Primary Purpose of Position:
The Formulation and Regulatory Affairs Specialist develops formulations for new and improved products, and provides scientific, technical and regulatory advice on products and processes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Develops theoretical formulations for new and improved products and conducts appropriate test runs.
2. Defines specifications for raw materials, finished and packaging materials for products and evaluates sources of materials.
3. Plans and coordinates technical activities associated with the execution of formulations, ensuring that production processes comply with relevant Canadian, international and company regulations, policies and guidelines.
4. Identifies and resolves technical problems related to formulation and manufacturability of existing and new products; conducts troubleshooting activities, recommends cost savings improvements, and develops risk mitigation plans.
5. Provides technical, scientific and regulatory input across the Company on product formulation and materials specifications.
6. Reviews product labels and literature, ensuring accuracy and compliance with applicable regulations and product licenses.
7. Conducts all research necessary for new and current products.
8. Keeps abreast of pertinent developments on products and materials used, as well as with Health Canada (NHPD) and CFIA regulatory standards and guidelines.
9. Communicates key issues relating to product formulation and materials specifications to appropriate management levels and recommends action plans.
Required Skills and Training
1. A Bachelor’s degree in pharmacology, biochemistry, or related health/medical field.
2. At least 3 years’ solid experience in product development and formulation in the nutraceutical industry.
3. Strong knowledge of government regulations pertinent to natural health products (NHPD), GMPs, CFIA and HACCP standards.
4. Excellent communication, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
5. Thrives well in a fast-paced environment; excellent organizational and time management skills.
6. A collaborative worker and excellent team player.
7. Proficient in MS Office
8. Strong command of English language.
9. Previous supervisory or managerial experience an asset.
10. Knowledge of ISO standards and organic certification is an asset.