Reports to: Creative Director
We’re putting OpenRoad on the map for design. This is your chance to become a part of that.
Great things are happening at OpenRoad. Beyond the recent merging of an award-winning creative team with our proven digital strategists and developers, we’re actively building a new kind of digital agency—one focused on solid design, creative exploration, and data-based evidence, all within a relaxed and supportive atmosphere.
Are you ready for something new and better?
You’re looking for a place where you can take pride in—and ownership of—your design work. A place where you work with top brands and can learn from some of the best in the industry within the context of a small, supportive team. We think we’ve got that. And us? We’re looking for a talented, friendly, and passionate designer to become a vital part of our award-winning creative and design team. Someone that gets the business of design as well as the principles of design. Maybe that’s you.
What you’ll be doing:
As a designer at OpenRoad, you’ll play a vital role in every step of the creative and design process.
- Work with the Creative Director and the design team to create appropriate design solutions in a variety of media.
- Design interfaces for mobile applications and websites.
- Produce mood boards, style guides, and other design process artifacts.
- Develop visual blueprints based on team lead’s specifications.
- Create design production artifacts (graphics, icons) to support design and development needs.
- Participate in team brainstorms and conceptual development.
- Perform project design research.
- Advocate design principles as part of a project team that includes expert strategists, user experience experts, project managers, and software developers.
- Participate in RFP process, including RFP styling and client pitches.
- Work with the ThoughtFarmer sales and product team to design new features and produce marketing materials that work.
- Basically—work smart and have fun, continually producing better work than you thought possible.
How you like to work:
You want to work in a design team that’s small, flexible, and where everyone contributes. You don’t have an ego, but, understanding the value of collaborative design, you’re eager to be heard and to contribute to the team. You know that communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills are simply part of the design process. You like to solve complex design and creative problems and have an open mind to considering different approaches. You love learning new technologies and keep on top of emerging trends in web and graphic design, and you speak the digital language of social media, user generated content, and online sharing. And you believe in the importance of having a life outside of work.
Is this the right fit for you?
We’re looking at people who meet the following mandatory requirements:
- 3+ years of web design and design experience working within a team environment.
- Demonstrated mastery of Adobe Creative Cloud design products (Photoshop, InDesign, * Illustrator) in a production environment.
- A solid understanding of interactive design and responsive design principles.
- Proven typography skills.
- A high-level understanding of common CSS and HTML frameworks and methodologies.
Things that will give you an edge:
We love multidisciplinary people.
- Motion design, video, and/or animation software experience (Premiere, After Effects, Flash).
- Digital photo retouching experience.
- Design production experience for print.
- Experience designing for mobile devices.
- Experience working with common CSS and HTML frameworks and methodologies.
What we offer:
As a visual and interactive designer, you’ll work with talented people on important projects for global brands like Electronic Arts and Roxy / QuikSilver, as well as industry leaders like CBC, the National Film Board of Canada, and TReO. You’ll also play a vital role on the design of our successful intranet product, ThoughtFarmer. OpenRoad offers competitive wages for staff, overtime pay (yes, you read that right—overtime pay), and great benefits. Our flexible working environment is located in downtown Vancouver and is easily accessible by bus, SeaBus, SkyTrain, and West Coast Express.
How to Apply:
Reply to this posting with your resume, cover letter, and with a link to your online portfolio.
Only candidates that meet the minimum requirements will be considered. No phone calls please. Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. High-five if you read and adhere to the small print.