Ontario Power Generation Employee Review

View all Ontario Power Generation reviews

Good luck getting a full-time position
Carpenter (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON2 July 2013
Been working part-time at OPG well over a decade. With all the hard work, dedication, and experience I have put into this company, not once did I, or most of us hear of them offering to hire full-time in our department. Never saw an external posting that I check monthly. You can back track their external postings to a certain time frame. They said it was there to see. Only a few part-time people who knew of this were offered full-time positions......interesting. The candidates also beat out others (full-timers) through their internal postings. A grievance was submitted. They also hired no or little experience full-time workers who were family members. This was done with NO knowledge of a position offered in our department. Again, no external or internal postings. People who were hired full-time, had relatives in high positions in the company. Seems management was looking for a promotion, or had their hands tied. Funny, I had handed my resume' into this company long before these positions were offered, and no call. Money was great, and don't get me wrong, a good company to work for. Bottom line, I feel this company needs to review their hiring practices.
Pros
Good income
Cons
What more can I say?

Other Ontario Power Generation Employee Reviews

Progressive Company
Shift Advisor Technical Support - Operations (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON19 November 2017
I was able to work in many different fields ranging from Technical, Instruction, Programming and Operations.
I spent the last 17 years at Darlington Nuclear Power Station in Operations, on shift.
Learnt to multitask and prioritize items.
Shift work requires one to work all hours and be as alert and safe as one can be.
Technical, dynamic and important job.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Large Organization with the associated bureaucracy
Great pay, not a place for eager individuals
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON18 November 2017
OPG is a great place to work if you want to make a lot of money and learn a lot about power generation. If you're an eager, success-driven kind of person, OPG may not be for you. The OPG team functions very slowly, and when you work too fast, you're told to slow down to keep pace with the team, even if your work quality exceeds expectations. This is true regardless of what area of the company you work with.

Working with OPG can be the best job in the world if you're able to easily find fulfilment outside the workplace.
Pros
High salary, safe, low-stress, relatively easy
Cons
painstakingly slow pace