Ontario Public Service

Ontario Public Service Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Public Service - Provincial
Health Care Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 23, 2014
Management of operational resources and working with professional nurses to deliver care.
GoodLuck You Will Need It
Mechanic (FSWB) (Former Employee), OrilliaJune 21, 2013
Pros: most of the mechanics are great to work with
Cons: way too many to list here.
I worked there under a contract and did everything asked of me and I did the work a lot better than most of the guy's there. That's not coming from me either that is coming from the mechanic's I worked with. I even trained some of there guy's on how to do there job. These guy's haven't worked in the real work in a long time and just think everything – more... should be given to them.
The management is a joke. You will not get a job there unless you know someone. Almost everyone there knows someone who works there. Usually a family member but if the boss has a friend or a Neighbour that needs a job well then your out of luck. This includes all of them right from the foreman to the Commissioner. – less
If your a pathetic spoiled slug too lazy to work, then this is your new home
Captain (Former Employee), Penetanguishene, ONFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: lazy coworkers, no support for supervisors, corrupt environment full of closed door deals and liars everywhere.
The Union controls the MCSCS and always will. Everyone in upper management got there by stabbing several people in the back and being a coward yes man controled by their corrupt Superintendents. Most of the Officers are spoiled kids afraid to get their hands dirty and think the world owes them everything because they were the only ones who could go – more... to the academy while not getting paid and still living at home. Inmates have more rights than the officers and other employees. Operational Managers actually do all the stressful work and diffuse the problems the CO's (blue shirts) start. When something goes wrong the Union points at the OM's and Upper Management does the same giving no support to the OM's (white shirts) and leaving them to fight for their job since they have no representation. If your a middle aged blue collared decent person with people skills and life experiences Stay Away! as you will be the minority surrounded by spoiled kids with badges and no real skills whatsoever who like to stir the pot in a risky environment. About 20% of the Officers are hardworking Professionals with good people skills, but they are an endangered species in provincial corrections. Very stressful and politically corrupt environment. – less
Great summer experience program.
Assistant Probation Officer (Former Employee), Midland ONFebruary 12, 2013
Summer experience program really opened my eyes to how the justice system works. Was able to see different aspects of being a probation officer and how a typical day works.
I would describe my former place of employment as a professional environment with high expectations
Probation and Parole Officer (Former Employee), Collingwood Ontario , and Sudbury OntarioOctober 26, 2012
Pros: freedom of action
Cons: long hours
As a Probation and Parole officer , my day was filled with shifting priorities and demands I routinely supervised a large caseload of more then 100 people and wrote numerous reports for various judicial and quasi judicial bodies including the Ontario Court of Justice , the Superior Court of Justice and the the Ontario Parole and Earned Release Board – more... .

I was also actively involved in processing various enforcement responsibilities and gave evidence on numerous occasions . I began my career in a satellite office and finished in a District office. As such I had exposure to working independently as well as under the direct supervision of an Area Manager .

I have had the pleasure of working with some exceptional people as well as exposure to rather caustic and negative people but always managed to display a pleasant and co operative outlook . I truly appreciated the ability to work independently without much oversight and felt that I had my employers confidence to do so in a meaningful and constructive manner.

The hardest part of the job was constant exposure to negativity and violence. I supervised people convicted of every conceivable crime crime at 15 minute intervals, 8 hours a day , I did not enjoy charging people as I fully appreciated the negative impact to them , balanced by the need to protect the best interests of society.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the realization that I was actually helping people and enabling them to live a crime free life style . I can state with authority, that I helped many people. I conclusion , this chapter of my life has ended and I am looking to move on to an occupation that I can transfer my existing skill set as well as engage in a setting that will provide ongoing learning and new challenges – less
Good place with great coworkers
Technical I.T Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 8, 2012
Pros: great workers
Got experience in working in an office environment.
Always something to do.

About Ontario Public Service

Currently, there are over 25 ministries in the OPS, plus Cabinet Office, which supports the work of Cabinet and the Premier. There – Read more