ONTARIO POWER GENERATION Employee Reviews

Great place to work, Wish I could go back
Student Nuclear Operator (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONFebruary 9, 2016
It was a friendly, supportive atmosphere. Everybody there was willing to teach you something, so long as you showed the initiative to ask and provided you had the willingness and patience to learn.

Typical Day: 12 hr day, begins with pre-job brief, ends with post-job brief. Manageable workload given inbetween. Rotating between night and day shift is most difficult part. Working with amazing people is the most important part.
Pros
everything
Cons
inbetween shifts all you do is end up sleeping
Typical and very compliant legal environment
Librarian/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 5, 2016
At OPG they encouraged employees to take cognizance of their work/life balance and effective team building, through their gym facilities and WL days.

This being a legal department allowed additional learning of researching law cases, which further enhances my financial background.
Pros
Flexibility
Great pay... Zero respect given by senior Management
Nuclear Response Force (Current Employee) –  Leader, SKJanuary 9, 2016
Security is run by a bunch of ex RCMP dictators... Do as I say not as I do attitude. Won't even say hello to uniform staff. Don't want to hear your concerns or suggestions. Treat the staff like garbage.
First Line Managers are great... Know how to lead from the front and take care of their people
Pros
Pay
Cons
Shifts and Senior Managers
internal audit
Manager of Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 9, 2016
Not an environment that foster professional growth. Employees seem to be very unhappy and stressed. Vacation time or sick time difficult to take and the department is struggling with moral issues.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
stressful environment
Great Work Environment
Assistant Technical Engineer/Officer (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONDecember 21, 2015
The work environment is great.

The salary is also up to industry standards that is not disappointing at all.

Management is quick and helpful to answer your question, but becoming permanent from temp is a million dollar question.

Once permanent, do not worry about job security.

Despite having good enough salary, they are really horrible at giving benefits and paid vacation days. For example, in Christmas, only 25, 26 and 1st are off even if one or all of them falls in weekends. Most rivals are way better and flexible that way.
Great Place
2nd Class Stationary Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ONDecember 5, 2015
Great Place to work, got along with everyone management would always here my concerns and work with me on any problems although I can't recall any major problems.
Productive work in my field of studies
Information Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 4, 2015
I enjoyed working at Ontario Power Generation as assignment:

* was in my field of studies
* was diverse
* helped me to develop new skills such as project management, software design and development
* contained a great deal of troubleshooting and systematic problem solving

A typical day was checking the systems operation, resolving problems, planning and working on systems enhancement and development and learning about new tools.
Pros
10 minutes travel time to work
Cons
it was a short term contract - maternity leave replacement
Most of the people are really great to work with.
Mechanical maintainer (Current Employee) –  Darlington, ONNovember 8, 2015
I would like to be full time here but if I was to start full time here I would have to work at Pickering first which is just way too much commuting for me. Darlington is just the perfect distance for me.
Pros
Interesting work.
Cons
I don't do negative.
Focused and safest place that I have ever worked in, so far.
Construction Manager, Darlington Refurbishment (Current Employee) –  Darlington, ONNovember 3, 2015
The Darlington Refurbishment, of the 4 nuclear reactors, is Ontario's largest mega project. My current days include negotiations with 10 of the 17 Building Trade Unions that OPG deals with. As of Nov 3rd we have deals with 8 of the 10. My other current duties is staffing the Construction Department with capable, competent, and qualified personnel both from internal and external postings.
In every position I have had it is the people that make the work day. Enjoying their companionship, dedication and knowledge in getting things done.
Pros
Safe work environment, Safety is the Core value
Cons
Long Distance from home means long hours in a day
no review
Station Manager (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay OntarioOctober 3, 2015
Great people to work with. Unfortunately downsizing the business which does not align with my personal views for the strategic direction of the company
Pros
na
Cons
na

Want to know more about ONTARIO POWER GENERATION?

Ask a question
Well Cultured work environment
Developmental Student/Operating Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, ONSeptember 15, 2015
Job shadowing operating engineers. Learned the importance of electricity grid deadlines, learned the process and operation of steam cycle/power plant. Nice work environment, lots of guidance provided. Most enjoyable part of the job was the constant learning
Pros
Good Crew
Cons
shift work
A dream company to work with
Documentation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONAugust 9, 2015
I worked only as contractor for the company and I find not a very enjoyable place to work but as a security of job and benefits it's a very good company
Professional Organization
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pickering, OntarioAugust 3, 2015
Great people, and culture. Interesting industry. Great management. Great hours. Enjoyable work. A great place to be a part of.
You have a right to go home with all your body parts attached.
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJune 17, 2015
OPG is more than safety conscious, they are safety OBSESSED. This is not a bad thing. I've worked for OPG on three separate summers, both in a technical role and an administrative role and I can tell you that they take your safety seriously. They give back to the community and generally are a great organization to work for. 10/10 would go back in a heartbeat.
Pros
You never feel unsafe
Cons
Not applicable
Very out going personality
Administrative Assistant in Maintenance Department (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, OntarioApril 7, 2015
I do admin support two managers from booking meeting to organizing calendars and taking minutes and actions. Answering calls helping where needed.
Pros
I worked throught my lunch and when I need time off, its never a problem
very high job culture
Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  pickeringApril 2, 2015
providing engineering support to the plant personnel
applying code requirements to daily activities
follow management directions
share own knowledge and experience with co-workers
daily "fire fighting"
successful project completion
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
na
Productive and goal orientated
First Line Managers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONFebruary 17, 2015
This company is really safety oriented especialy with it's radiation program. The training programs are next to none. Advancement within the company is second to none
great company
Assistant Approvals Officer (Current Employee) –  toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2015
a typical work day is very busy, extremely high level, challenging and goes by quickly. I have learned a lot regarding Board materials, government liason, executive management relations, working in a fast paced environment, dealing with confidential documents, report writing, presentation skills and working as a team. The hardest part of my job is the long hours and the most enjoyable part is the success at the end of the day after accomplishing all of my tasks.
Pros
great company
Cons
long commute
Relaxed office setting
Environmental Department Intern (Former Employee) –  Pickering, OntarioDecember 30, 2014
Very relaxed work environment. Typical work hours, 8-9am to 4-5pm. I got really good experience in an office environment and in the energy field. At times I felt I did not have enough to do while my coworkers were under pressure. The downsizing of the company makes it feel as if though everyone's job is always on the line.
Great engineering and project management team with helpful upper management
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONNovember 24, 2014
Very knowledge and strong engineering talent is found at this company. Upper engagement is helpful in ensuring each team player fulfills personal growth goals and resources are provided to ensure professional growth. The company is understanding and knowledgeable of religious events observed by various employees. Always felt at home and would highly recommended to others.

4.5