Ontario Power Generation Employee Reviews

great place to work
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ON24 March 2016
I was a student there and i was getting paid more then my parents.

They are a good company but very hard to get into. Unless you are an engineer or have a specialized job set forget it.

if you get in your set for life but a lot of contract work.

Very conscious about job safety
Pros
very well paid
Cons
hard to attain a job
Worked in the Human Resources Dept., Had many responsibilities.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2013
I learned how important it it to really assert yourself in big companies like this otherwise you get laid off or lose your job.

Ontario Power Generation was a highly paying Company but I had to leave due to power politics.
Pros
Very good benefits and an excellent salary
Cons
You don't know when you will be asked to leave inspite of giving your best
I enjoyed all the different poositions I held while working there.
Housekeeping and other duties when required (Former Employee) –  Toronto and Pickering23 March 2016
I enjoyed the 27 years that I worked at Ontario Hydro/Ontario Power Generation as it is a company that has may opportunities available for individuals.
Control Technician co-op (Former Employee) –  Control technician16 April 2016
every job is very well planned and organized the work is completed as safe as possible. a lot of team work to come up with solutions to problems
Professional Organization
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pickering, Ontario3 August 2015
Great people, and culture. Interesting industry. Great management. Great hours. Enjoyable work. A great place to be a part of.
Great pay... Zero respect given by senior Management
Nuclear Response Force (Current Employee) –  Leader, SK9 January 2016
Security is run by a bunch of ex RCMP dictators... Do as I say not as I do attitude. Won't even say hello to uniform staff. Don't want to hear your concerns or suggestions. Treat the staff like garbage.
First Line Managers are great... Know how to lead from the front and take care of their people
Pros
Pay
Cons
Shifts and Senior Managers
OPG Nanticoke Coal Power Plant
General Trades (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ON5 March 2013
In this position I would perform fire watch duties on any hot work performed during shutdowns. I was involved with various projects such as infrastructure surveys including structural stability analysis, and compressed air systems. Additionally, I earned steam time towards my power engineering license.
Management at this plant was a well organized, congruent team that functioned well under pressure and tight time lines.
My coworkers were all great people that helped me learn about the various systems involved in generating electrical power.
The most difficult part of the job was working night shifts; I had very little time to spend with my family.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being involved with a strong management team and it was a great developmental opportunity.
Pros
• good pay • great management • helpful coworkers
Cons
• straight nights • weekends
Great Place
2nd Class Stationary Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ON5 December 2015
Great Place to work, got along with everyone management would always here my concerns and work with me on any problems although I can't recall any major problems.
People are awesome to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario7 June 2012
I helped the V.P.'s, Managers and other staff. I helped with things they could not get to. I booked travel, accomodations, car rentals, conference rooms, materials required for meetings, meeting beverages and food. I created, submitted and approved expense reports. Management and co-workers are great. There really wasn't a hard part of the job except for maybe getting more challenging things to do. I believe I am a jack of all trades and will try and find our or figure out anything if I can. I enjoy helping people - it makes me feel good.
Pros
a gym right downstairs
Cons
not enough challenges
manage new build and facility modifications for Nuclear Waste Division
Supervising Project Engineer/ Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2012
Meet with client and define business needs.
Submit business case for senior management approval.
Prepare scope of work & coordinate RFP package.
Review EPC vendor proposals and negotiate contracts.
For larger building projects, manage Owner Engineer contacts an
Coordinate design approvals with internal stakeholders.
Administer EPC contractors including safety and environmental planning and approval.
Engineering change controls.
Coordinate Regulatory approval.
Project closeout.
Great bunch of men ,afty job 1
Construction site labour (Former Employee) –  Niagara falls Ontario10 July 2012
Construction site lbour,keeping site cleaned up,how to work with out side contractors ie:sub trades. Management very clear on my job discription and resposabilitiesCo-workers very helpfull,always ndigging in,lending a hand.Very busy site,always double checking to make sure things were secure and safe Being accepted as part of the team and not just a labourer from the labourers union local 837 Hamilton.
Pros
was offerd full time with ontario power generation, but union said no
Cons
missed oppertunity, after working so hard to make a good imprestion for the hydro
Excellent place to work. Always looked forward to going to see what was in-store for the day.
Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  Courtright, ON25 March 2013
Typical Day at Work
Each morning before the day started everyone gathered around for a safety meeting.Everyone was assigned their jobs for the day.I was fortunate enough to work with some amazing and talented co- workers.Most days I was welding in a confined space. After I was done welding a section I would have to wait for an inspector to come and examine my work. This was basically a typical day at work for me.

