Ontario Provincial Police Employee Reviews

awful
Personal Fitness Trainer Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ON3 October 2016
they are a horrible employer. I would not recommend working for them. go with a city police force not OPP. disorganized and does not stick up for their employees
Wonderful experience, lifelong bonds made
Communications Operator (Dispatcher) (Former Employee) –  Smiths Falls, ON12 October 2012
Fast-faced, blood-pumping one minute, then watching paint dry the next. You must be prepared at any moment to be dealing with a crisis, and to be on your A game.
I worked with fabulous could-workers some of whom will be lifelong friends. I say the same of most of the management. Everyone pitched in at the end of the day to get the job done.
Hardest part of the job was the twelve hour rotations. With four kids it took a toll.
The most enjoyable part was the comraderie when things were hectic, as well as the sense of accomplishment when things worked out in the end.
Pros
salary
Cons
rotating shifts 3-2 is hard with a large family
Very professional police working environment.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON2 June 2016
The Ontario Provincial Police is an excellent employer where many opportunities are provided to members to develop their skills and attributes. Leadership skills are developed in each member.
Pros
Excellent training.
Cons
Nil.
Fantastic place to work, loved every part of my job
Case Preparation Analyst Technician (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON1 October 2014
This was such a rewarding area to work, and the professionalism of such an organization was such a delight and benefit.

It was a wonderfully paced position, my superiors were always wonderful mentors to explain certain areas of questions.

The hardest part of this job was that my contract ended and there were no other jobs available.

This was and is my overall favorite position I had and am so grateful for the wonderful opportunity it provided me.
Pros
Loved my position and my superiors I worked closely with
Cons
Contract, not permanent, no benefits
Absolutely great atmosphere
Building Caretaker (Former Employee) –  South Porcupine, ON23 August 2015
Helpful and team work exceptional
Great physical workout
Wonderful learning experience
Good wages and benefits
Pros
Amazing place to work
Cons
contract renewals
Productive workplace, amazing staff
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON25 May 2016
Over all an amazing place to work
Hours, pay and coworkers are all outstanding

They invest in their employees and have their back
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Neat job
Cruiser Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Listowel, ON17 April 2016
Found this job to be very interesting at time, as i cleaned many different things in the cars at times. Really enjoyed it there though and loved worker for the officers.
Excellent Career
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON24 June 2014
The most exciting career a person can have. Spent 30 years on a policing career and then retired.
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
A very interesting, diverse position
Matron (female guard) presently employeed (Former Employee) –  Dufferin and Wellington counties9 October 2013
Arriving on time, obtaining the necessary paper work for each prisoner; recording and physically observing each person every 15 minutes; until signing off at end of shift.
I have learned a lot about human nature from their up bringing, culture, religion and different environments.
Management and co-workers have always been compassionate, caring, understanding and helpful with prisoners and other employees.
The hardest part of the job is when the young offenders are arrested and brought to the holding cells.
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with most of the prisoners and with the staff.
Pros
You are learning something new on every shift
Challenging and Rewarding Environment
Platoon Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK14 December 2015
Fantastic career environment.
Great career for furthering your education, and preparing for retirement.

A must if you want a rewarding vocation.
It was a good experience.Wearing a uniform and being for the most part respected as a officer of the law.
Police officer (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh ontario11 October 2012
Did much growing up. Salary was decent, but going to Hiram Walkers I almost doubled my salary.
Pros
being respected
Cons
at times dangerous
working with deadlines
Detachment Admin. Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2015
Provide quality in-person, front reception client services by providing timely and accurate information to their inquiries in a high-volume environment
Well organized, highly motivated team player
Committed, reliable, hardworking individual with strong organization skills
Excellent communication, time management and effective problem solving skills
Work productively within a fast-paced environment and extremely detail and task oriented
Hire employees on cotract and full-time basis
work with deadlines
Prepare budget forecast, financial audit & bill payments
Not only a great employer but family.
Regional Commander (Former Employee) –  Orillia19 September 2015
Always on the high road and always for the good of the people. After my 30 years I miss the force, its people and challenges.
Great experience, wonderful people to work with, very knowledgeable
Marine Patrol Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON24 May 2012
- Maintained the boat (Seaswirl Striper)
- Gathered equipment for the day (tickets, life jackets, keys for the boat)
- Trailered the boat
- Assisted police officers with report writing, note taking, arrests, stopping vessels and vehicles, promoting safe boating practices, and enforcement of various legislation including Highway Traffic Act, Small Vessels Regulations, Criminal Code, Liquor License Act, Canada Shipping Act, and Contraventions Act
Pros
gain experience in enforcement, note writing, administrative skills
Cons
none; very fulfilling, great experience
Ontario Provincial Police
Auxillary Constable (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 August 2013
I attended the Ontario Provincial Police College, and completed the curriculum at Aylmer Police College as well. 2 of my subjects were below 75%, therefore, they were not able to advance me to constable status. Sadly, Ontario had just cut the budget for OPP funding, and could not afford to have me re-do these courses. It was disappointing to me, but I believe that had this not occurred, I would not have met my husband, and had our son, if I had been working with the OPP. I guess everything happens for a reason.
Pros
great learning opportunity
Cons
did not advance to level I had hoped
enforce the MSVA
SPECIAL CONSTABLE (Current Employee) –  Perth, ON21 May 2014
Duties: Enforce the Motorized Snowmobile Vehicle Act, Highway Traffic Act as it pertains to snowmobiles, Arrest, transport and detain in accordance with these acts, Keep record of all patrols and information, obtaining information and preparing reports or case histories, preparing crown briefs, laying charges and issuing Provincial Offence Notices Part 1 and 3, appearing in court, arrest and rights procedures and inputting daily patrol reports into a centralized computer system, complete patrols on a regular basis, work with OPP Officers in the line of duty.
Intense work. Very interesting though.
Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON29 August 2012
Enjoyed every moment of my time at the OPP. Learned a lot about the CJS even when I though I already knew it.
Long hours, but it was always worth it.
Rewarding work.
Pros
great people throughout the organization
Cons
you really discover the worst of humanity.
Civilian Radio Operator, computer input technician
CRO (Former Employee) –  Hearst, ON6 September 2012
Shift work, varying. 5 on 2 off, for two weeks, then rotate, day, afternoon, graveyard shift

Responsible for dispatching cars to complaints, emergencies, assistance etc. 20 cars, 55 members.
Responsible for front counter complaints, assistance, fluent in both French/English
Responsibile to in put information to computer, respond to member's requests for warrants, info searches etc
Assist in lockup.
Pros
steady, but demanding
Cons
unknown variables could arise anytime. working indoors fulltime
excellent wages
Cell Guard/Matron (On call) (Former Employee) –  Dryden, ON13 May 2015
didn't like being on call all the time with no promise off work. great wages though, some downfall was some of the officers.
Pros
great wages
Cons
being on call at all hours.
Co-op Student
Student Co-op (Former Employee) –  Arnprior, ON7 May 2013
Ride alongs with police officers and learning about the criminal code. Police Constables were great to work with and when not busy with own prioritys they would educate and help me as much as they could. Hardest part was witnessing some of the crime that went on in the small town where I grew up. Most enjoyable was experiencing the everyday life of a police officer.
Pros
Great experience overall
Cons
Police officers were very busy

4.3