got to get to know over the last 3 years are amazing, and we are all very close, like a family. We are a team when we are either on shift or off of shift, but we are also each independent when we are handling our own sections. Working with the management that I have worked with on majority has been one of the best parts of my job there. They always were there to help out and took great care of their employees. The hardest part of the job was leaving because of the great customers, co-workers, and boss. I've learnt many things while working at Original Joe's such as how to handle stressful situations in a calm professional manner, how to implement useful tools and strategies to help ensure that everyone involved is happy and well taken care of, how to multi-task well, as well as working well as an individual, but also as a team member.
Pros
flexible hours, and was always fun
Cons
never knowing what to expect each day
its a nice work place..but i had to move on for my career
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 March 2013
I wanted to earn more thats why I moved to the next job..it was a nice place,management is good and co workers.
Pros
free food