ONTARIO POWER GENERATION Employee Reviews in Canada

Great Work Environment
Assistant Technical Engineer/Officer (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONDecember 21, 2015
The work environment is great.

The salary is also up to industry standards that is not disappointing at all.

Management is quick and helpful to answer your question, but becoming permanent from temp is a million dollar question.

Once permanent, do not worry about job security.

Despite having good enough salary, they are really horrible at giving benefits and paid vacation days. For example, in Christmas, only 25, 26 and 1st are off even if one or all of them falls in weekends. Most rivals are way better and flexible that way.
Typical and very compliant legal environment
Librarian/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 5, 2016
At OPG they encouraged employees to take cognizance of their work/life balance and effective team building, through their gym facilities and WL days.

This being a legal department allowed additional learning of researching law cases, which further enhances my financial background.
Pros
Flexibility
Productive work in my field of studies
Information Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 4, 2015
I enjoyed working at Ontario Power Generation as assignment:

* was in my field of studies
* was diverse
* helped me to develop new skills such as project management, software design and development
* contained a great deal of troubleshooting and systematic problem solving

A typical day was checking the systems operation, resolving problems, planning and working on systems enhancement and development and learning about new tools.
Pros
10 minutes travel time to work
Cons
it was a short term contract - maternity leave replacement
Focused and safest place that I have ever worked in, so far.
Construction Manager, Darlington Refurbishment (Current Employee) –  Darlington, ONNovember 3, 2015
The Darlington Refurbishment, of the 4 nuclear reactors, is Ontario's largest mega project. My current days include negotiations with 10 of the 17 Building Trade Unions that OPG deals with. As of Nov 3rd we have deals with 8 of the 10. My other current duties is staffing the Construction Department with capable, competent, and qualified personnel both from internal and external postings.
In every position I have had it is the people that make the work day. Enjoying their companionship, dedication and knowledge in getting things done.
Pros
Safe work environment, Safety is the Core value
Cons
Long Distance from home means long hours in a day
A safe environment to work in
First Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONJune 6, 2016
- A typical consists of planning and execution of work
- Learn a lot about safety and productivity
- Good communication to and from management
- Good working relationship among the workers
- The most enjoyable part is performing work to support the reliable generation of electricity
Pros
Good work enviroment
A good team with great workplace culture
HR Intern (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONJune 6, 2016
It was such a great learning opportunity working with the HR team.
The team members were very friendly.
I was abe to learn more about labour relations and severally observed processes.
The enjoyable part was just having to work with a team where I could ask questions and feel relaxed while working.
my ideal working environment
Finance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 1, 2016
I love to be in environment where I can learn and contribute my skill sets and experiences. I also enjoy both the routine accounting and analytic responsiblities. I am a work hard and play hard type of worker and enjoy the interactions of people but able to focus on my responsibilities at the same time.
Great place to work, Wish I could go back
Student Nuclear Operator (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONFebruary 9, 2016
It was a friendly, supportive atmosphere. Everybody there was willing to teach you something, so long as you showed the initiative to ask and provided you had the willingness and patience to learn.

Typical Day: 12 hr day, begins with pre-job brief, ends with post-job brief. Manageable workload given inbetween. Rotating between night and day shift is most difficult part. Working with amazing people is the most important part.
Pros
everything
Cons
inbetween shifts all you do is end up sleeping
internal audit
Manager of Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 9, 2016
Not an environment that foster professional growth. Employees seem to be very unhappy and stressed. Vacation time or sick time difficult to take and the department is struggling with moral issues.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
stressful environment
Large corporation with lots of areas to move to for continued personal growth
OSRII Currently Admin Support (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONJune 14, 2016
I have worked with OPG for almost 26 years. It is an excellent place to work with lots of opportunities to learn new things and grow.
Pros
excellent salary and benefits
great place to work
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ONMarch 24, 2016
I was a student there and i was getting paid more then my parents.

They are a good company but very hard to get into. Unless you are an engineer or have a specialized job set forget it.

if you get in your set for life but a lot of contract work.

Very conscious about job safety
Pros
very well paid
Cons
hard to attain a job
Excellent!
Clerical Support (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONAugust 18, 2016
Friendly, welcoming environment. Job security is ranked low because of contract positions but other than that, Ontario Power Generation is a wonderful place to work.
Good place
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Smoky Falls, ONMay 5, 2016
Miss working at this place, it was a camp job, the food was awesome, the people were great. loved my job and learned a lot working there 4 years. Good pay and benefits.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
10 hour shifts
I enjoyed all the different poositions I held while working there.
Housekeeping and other duties when required (Former Employee) –  Toronto and PickeringMarch 23, 2016
I enjoyed the 27 years that I worked at Ontario Hydro/Ontario Power Generation as it is a company that has may opportunities available for individuals.
Great pay... Zero respect given by senior Management
Nuclear Response Force (Current Employee) –  Leader, SKJanuary 9, 2016
Security is run by a bunch of ex RCMP dictators... Do as I say not as I do attitude. Won't even say hello to uniform staff. Don't want to hear your concerns or suggestions. Treat the staff like garbage.
First Line Managers are great... Know how to lead from the front and take care of their people
Pros
Pay
Cons
Shifts and Senior Managers
Control Technician co-op (Former Employee) –  Control technicianApril 16, 2016
every job is very well planned and organized the work is completed as safe as possible. a lot of team work to come up with solutions to problems
Great Place
2nd Class Stationary Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ONDecember 5, 2015
Great Place to work, got along with everyone management would always here my concerns and work with me on any problems although I can't recall any major problems.
Professional Organization
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pickering, OntarioAugust 3, 2015
Great people, and culture. Interesting industry. Great management. Great hours. Enjoyable work. A great place to be a part of.
Employees are top notch. Ugly management culture.
Manager (Former Employee) –  PickeringJanuary 22, 2014
Most employees give their all, they are blessed to have a good career and most know it. The management culture is somewhat negative, the management ranks are shrinking for some, they eat their young at times and to fire someone becomes a badge of honor to advance to VP or Director level.
Pros
pay, benefits and highly educated workforce.
Cons
some management styles.
great company
Assistant Approvals Officer (Current Employee) –  toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2015
a typical work day is very busy, extremely high level, challenging and goes by quickly. I have learned a lot regarding Board materials, government liason, executive management relations, working in a fast paced environment, dealing with confidential documents, report writing, presentation skills and working as a team. The hardest part of my job is the long hours and the most enjoyable part is the success at the end of the day after accomplishing all of my tasks.
Pros
great company
Cons
long commute

4.6