ONTARIO POWER GENERATION Employee Reviews in Canada

Very professional
2nd Class Stationary Engineer Steam Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Tiverton, ONDecember 5, 2015
This was a very professional work atmosphere yet I felt comfortable as to asking as many questions of the operations. I was told there was never a dumb question.
Great compensation, low stress
Database Analyst (Former Employee) –  TorontoJuly 27, 2014
I enjoyed the challenge of optimizing their systems. They were largely neglected because most of their IT staff were engineers who did not receive adequate IT training.

Would not have achieved the spectacular results anywhere else.
Pros
compensation and benefits
Cons
low turnover rate results in fewer opportunities
Well Cultured work environment
Developmental Student/Operating Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, ONSeptember 15, 2015
Job shadowing operating engineers. Learned the importance of electricity grid deadlines, learned the process and operation of steam cycle/power plant. Nice work environment, lots of guidance provided. Most enjoyable part of the job was the constant learning
Pros
Good Crew
Cons
shift work
Professional Organization
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pickering, OntarioAugust 3, 2015
Great people, and culture. Interesting industry. Great management. Great hours. Enjoyable work. A great place to be a part of.
great company
Assistant Approvals Officer (Current Employee) –  toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2015
a typical work day is very busy, extremely high level, challenging and goes by quickly. I have learned a lot regarding Board materials, government liason, executive management relations, working in a fast paced environment, dealing with confidential documents, report writing, presentation skills and working as a team. The hardest part of my job is the long hours and the most enjoyable part is the success at the end of the day after accomplishing all of my tasks.
Pros
great company
Cons
long commute
no review
Station Manager (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay OntarioOctober 3, 2015
Great people to work with. Unfortunately downsizing the business which does not align with my personal views for the strategic direction of the company
Pros
na
Cons
na
Decent work place. Some good workers.
Mechanical millwright apprentice CO-OP (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ONApril 22, 2013
Student millwright, more or less dragged along with other senior millwrights. watching over their shoulder and handing them tools. completing tasks they cannot do or would otherwise be difficult.

Basic mechanical millwright skills. Advanced time management. furthered mechanical reasoning and patterning skills.

decent management, did things to help and support crew.

mostly good co workers, not a whole lot of them as plant shutting down. all the best moved or snatched away. lots of good essential ones left. some bad apples, excelent support staff ie: cafeteria, stores and requisitions

hardest part of the job: rapidly changing climes, different co workers every day.

