Original Joe's Restaurant & Bar Employee Reviews

Was a great place to start!
Cook (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB19 February 2018
It was a great place to work for untill recent, management changes! There is a huge presence of favoratisim amognst a certain few people. Just can't quite pay the bills.
Pros
Discounts on food and drink
Cons
Unstrucured
Bonanza
Hostess/Busser (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK15 February 2018
A typical day at work was cleaning down the salad bar or cleaning tables if we were waiting on running food out. I learned what the names of food i was serving were called and how to re fill salad bar. The hardest part of the job was just learning how to work long hours on my feet ,since it was my very first job.
Pros
30 mins
Cons
8 hours
Fantastic Place to work
Managing Partner (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC6 February 2018
Love working for this company! I've always had a great work life balance and have always been rewarded appropriately for a job well done. Original Joe's has an amazing workplace culture. I have always been very proud of the product we produce.
Prep Cook
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB5 January 2018
Worked as a prep cook weighing out items to sell and for day and next day service. Help in dish station when needed. Daily prep change from day to day. Was only then for a month then laid off.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not easy to work for
nice place low wage
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 October 2017
I wanted to earn more that is why I moved to the next job. It was a nice place,management is good and co workers were dependable.
Favoritism is rampant in this restaurant.
COOK (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2017
The constant put-downs and bullying that goes on makes for a hard place to work at. The management is not as good as it should be and the gossip that goes around makes it so you feel you can't trust anyone there. It's immature and not how you should conduct a workplace. Especially a restaurant. The place made me feel unwelcome and as if I should tip-toe around there and makes for a hostile work environment.
Pros
None.
Cons
Love the place to eat and to work
Bartender/Supervisor and Managing Partner (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC16 October 2017
I have very much enjoyed working for this company. Of the many chain restaurants I have been involved in this one has by far proven to be of the top for quality and work environment.
fast pace
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 September 2017
this was a fast pace job during lunch and dinner rush. Learned alot about cooking and the proper was to prepare food. The guys were great and the pay was decent
Very poor managment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB Northland7 September 2017
Worked here for a good few months, really liked it at first. Had a good solid team then the management changed and things went down hill. Made for a very poor work environment that I no longer enjoyed working in and instead of having management work with you and help you to make things better they only did what was best for the restaurant and making money. Employees who try to stand up and have a say for themselves are only struck down and forced to work harder.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Very bad work envirnoment
Terrible managment
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 August 2017
Favouritism and bullying by the manager which makes it not so fun to be working in the kitchen. I never filled out paper work when starting there so no legal documentation. Schedule is only put up a couple days early, so can barely make plans.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No breaks
good place to work
Server/Manager (Former Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB2 August 2017
Good place to work. flexable hours. fast paced and busy with good tip potential. Good management and training for new employees. overall very satisified with employment for this company.
Fun environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB7 June 2017
Wonderful work environment with amazing staff and management. I was welcomed with open arms and comfort as well as many learning experiences. The hardest part of the job was the constant on the go running around. It was amazing to learn at a fast pace while dealing with multitasking experiences. I was challenged and am proud to say that I succeeded. I was not criticized by my managers for mistakes, but only encouraged to learn from them.
Pros
Discounts on meals
Cons
The rare unhappy customers
productive and always have the other persons back when in tough
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  South Surrey, BC6 May 2017
a typical day at work is I get there early to get changed and start right by letting my boss know whats going on in the up coming weeks to let him know when I can work and when I can. I learned that the kitchen staff and the waiter/waitresses have a really hard job from dealing with mad customers to food not being ready on time.
The management at original joes was solid but could use more organization.
the work place and the culture was very light and not very stressed out we had laughs and a good time from the time we started to the time we finished.
the hardest part of the job is the lack of time to get stuff done and back ready to be used again. the most enjoyable part of the job is the people that work with you for the entire time and support you.
Pros
free drinks and$4 staff meals
Cons
not solid hours meaning you don't know if your getting a 6 hour shift or a 3 hour shift
Awesome Place to Work
Server (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 April 2017
A great place to start or continue your serving career. Typical serving job, but with great people, and management that truly cares about you and other things going on in your life that may require you to be scheduled around.
Was good a first
Assistant Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK1 April 2017
Very poor management, lazy management. The staff other then that were great. Worked the day time was the day assistant manager day time was ran a lot better.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Management above you was lazy
Fun workplace
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Whitecourt, AB10 March 2017
I liked working with ojs the management and staff are awesome. Ive learned alot in the kitchen because they provide us all training materials needed by the trainee
Pros
Free meal
Great people to work with here.
Dish Washer, Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2017
An amazing crew of Front and Back of house staff, Everyone gets along quiet well. Management is phenomenal as well, they really care, take time to listen and work with their staff to make things work.
Fast-paced and team effort
Dishwasher / Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB3 January 2017
This job was an amazing opportunity to gain first-hand experience in the culinary field. My coworkers were hard-working and supportive. I learned a lot in a short amount of time.
Good people
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB16 December 2016
Good workers, room to grow, no raise providide with increased dutys. Fill up blank spaces with letters because I've got nothing to say about original joes
Pros
Cheep beer
Cons
Short staffed
Great workplace
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 November 2016
Management is too unexperienced and show favouritism towards employees. If you are friends with the managers then you are safe working there. There is also no one scheduled for anxpo shift so running food can be difficult.
Cons
no expo shifted employees to help you