OpenText Employee Reviews

You must be one of "the chosen"
Finance (Former Employee) –  WaterlooJuly 21, 2016
I worked in finance for 3 years. Most of the managers were completely incompentant and seemed to have one gotten those positions based on their ability to suck up rather than their skills. Favouritism was rampant in finance.
This meant a lot of the hard working and skilled people would quit and they wouldn't be replaced rather their work was dumped on those that remained. They also constantly acquired new companies which meant more and more work.
OpenText is a large multinational with the policies of a small company and the HR department is a joke.
The benefits and perks were good but the pay was a joke. There is no connection between your performance and annual raise. That is if you even get an annual raise as they have no policy around that. You have to complain about your pay to get a raise.
Pros
Good benefits and perks
Cons
Low pay, increasing work load, favouritism, weak management
Incompetent
Manager (Current Employee) –  OntarioJuly 20, 2016
A large company that pretends it is an engineering company when in fact it's really about acquisition. As a result the company is incompetent, bureaucratic, and political.
Poor management, corporate politics and favorizm
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 16, 2016
Since the new CEO came aboard this company is no longer what it used to be. There are always deadlines and new responsibilities thrown on your plate but there are only expectations and no proper compensation nor promotion for all that extra work. Lack of human resources problem is being ignored for years now and all they do is hiring contractors instead of permanent employees. Finance team is a dead end, there is no opportunities to grow professionally, you will be most likely stuck in the same position for years unless you are the "chosen" one that will magically be promoted without doing anything.
Although there are still some great people there, it is a matter of time until those leave this company as well. Such a shame as this really was great place to work. Now is only corporate politics, favorizm and poor compensation.
Pros
Great people, flexible work hours
Cons
Poor management, corporate politics and favorizm; poor compensation
Worked in a fun and productive development department.
Department Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONOctober 26, 2015
Assisting all managers and their respective teams with daily administrative duties including arranging travel, conferences, meetings and presentations, all department purchases, events planning, trainings etc. Managing inventory and office supplies. Smooth onboarding of new employees.
Pros
Good work life balance.
Cons
Constant restructuring leads to low employee moral
Great software solutions provided to great companies
Account Development Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONOctober 18, 2015
Great company to work for with many perks. Incredible success story for OpenText. Being so big and in so many locations, however, it was easy to lose touch with management and productive suggestions were very difficult to have implemented. Flexible work hours but the sight of flexibility in how one was allowed to perform meaningful work was unfortunately lost.
Pros
Great benefits and perks
Cons
Tough to connect with management.
Unbearable culture for an active under 30 person
Reporting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 12, 2016
OpenText is a very old traditional company that comes with all the drawbacks of a corporation that is stuck in the past.

This is purely subjective as i'm sure there are lots of people who would enjoy the culture at OpenText. I will describe OpenText culture by virtue of what they are not, who am i and why it is a terrible fit.

I am active, love to travel, love trying new things, learning new things, new sports, talk about innovation taking place around the globe. Having fun in my book is doing awesome "stuff" with people who think like me.

At OpenText i could not connect to a single person on basic human level in terms of interest, beliefs, things i care about. Conversations are dominated by discussion of tv shows (i don't watch tv) and variety of household routines.

Work style is very deadline oriented at certain times in a year yet not results oriented. I felt like all i did was spin my wheels while i was there. Again, take this with a grain of salt because i am switching careers. It could be that this just wasn't for me...

