Ontario Public Service

Ontario Public Service Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very Good
Decommissioning Lead (Former Employee), Windsor ONJune 14, 2015
Managed employees , worked within a budget, oversaw attendance programs, recruitment, training of new staff.Worked as an executive member of a regional management team.
Very challenging and rewarding environment! Loved working here.
Administrative Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 19, 2015
Pros: Lots of room to grow within the OPS.
Cons: None
- Each day varied in terms of what had to be done, but expectations were very clear.
- The office was extremely fast paced, and brought many challenges to work through as a team and independently.
- Supervisors and Managers are very supportive to their staff, and encourage continuous learning.
- The branch consisted of maybe 42 people, and we all felt like a family..we were all able to work closely with one another and become strong team players with the upbeat environment we were in.
- If you are unable to handle stress or work in a fast-paced office, this role is not for you because your multitasking skills and ability to handle stress must be exceptional...over time I acquired these skills and am grateful.
- I loved my work and the fact that so many people relied on me...being their "go to" admin in the office, it was overall really great!
Basic Nursing with unique challenges
Staff Nurse (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Ample overtime
Cons: Lack of continuing education opportunities
Although basic, delivering Health Care when health care is not a priority is challenging and one has to learn to go with the flow whilst seeking to maintain professional standards. Although part of a team, the reality is that one is truly independent and accountable for one's
own nursing actions, decisions, documentation.
One would wish there could be more coming together outside of work but this does not prove feasible. If one can 'love' one's work, then, even after 12 years I still 'love' my work. My heart will always be with Palliative Care but I do enjoy the challenges in Corrections.
Need to have thick skin and handle incompetent Superintendent's who never worked the floor
Corrections Officer (Former Employee), GTA and LindsayMarch 23, 2015
Be ready for nothing but conflict. Nothing positive comes out of Corrections. Fights, harassment, divorce. Sleeping with each others spouces.
Decent Govt jobs
BUSINESS SERVICES ANALYST - FINANCE (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 24, 2015
The plus:
Not working after hours or weekends (most of the time)
usually aligned job responsibilities
matched pension

The minus:
Not much in compensation or benefits
Automotive Service Representative
Volunteer Probation Officer (Current Employee), MississaugaFebruary 12, 2015
Working here has made me work comfortably in a fast paced environment, As well as dealing with upset customers. Customer satisfaction is very important and you try to address the customers issue to keep them satisfied.
Did not receive performance or exit interviews
Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent (Former Employee), Kenora, ONFebruary 5, 2015
OPS employees (contract included) are to receive quarterly performance interviews and an exit interview at the end of the contract. None received.
Government
Senior Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2015
Government. OPS. Ontario Public Service is a great place to work. Good work culture. Easily accessible by TTC subway. Great work environment.
Diverse staff and clientele
Administrative Support Staff (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 7, 2014
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: hard to get in
Working for OPS is is great employment once your are in permanently. Unfortunately most employees are on contract with no job security. It can take a long time to get a permanent position. Once your in it is job security great pay and benefits.
Public Service - Provincial
Health Care Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 23, 2014
Management of operational resources and working with professional nurses to deliver care.
GoodLuck You Will Need It
Mechanic (FSWB) (Former Employee), OrilliaJune 21, 2013
Pros: most of the mechanics are great to work with
Cons: way too many to list here.
I worked there under a contract and did everything asked of me and I did the work a lot better than most of the guy's there. That's not coming from me either that is coming from the mechanic's I worked with. I even trained some of there guy's on how to do there job. These guy's haven't worked in the real work in a long time and just think everything should be given to them.
The management is a joke. You will not get a job there unless you know someone. Almost everyone there knows someone who works there. Usually a family member but if the boss has a friend or a Neighbour that needs a job well then your out of luck. This includes all of them right from the foreman to the Commissioner.
If your a pathetic spoiled slug too lazy to work, then this is your new home
Captain (Former Employee), Penetanguishene, ONFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: lazy coworkers, no support for supervisors, corrupt environment full of closed door deals and liars everywhere.
The Union controls the MCSCS and always will. Everyone in upper management got there by stabbing several people in the back and being a coward yes man controled by their corrupt Superintendents. Most of the Officers are spoiled kids afraid to get their hands dirty and think the world owes them everything because they were the only ones who could go to the academy while not getting paid and still living at home. Inmates have more rights than the officers and other employees. Operational Managers actually do all the stressful work and diffuse the problems the CO's (blue shirts) start. When something goes wrong the Union points at the OM's and Upper Management does the same giving no support to the OM's (white shirts) and leaving them to fight for their job since they have no representation. If your a middle aged blue collared decent person with people skills and life experiences Stay Away! as you will be the minority surrounded by spoiled kids with badges and no real skills whatsoever who like to stir the pot in a risky environment. About 20% of the Officers are hardworking Professionals with good people skills, but they are an endangered species in provincial corrections. Very stressful and politically corrupt environment.
Great summer experience program.
Assistant Probation Officer (Former Employee), Midland ONFebruary 12, 2013
Summer experience program really opened my eyes to how the justice system works. Was able to see different aspects of being a probation officer and how a typical day works.
I would describe my former place of employment as a professional environment with high expectations
Probation and Parole Officer (Former Employee), Collingwood Ontario , and Sudbury OntarioOctober 26, 2012
Pros: freedom of action
Cons: long hours
As a Probation and Parole officer , my day was filled with shifting priorities and demands I routinely supervised a large caseload of more then 100 people and wrote numerous reports for various judicial and quasi judicial bodies including the Ontario Court of Justice , the Superior Court of Justice and the the Ontario Parole and Earned Release Board .

I was also actively involved in processing various enforcement responsibilities and gave evidence on numerous occasions . I began my career in a satellite office and finished in a District office. As such I had exposure to working independently as well as under the direct supervision of an Area Manager .

I have had the pleasure of working with some exceptional people as well as exposure to rather caustic and negative people but always managed to display a pleasant and co operative outlook . I truly appreciated the ability to work independently without much oversight and felt that I had my employers confidence to do so in a meaningful and constructive manner.

The hardest part of the job was constant exposure to negativity and violence. I supervised people convicted of every conceivable crime crime at 15 minute intervals, 8 hours a day , I did not enjoy charging people as I fully appreciated the negative impact to them , balanced by the need to protect the best interests of society.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the realization that I was actually helping people and enabling them to live a crime free life style . I can state with authority, that I helped many people. I conclusion , this chapter of my life has ended and I am looking to move on to an occupation that I can transfer my existing skill set as well as engage in a setting that will provide ongoing learning and new challenges

About Ontario Public Service

Currently, there are over 25 ministries in the OPS, plus Cabinet Office, which supports the work of Cabinet and the Premier. There – Read more