ONTARIO POWER GENERATION

ONTARIO POWER GENERATION Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent Company
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONAugust 24, 2013
Pros: regular training
Cons: not applicable
Work environment is very good for hard-working people.
Team work is supported by the employer, and the technical staff is very dedicated.
Good luck getting a full-time position
Carpenter (Part-Time) (Former Employee), Pickering, ONJuly 2, 2013
Pros: good income
Cons: what more can i say?
Been working part-time at OPG well over a decade. With all the hard work, dedication, and experience I have put into this company, not once did I, or most of us hear of them offering to hire full-time in our department. Never saw an external posting that I check monthly. You can back track their external postings to a certain time frame. They said it was there to see. Only a few part-time people who knew of this were offered full-time positions......interesting. The candidates also beat out others (full-timers) through their internal postings. A grievance was submitted. They also hired no or little experience full-time workers who were family members. This was done with NO knowledge of a position offered in our department. Again, no external or internal postings. People who were hired full-time, had relatives in high positions in the company. Seems management was looking for a promotion, or had their hands tied. Funny, I had handed my resume' into this company long before these positions were offered, and no call. Money was great, and don't get me wrong, a good company to work for. Bottom line, I feel this company needs to review their hiring practices.
Excellent place to work
Office Support Representative (Former Employee), Pickering, ONMay 14, 2013
Pros: challenging, interesting work environment
Cons: not hiring for any permanent clerical positions
I had 3 consecutive clerical contract with Ontario Power Generation and held many different positions. The knowledge I gained was invaluable and the staff and management were excellent to work with. This company has solid core values, but unfortunately they are not hiring full-time.
cowboy shop
Senior Consultant (Audit) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 1, 2013
As close as it can get to be the wild west!
If you are not part of the big boys club you are practically condemned to be stagnant for the rest of your days!
Decent work place. Some good workers.
Mechanical millwright apprentice CO-OP (Former Employee), Nanticoke, ONApril 22, 2013
Pros: good staff, sometimes did luncheon in the crew house put together by the crew
Cons: long hours, early mornings, sometimes sour co workers.
Student millwright, more or less dragged along with other senior millwrights. watching over their shoulder and handing them tools. completing tasks they cannot do or would otherwise be difficult.

Basic mechanical millwright skills. Advanced time management. furthered mechanical reasoning and patterning skills.

decent management, did things to help and support crew.

mostly good co workers, not a whole lot of them as plant shutting down. all the best moved or snatched away. lots of good essential ones left. some bad apples, excelent support staff ie: cafeteria, stores and requisitions

hardest part of the job: rapidly changing climes, different co workers every day.

Most enjoyable part.: working on and repairing machines. learning how systems work, repairing.
Co-op Student (Former Employee), Tiverton, ONMarch 25, 2013
Pros: good pay
Very fun place to work with caring supervisors. I learned a lot working here and there was always someone to answer any questions that I may of had.
Excellent place to work. Always looked forward to going to see what was in-store for the day.
Mechanical Technician (Former Employee), Courtright, ONMarch 25, 2013
Pros: over time and great wages.
Cons: the weather.
Typical Day at Work
Each morning before the day started everyone gathered around for a safety meeting.Everyone was assigned their jobs for the day.I was fortunate enough to work with some amazing and talented co- workers.Most days I was welding in a confined space. After I was done welding a section I would have to wait for an inspector to come and examine my work. This was basically a typical day at work for me.

What I Learned
While on the job I learned new welding techniques, tons of safety training and the importance of trust with the people I worked with.

The management there conducted themselves in a very professional manner.

Co-Workers
I was fortunate enough to work with a talented group of people.

Hardest Part of the Job
For me the hardest part was getting comfortable enough to work in confined areas.