Most enjoyable part.: working on and repairing machines. learning how systems work, repairing.
Pros
good staff, sometimes did luncheon in the crew house put together by the crew
Cons
long hours, early mornings, sometimes sour co workers.
good place to work
Welder Fitter (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONMay 22, 2012
good place to work
great benifits and pay
all the people i worked with were great
You have a right to go home with all your body parts attached.
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJune 17, 2015
OPG is more than safety conscious, they are safety OBSESSED. This is not a bad thing. I've worked for OPG on three separate summers, both in a technical role and an administrative role and I can tell you that they take your safety seriously. They give back to the community and generally are a great organization to work for. 10/10 would go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
You never feel unsafe
Cons
Not applicable
Good luck getting a full-time position
Carpenter (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONJuly 2, 2013
Been working part-time at OPG well over a decade. With all the hard work, dedication, and experience I have put into this company, not once did I, or most of us hear of them offering to hire full-time in our department. Never saw an external posting that I check monthly. You can back track their external postings to a certain time frame. They said it was there to see. Only a few part-time people who knew of this were offered full-time positions......interesting. The candidates also beat out others (full-timers) through their internal postings. A grievance was submitted. They also hired no or little experience full-time workers who were family members. This was done with NO knowledge of a position offered in our department. Again, no external or internal postings. People who were hired full-time, had relatives in high positions in the company. Seems management was looking for a promotion, or had their hands tied. Funny, I had handed my resume' into this company long before these positions were offered, and no call. Money was great, and don't get me wrong, a good company to work for. Bottom line, I feel this company needs to review their hiring practices.
Pros
good income
Cons
what more can i say?
very high job culture
Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  pickeringApril 2, 2015
providing engineering support to the plant personnel
applying code requirements to daily activities
follow management directions
share own knowledge and experience with co-workers
daily "fire fighting"
successful project completion
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
na
OPG Nanticoke Coal Power Plant
General Trades (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ONMarch 5, 2013
In this position I would perform fire watch duties on any hot work performed during shutdowns. I was involved with various projects such as infrastructure surveys including structural stability analysis, and compressed air systems. Additionally, I earned steam time towards my power engineering license.
Management at this plant was a well organized, congruent team that functioned well under pressure and tight time lines.
My coworkers were all great people that helped me learn about the various systems involved in generating electrical power.
The most difficult part of the job was working night shifts; I had very little time to spend with my family.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being involved with a strong management team and it was a great developmental opportunity.
Pros
• good pay • great management • helpful coworkers
Cons
• straight nights • weekends
People are awesome to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioJune 7, 2012
I helped the V.P.'s, Managers and other staff. I helped with things they could not get to. I booked travel, accomodations, car rentals, conference rooms, materials required for meetings, meeting beverages and food. I created, submitted and approved expense reports. Management and co-workers are great. There really wasn't a hard part of the job except for maybe getting more challenging things to do. I believe I am a jack of all trades and will try and find our or figure out anything if I can. I enjoy helping people - it makes me feel good.
Pros
a gym right downstairs
Cons
not enough challenges
manage new build and facility modifications for Nuclear Waste Division
Supervising Project Engineer/ Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 30, 2012
Meet with client and define business needs.
Submit business case for senior management approval.
Prepare scope of work & coordinate RFP package.
Review EPC vendor proposals and negotiate contracts.
For larger building projects, manage Owner Engineer contacts an
Coordinate design approvals with internal stakeholders.
Administer EPC contractors including safety and environmental planning and approval.
Engineering change controls.
Coordinate Regulatory approval.
Project closeout.
Great bunch of men ,afty job 1
Construction site labour (Former Employee) –  Niagara falls OntarioJuly 10, 2012
Construction site lbour,keeping site cleaned up,how to work with out side contractors ie:sub trades. Management very clear on my job discription and resposabilitiesCo-workers very helpfull,always ndigging in,lending a hand.Very busy site,always double checking to make sure things were secure and safe Being accepted as part of the team and not just a labourer from the labourers union local 837 Hamilton.
Pros
was offerd full time with ontario power generation, but union said no
Cons
missed oppertunity, after working so hard to make a good imprestion for the hydro
Productive and goal orientated
First Line Managers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONFebruary 17, 2015
This company is really safety oriented especialy with it's radiation program. The training programs are next to none. Advancement within the company is second to none
Excellent place to work. Always looked forward to going to see what was in-store for the day.
Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  Courtright, ONMarch 25, 2013
Typical Day at Work
Each morning before the day started everyone gathered around for a safety meeting.Everyone was assigned their jobs for the day.I was fortunate enough to work with some amazing and talented co- workers.Most days I was welding in a confined space. After I was done welding a section I would have to wait for an inspector to come and examine my work. This was basically a typical day at work for me.

What I Learned
While on the job I learned new welding techniques, tons of safety training and the importance of trust with the people I worked with.

The management there conducted themselves in a very professional manner.

Co-Workers
I was fortunate enough to work with a talented group of people.

Hardest Part of the Job
For me the hardest part was getting comfortable enough to work in confined areas.

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job
I enjoyed the job itself, I am the kind of person who likes to work and stay busy. The atmosphere and the people I got to work with was a great experience.
Pros
over time and great wages.
Cons
the weather.
Very out going personality
Administrative Assistant in Maintenance Department (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, OntarioApril 7, 2015
I do admin support two managers from booking meeting to organizing calendars and taking minutes and actions. Answering calls helping where needed.
Pros
I worked throught my lunch and when I need time off, its never a problem
Excellent place to work
Office Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 14, 2013
I had 3 consecutive clerical contract with Ontario Power Generation and held many different positions. The knowledge I gained was invaluable and the staff and management were excellent to work with. This company has solid core values, but unfortunately they are not hiring full-time.
Pros
challenging, interesting work environment
Cons
not hiring for any permanent clerical positions
Great engineering and project management team with helpful upper management
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONNovember 24, 2014
Very knowledge and strong engineering talent is found at this company. Upper engagement is helpful in ensuring each team player fulfills personal growth goals and resources are provided to ensure professional growth. The company is understanding and knowledgeable of religious events observed by various employees. Always felt at home and would highly recommended to others.

4.5