Overall i was miserable there. I would like to emphasize that this might be due to bad fit to begin with.
Good Company to Work For
Program Manager, Premier Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 25, 2015
It was a fun and positive work place with supportive management, it wasn't all about the numbers but how you personally grow and developed. As the company grew along with aggressive changes, the numbers started to really matter and everyone was competing for raises or a promotion but this is expected of a big company. My day to day job was challenging with lots to do but in an exciting way as it kept me motivated. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and continuously learned from them.
Pros
Fun social events to show employee appreciation
Cons
Long hours, harder to get raises or a promotion due to company reorganization
Good environment
Consultant/ Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 17, 2015
Great visionary company, excellent mgmt team, professional staff, no politics, fun work place, fast paced environment
Pros
great perks
Cons
Located in Waterloo / Commute was far
A large, global organization providing opportunities for personal growth.
Supervisor, Shared Services Renewals Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 5, 2015
As Open Text continues to grow, the employees are able to gain incredible knowledge of other countries, cultures, and work environments.
A great place to start your professional career with amazing people
Renewals Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 30, 2014
- Good Work Environment, Work/Life balance
- Stable company with good products
- Friendly People

Advice to Senior Management – Be more transparent with your strategy for the company. Many employees walk around afraid of layoffs due to the perpetual "growth by acquisition" model.
Pros
pros – casual atmosphere, friendly people, good exposure to tech
Cons
cons – really poor benefits. lack of formal performance reviews.
Very bad culture, no task / job security
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 7, 2014
Managers are there because of long standing relations with few powerful people. They do not have knowledge, they do not nurture or provide training to team// people.

Managers put the blame of their failure on juniors very easily
Highly conspicuous by its high labour turn over due to hiring-firing policy, so If you have job then do not leave your existing job to join this company. Acquired too many companies, so they try different people all the time from various entities without giving enough training and time and spoil the job/ tasks.
Pros
freebies- 10 types of tea and 6 types of coffee and starbucks coffee
Cons
no role clarity, no mentoring, - who pays freebies? certainly it is from savings of those employees who are poorly paid
Great place to work - just too far from home.
Senior Legal Assistant/Consultant (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONAugust 13, 2012
I worked there on a contract as a legal assistant/consultant in the law department. I was hired to train myself and others in creating a new corporate database. Management and my co-workers were wonderful. I worked with very minimal supervision and had my own office.
Pros
freedom and independence to do a great job.
Cons
richmond hill and oakville are too far apart to commute.
Excellent place to work
Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo,ONJune 4, 2015
This is a excellent place to work. One of the best companies in company to work. At OpenText I configure and maintain Content Server 10 - 10.5.x. I like the team I work with.
Enjoyable with leadership skill
Finance Compensation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, OntarioAugust 7, 2013
Processed wide-world employees commissions calculations, and completed the AP process of cost associated to commissions’ payments. Prepared JEs and global accounts reconciliation with multiple currencies. Analyzed financial /commissions data and request from internal departments and manager, contributed to statistical, financial and accounting reports, and coordinated year-end activities for internal/ external auditors. Led on various team projects. This job was prepared me strong in Excel and worked with a large data and knowledgeable on the company policies & plan provisions. It developed my communications services skill, and continued improvement, but also built up my leadership. I have enjoyed my work every single day and willing to help my co-workers.
Good benefits, long vacation
Product specialist (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 18, 2015
Good benefits, long vacation, medical insurance.
Sometimes work from home. Good team. Managers not so competent.
I used a lot of technologies like: PHP, Java and .NET
Great co-works and benefits
Renewals Specialist/Reference Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 28, 2013
This company, my department, had a great work life balance and fantastic team and co-workers. It was a very collaborative and team based environment.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
layoffs
Fun place to work with a diverse community
Real Estate Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONJuly 10, 2012
Excellent Employer
Excellent work environment
Supportive Managers to lead a successive career path
Extensive Training
Excellent online Tools
Progressive International Workplace
Senior Treasury Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 30, 2013
Open Text is a very acquisitive company, so internal procedures and processes are constantly changing to confirm with new lines of business.
Very professional environment with Hard workers
Procurement and Renewal Analyst (Former Employee) –  ottawaOctober 22, 2013
This was an awesome place to work, however it was a time for change. Everyone works as hard as they play.
Chalenging Workplace, good benefits plan
Intermediate Accountant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 19, 2012
Chalenging Workplace, good benefits plan, allways something to learn/study, very attractive for young employees