Ontario Provincial Police Employee Reviews

Wonderful workplace with a great workplace culture.
Guard (Current Employee) –  Kenora, ON21 September 2017
I love my job with the O.P.P. however, I am a contract worker and am not guaranteed any particular amount of hours. I work with great people, I have developed a great rapport with many of the prisoners that I guard. The hardest part of my job is watching people make mistakes that affect both them and their families for years to come. Many of them are unable to break free of the system and the revolving door of prison. The most enjoyable part of my job is that no day is uniform. Each day presents a new situation with new challenges. I learn a lot and I see a lot.
Pros
Very interesting.
Cons
Limited hours of work time
Great olace to work.
ASSISTANT TO DETACHMENT COMMANDER (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON5 August 2017
Great place to work. Really enjoyed this job as well as the numerous people I worked with. The salary, pension and benefits were great and I learned a lot of different types of jobs over the years.
Pros
Salary
Summer Student - Administrative Assistant
Summer Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON20 July 2017
Building excel programs and VBA code, Having to bridge together multiple files and display them in an orderly manner. Assisting others with conditional formatting and user forms
Pros
Great people
great work variety
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON21 June 2017
Awesome place to work. Great opportunity for decision making. Satisfying work where most days you feel like you make a difference. Some days are definitely more challenging than others.
Pros
Condensed work weeks.
Cons
Shift work
well paying slow job
Monitor (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON16 June 2017
this was a very demanding job as it was very slow paced but had a great pay it was only contract at this time and the case i was on did not require the extra staff usually required.
Pros
pay
Cons
contract
Demanding Position
Team Leader, Uniform Duty, Breathalyzer Operator (Former Employee) –  Ontario27 April 2017
Overall an excellent place to work, takes a great deal of commitment it you wish to advance yourself. Relocation is necessary, overall however it was an excellent employment choice
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Stress
good place
Night Guard (Former Employee) –  Embrun, ON13 April 2017
Supervise prisoner(s) during incarceration which consists of confiscating personal items upon arrival and note complete inventory of confiscated items, monitoring behaviour and complete regular reports on assessment, accompany detainee at all times, and supervise transfers.
Pros
good money. work alone
Cons
nights only
lots of potential
Detective Constable Organized Crime Section (Current Employee) –  London, ON24 January 2017
not a team environment anymore, however, a great place to make money for those who have some education, are ethnic minorities or women. The smartest individuals never do a lick of work in 30 years but spend their time working on getting promoted to useless positions without ever suffering the stresses of being a real police officer
awful
Personal Fitness Trainer Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ON3 October 2016
they are a horrible employer. I would not recommend working for them. go with a city police force not OPP. disorganized and does not stick up for their employees
Great part time job
Jail Guard/Matron - Permanent/Part-time (Former Employee) –  Temiskaming Shores, ON27 August 2016
In securing the area of work, either at the detachment or at the court house, all involved are working within, to create a safe environment. From arriving to the location, making sure all information is passed along to all individuals involved, that the equipment is working properly and that a calm atmosphere is present, the job offers a great deal of camaraderie, professionalism and security. You must always be ready for the surprises such as an ailing or mentally handicapped prisoner, or one that could easily harm themselves or others. Keeping up-to-date with procedures, culture requirements, duties and preparedness, all workers can rely on a consistent work day.
Pros
Keeping a community safe.
Cons
Having to deal with irate prisoners.
Very professional police working environment.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON2 June 2016
The Ontario Provincial Police is an excellent employer where many opportunities are provided to members to develop their skills and attributes. Leadership skills are developed in each member.
Pros
Excellent training.
Cons
Nil.
Productive workplace, amazing staff
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON25 May 2016
Over all an amazing place to work
Hours, pay and coworkers are all outstanding

They invest in their employees and have their back
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Neat job
Cruiser Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Listowel, ON17 April 2016
Found this job to be very interesting at time, as i cleaned many different things in the cars at times. Really enjoyed it there though and loved worker for the officers.
Challenging and Rewarding Environment
Platoon Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK14 December 2015
Fantastic career environment.
Great career for furthering your education, and preparing for retirement.

A must if you want a rewarding vocation.
Not only a great employer but family.
Regional Commander (Former Employee) –  Orillia19 September 2015
Always on the high road and always for the good of the people. After my 30 years I miss the force, its people and challenges.
Absolutely great atmosphere
Building Caretaker (Former Employee) –  South Porcupine, ON23 August 2015
Helpful and team work exceptional
Great physical workout
Wonderful learning experience
Good wages and benefits
Pros
Amazing place to work
Cons
contract renewals
excellent wages
Cell Guard/Matron (On call) (Former Employee) –  Dryden, ON13 May 2015
didn't like being on call all the time with no promise off work. great wages though, some downfall was some of the officers.
Pros
great wages
Cons
being on call at all hours.
Excellent Career Choice
Provincial Constable (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON29 January 2015
For anyone that has ever dreamed of being a police officer, apply to the OPP.
Pros
Excellent benefit and job opportunities outside of front line policing
Cons
Shift work
working with deadlines
Detachment Admin. Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2015
Provide quality in-person, front reception client services by providing timely and accurate information to their inquiries in a high-volume environment
Well organized, highly motivated team player
Committed, reliable, hardworking individual with strong organization skills
Excellent communication, time management and effective problem solving skills
Work productively within a fast-paced environment and extremely detail and task oriented
Hire employees on cotract and full-time basis
work with deadlines
Prepare budget forecast, financial audit & bill payments
Fantastic place to work, loved every part of my job
Case Preparation Analyst Technician (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON1 October 2014
This was such a rewarding area to work, and the professionalism of such an organization was such a delight and benefit.

It was a wonderfully paced position, my superiors were always wonderful mentors to explain certain areas of questions.

The hardest part of this job was that my contract ended and there were no other jobs available.

This was and is my overall favorite position I had and am so grateful for the wonderful opportunity it provided me.
Pros
Loved my position and my superiors I worked closely with
Cons
Contract, not permanent, no benefits