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job
I enjoyed the job itself, I am the kind of person who likes to work and stay busy. The atmosphere and the people I got to work with was a great experience.
Office Support Representative (Former Employee), Pickering Nuclear PlantMarch 20, 2013
Pros: abie to learn a lot about the company.
Cons: only hired temp postions.
I learned quite a bit working for OPG. Wish I could have gotten in full time.
OPG Nanticoke Coal Power Plant
General Trades (Former Employee), Nanticoke, ONMarch 5, 2013
Pros: • good pay • great management • helpful coworkers
Cons: • straight nights • weekends
In this position I would perform fire watch duties on any hot work performed during shutdowns. I was involved with various projects such as infrastructure surveys including structural stability analysis, and compressed air systems. Additionally, I earned steam time towards my power engineering license.
Management at this plant was a well organized, congruent team that functioned well under pressure and tight time lines.
My coworkers were all great people that helped me learn about the various systems involved in generating electrical power.
The most difficult part of the job was working night shifts; I had very little time to spend with my family.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being involved with a strong management team and it was a great developmental opportunity.
Co-op Summary
Summer Student (Former Employee), Gravenhurst, ONJanuary 16, 2013
I gained experience and knowledge about power generation from my two summer co-ops at OPG. I managed to see inside the plants and even inside some of the equipment. It was a great experience.
Great job
Front Line Manager (FLM) (Former Employee), Pickering OntarioDecember 17, 2012
Very rewarding job. Losts of challanges. Great pay. Probably the best job I've ever had.
Only 7.5 hrs working per day
Service Desk Agent (Former Employee), Pickering, ONSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: free coffe/tea
Nice work place. Quiet.Friendly co-workers. Up to date documetation to do the day to day work. Instant company updates.
Fantastic Place to work
Cost & Scheduling Intern (Developmental Student) (Former Employee), Project ReportingSeptember 8, 2012
A fantastic place to work! You are surrounded by extremely intelligent and hard working individuals who motivate you to do better in every aspect of your job.
Amazing company to work for
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 31, 2012
People were very supportive, Received two complimentary e-mails from co-workers.
Intense procedures.
Control Technician (Current Employee), Tiverton, ONAugust 22, 2012
Pros: safe work environment
Cons: intense procedures, very sensitive workforce
No overtime, no chance of a full time job, no chance of using 25 years experience in the Electrical industry.
Specialized and Unique Industry
Instrumentation & Control Technician (Former Employee), Pickering, ONAugust 14, 2012
Spent two years on Appendix A working as as Instrumentation and Control Technician. I value my experience at OPG nuclear greatly. I was exposed to instrumentation and technology not seen in any other industry. I appreciate my time, experience and training very much, the other Technicians and co-workers at OPG are some of the most qualified and competent people I've ever met. I enjoyed the work, people and industry.
Ontario Power Generation
Field Shift Operating Supervisor (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONJuly 28, 2012
Pros: learning to deal with people and understanding that for most part, it is better to be pushed upward than to be pulled.
Cons: as much as a large company can afford upward mobility, people can get lost in the sheer numbers.
Ontario Power Generation is a very large corporation whose goal is to produce Electrical Power Safely, Economically while being a good Environmental Steward. As such, it has a wide variance of nuances that offers the right candidate the ability to contribute to the company goals. The employees are highly intelligent with a focus on Continuous Improvement. I had the opportunity to learn a great deal about the operation of a Nuclear Power Plant, but to me, the more important lessons I learned and applied were in the area of being a Supervisor. I learned what it takes to be an effective supervisor and that if you work hard to support the needs of those you supervise while maintaining a high standard performance with a clear set of expectations, you can positively effect the work performed. My track record as a supervisor supports that theory. My crews consistently showed improved performance and is well documented. If I had to say anything negative about this company, it is that I believe that there is a disjoint between Management and Supervision that could improve the whole operation and effectiveness of the people it employs. Other than that, this is very good company with high values and concern for the people it employs. My time with this company was full of life lessons and I enjoyed the job immensely even with the daily ups and downs. It provides an environment where people can experience personal growth as well as performing a job. You can get out of it what you put into it.
Highly ethical and respectable company in Ontario
Senior Technical Engineer (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJuly 27, 2012
Pros: respectable reputation and image, bright future
Cons: confidential
Work day is usually busy with lots of discussions, messages, meetings, future planning and developing new designs for future.
Learned about design, engineering, high standards of ethics,
Employees have a great sense of contributing to the company more than earning.
Co-workers: Experts in their fields
Hardest part of the job: Remaining idle
To see a determination and synnergy of various groups and highly educated and experienced leaders to drive forward in order to achieve objectives.
Great bunch of men ,afty job 1
Construction site labour (Former Employee), Niagara falls OntarioJuly 10, 2012
Pros: was offerd full time with ontario power generation, but union said no
Cons: missed oppertunity, after working so hard to make a good imprestion for the hydro
Construction site lbour,keeping site cleaned up,how to work with out side contractors ie:sub trades. Management very clear on my job discription and resposabilitiesCo-workers very helpfull,always ndigging in,lending a hand.Very busy site,always double checking to make sure things were secure and safe Being accepted as part of the team and not just a labourer from the labourers union local 837 Hamilton.
Supportive atmosphere, room for development as a student
Developmental Intern, Reporting and Controls (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJuly 6, 2012
As an eight-month developmental student working in Nuclear Refurbishment, I was always provided with new challenges and opportunities to further myself. My manager provided excellent opportunities equivalent to a full-time worker that allowed me to set goals, and establish myself as an individual within the organization.

I worked to manage the spending, forecasting and cost allocation for a major nuclear project. I worked heavily in Microsoft Excel, developing methods to accurately manage the spending and costs. I worked directly with the Finance department to help manage accruals, spending, purchase orders, and organizational and change requests.

I was able to learn much about the industry, how to communicate with others, was able to conduct many presentations, and how to effectively meet deadlines. The hardest part of my job was picking up where another student had left off, with zero training or information provided on how to effectively do the job. When I left after about eight and a half months, I had successfully created a large binder to be used by the entire department on how to most efficiently complete the tasks that role required.

What was most enjoyable about this experience was being able to work in the initial stages of a large, multi-million dollar project. It was exciting to be able to assist in the development and management of the costs to such an important project that aims to benefit the entire province.