What I Learned
While on the job I learned new welding techniques, tons of safety training and the importance of trust with the people I worked with.

The management there conducted themselves in a very professional manner.

Co-Workers
I was fortunate enough to work with a talented group of people.

Hardest Part of the Job
For me the hardest part was getting comfortable enough to work in confined areas.

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job
I enjoyed the job itself, I am the kind of person who likes to work and stay busy. The atmosphere and the people I got to work with was a great experience.
Pros
over time and great wages.
Cons
the weather.
A dream company to work with
Documentation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON9 August 2015
I worked only as contractor for the company and I find not a very enjoyable place to work but as a security of job and benefits it's a very good company
Excellent place to work
Office Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON14 May 2013
I had 3 consecutive clerical contract with Ontario Power Generation and held many different positions. The knowledge I gained was invaluable and the staff and management were excellent to work with. This company has solid core values, but unfortunately they are not hiring full-time.
Pros
Challenging, interesting work environment
Cons
Not hiring for any permanent clerical positions
Amazing Co-op Experience
Control Maintenance Technician Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Clarington, Ontario8 May 2013
Every day there were new problems to solve, and it was very interesting to see how the experienced members of the crew approached such trouble-shooting scenarios. The crew I was a part of was very welcoming and knowledgeable, and the supervisors were always accessible and willing to help or answer any questions I had.
Pros
Good salary, friendly and knowledgable co-workers, interesting work
Cons
Having to drive on the 401 every day
Working in a very challenging environment, learning a lot of new engineering skills and getting supports from mangagement, society and co-workers
Technical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pickering7 April 2012
- I was loaded with lots of work every day.
- I had learned so many things in the areas of licensing and nuclear safety; e.g., how to perform nuclear safety assessments or analyses, nuclear design calculations; how to work independently as well as work in a team environment or matrix set up; how to put a nuclear licensing package submission together; how to manage work requests and completion on schedule for Section Mangers, Department Managers, as well as Station Engineering Directors etc
- The management had been very supportive in providing the necessary coaching and feedback.
- My Co-workers had been very supportive and co-operative in working towards a common goal or work objective.
- I did not consider the hardest part of the job to be an issue.
- The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was able to resolve the problem with a cost effective solution such that my Section Manager, Department Manager and Station Engineering Director were always pleased with my hard work or contributions.
Pros
working in a challenging environment, lots of support from management and co-workers.
Cons
negative factors not noticeable.
Ontario Power Generation
Field Shift Operating Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON28 July 2012
Ontario Power Generation is a very large corporation whose goal is to produce Electrical Power Safely, Economically while being a good Environmental Steward. As such, it has a wide variance of nuances that offers the right candidate the ability to contribute to the company goals. The employees are highly intelligent with a focus on Continuous Improvement. I had the opportunity to learn a great deal about the operation of a Nuclear Power Plant, but to me, the more important lessons I learned and applied were in the area of being a Supervisor. I learned what it takes to be an effective supervisor and that if you work hard to support the needs of those you supervise while maintaining a high standard performance with a clear set of expectations, you can positively effect the work performed. My track record as a supervisor supports that theory. My crews consistently showed improved performance and is well documented. If I had to say anything negative about this company, it is that I believe that there is a disjoint between Management and Supervision that could improve the whole operation and effectiveness of the people it employs. Other than that, this is very good company with high values and concern for the people it employs. My time with this company was full of life lessons and I enjoyed the job immensely even with the daily ups and downs. It provides an environment where people can experience personal growth as well as performing a job. You can get out of it what you put into it.
Pros
learning to deal with people and understanding that for most part, it is better to be pushed upward than to be pulled.
Cons
as much as a large company can afford upward mobility, people can get lost in the sheer numbers.
Great compensation, low stress
Database Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto27 July 2014
I enjoyed the challenge of optimizing their systems. They were largely neglected because most of their IT staff were engineers who did not receive adequate IT training.

Would not have achieved the spectacular results anywhere else.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Low turnover rate results in fewer opportunities
very high job culture
Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  pickering2 April 2015
providing engineering support to the plant personnel
applying code requirements to daily activities
follow management directions
share own knowledge and experience with co-workers
daily "fire fighting"
successful project completion
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
na
Most of the people are really great to work with.
Mechanical maintainer (Current Employee) –  Darlington, ON8 November 2015
I would like to be full time here but if I was to start full time here I would have to work at Pickering first which is just way too much commuting for me. Darlington is just the perfect distance for me.
Pros
Interesting work.
Cons
I don't do negative.

4.5