Headquartered in North York, the Ontario Society of Professional Engineers(OSPE) is a not-for-profit professional association, providing advocacy and member services that advance the economic and professional interests of Ontario’s engineers.
An essential part of the government relations team, the Government Relations Coordinator supports OSPE’s public policy and advocacy activities in a deadline-driven environment with multiple priorities. Primarily responsible for administration of OSPE’s Political Action Network (PAN) activities, the GR Coordinators also researches emerging issues of interest to engineers and creates compelling communications to inform members, stakeholders and the public of policy issues that impact the engineering profession. The position requires advanced knowledge of government relations and policy-making processes, as well as proven ability to interact effectively with volunteers , stakeholders elected officials and bureaucrats.
- Political Action Network: Supports activities of the Political Action Network (PAN), including recruiting and communicating with volunteers, arranging meetings; maintaining records statistics, drafting briefing notes and correspondence, and assisting at training sessions and networking events.
- Research and Communications: prepares briefing notes, drafts newsletter content, handle official correspondence, prepares monthly reports
- Website Updates: Tracks advocacy and PAN section of OSPE website; scans relevant stakeholder websites for emerging issues and relevant media articles
- Policy Event Series: Coordinates event series by identifying topics and speakers, preparing event materials, arranging logistics. Coordinates MPP reception at Queens Park.
- Internal Reporting: Contributes to progress reports for department staff, the CEO and members of the Board of Directors Membership Retention: Participates in organization-wide initiatives to engage members in OSPE’s advocacy activities and mandate
- Relevant post secondary degree or diploma and 2-3 years experience in a government/public affairs environment;
- Excellent research/analytical skills
- Superior writing ability, including preparation of high-quality communications materials for a variety of stakeholder audiences;
- Excellent planning, organizing, research, communications and critical thinking skills;
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office tools;
- Experience working with, and supporting, volunteer boards/committees preferred;
- Experience working with government ministries is a definite asset
- Knowledge of engineering-related sectors, such as energy, infrastructure, transportation is an asset;
- Willingness to work flexible/extended hours on occasion
To apply for this position, please forward a cover letter, resume and writing sample via email by April 15, 2013. OSPE thanks all applicants, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
OSPE supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates. Personal information contained in applications will be used for recruitment purposes and collected as per Freedom Of Information (F.O.I.) And Protection Of Privacy Act, 1987.
Indeed - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard