ONTARIO POWER GENERATION

ONTARIO POWER GENERATION Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place
Project Control Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2014
Good training program, Great management, up-to-date systems
Is an excellent place to work and learn
Nuclear Safety Integration Engineering Intern (Current Employee), DarlingtonApril 6, 2014
Pros: incredible knowledge
Cons: the distance
In a typical day at OPG, first thing in the morning I check my e-mail to see the new instructions. After that, I start working based on the tasks assigned to me.
I have a very nice and cooperative co-workers.
Very good job!
Mechanical Maintainer (Current Employee), Courtright, ONFebruary 28, 2014
I enjoy every day. It is a pleasure to go to work. I have learned a lot and work with some of the smartest people I have met.
Employees are top notch. Ugly management culture.
Manager (Former Employee), PickeringJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits and highly educated workforce.
Cons: some management styles.
Most employees give their all, they are blessed to have a good career and most know it. The management culture is somewhat negative, the management ranks are shrinking for some, they eat their young at times and to fire someone becomes a badge of honor to advance to VP or Director level.
The Company has a strong commitment to the wellness of its employees
Thermal Station Engineer/Officer (Current Employee), Courtright, OntarioDecember 4, 2013
Ontario Power Generation provides its employees with all the necessary resources to excel at their respective roles. The Company prides itself on the safety of the employees and has a strong commitment to the wellness of the employees. The staff is highly educated in their respective fields and are dedicated to achieving all targets.
One of the best companies to work.
Engineer (Former Employee), Pickering, OntarioNovember 13, 2013
Ontario Power Generation is a company that offers great opportunities to career progression. I would always recommend it.
Worked in the Human Resources Dept., Had many responsibilities.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2013
Pros: very good benefits and an excellent salary
Cons: you don't know when you will be asked to leave inspite of giving your best
I learned how important it it to really assert yourself in big companies like this otherwise you get laid off or lose your job.

Ontario Power Generation was a highly paying Company but I had to leave due to power politics.
Excellent Company
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONAugust 24, 2013
Pros: regular training
Cons: not applicable
Work environment is very good for hard-working people.
Team work is supported by the employer, and the technical staff is very dedicated.
Good luck getting a full-time position
Carpenter (Part-Time) (Former Employee), Pickering, ONJuly 2, 2013
Pros: good income
Cons: what more can i say?
Been working part-time at OPG well over a decade. With all the hard work, dedication, and experience I have put into this company, not once did I, or most of us hear of them offering to hire full-time in our department. Never saw an external posting that I check monthly. You can back track their external postings to a certain time frame. They said it – more... was there to see. Only a few part-time people who knew of this were offered full-time positions......interesting. The candidates also beat out others (full-timers) through their internal postings. A grievance was submitted. They also hired no or little experience full-time workers who were family members. This was done with NO knowledge of a position offered in our department. Again, no external or internal postings. People who were hired full-time, had relatives in high positions in the company. Seems management was looking for a promotion, or had their hands tied. Funny, I had handed my resume' into this company long before these positions were offered, and no call. Money was great, and don't get me wrong, a good company to work for. Bottom line, I feel this company needs to review their hiring practices. – less
Excellent place to work
Office Support Representative (Former Employee), Pickering, ONMay 14, 2013
Pros: challenging, interesting work environment
Cons: not hiring for any permanent clerical positions
I had 3 consecutive clerical contract with Ontario Power Generation and held many different positions. The knowledge I gained was invaluable and the staff and management were excellent to work with. This company has solid core values, but unfortunately they are not hiring full-time.
cowboy shop
Senior Consultant (Audit) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 1, 2013
As close as it can get to be the wild west!
If you are not part of the big boys club you are practically condemned to be stagnant for the rest of your days!
Decent work place. Some good workers.
Mechanical millwright apprentice CO-OP (Former Employee), Nanticoke, ONApril 22, 2013
Pros: good staff, sometimes did luncheon in the crew house put together by the crew
Cons: long hours, early mornings, sometimes sour co workers.
Student millwright, more or less dragged along with other senior millwrights. watching over their shoulder and handing them tools. completing tasks they cannot do or would otherwise be difficult.

Basic mechanical millwright skills. Advanced time management. furthered mechanical reasoning and patterning skills.

decent management, did things to help – more... and support crew.

mostly good co workers, not a whole lot of them as plant shutting down. all the best moved or snatched away. lots of good essential ones left. some bad apples, excelent support staff ie: cafeteria, stores and requisitions

hardest part of the job: rapidly changing climes, different co workers every day.

Most enjoyable part.: working on and repairing machines. learning how systems work, repairing. – less
Co-op Student (Former Employee), Tiverton, ONMarch 25, 2013
Pros: good pay
Very fun place to work with caring supervisors. I learned a lot working here and there was always someone to answer any questions that I may of had.
Excellent place to work. Always looked forward to going to see what was in-store for the day.
Mechanical Technician (Former Employee), Courtright, ONMarch 25, 2013
Pros: over time and great wages.
Cons: the weather.
Typical Day at Work
Each morning before the day started everyone gathered around for a safety meeting.Everyone was assigned their jobs for the day.I was fortunate enough to work with some amazing and talented co- workers.Most days I was welding in a confined space. After I was done welding a section I would have to wait for an inspector to come and – more... examine my work. This was basically a typical day at work for me.

What I Learned
While on the job I learned new welding techniques, tons of safety training and the importance of trust with the people I worked with.

The management there conducted themselves in a very professional manner.

Co-Workers
I was fortunate enough to work with a talented group of people.

Hardest Part of the Job
For me the hardest part was getting comfortable enough to work in confined areas.

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job
I enjoyed the job itself, I am the kind of person who likes to work and stay busy. The atmosphere and the people I got to work with was a great experience. – less
Office Support Representative (Former Employee), Pickering Nuclear PlantMarch 20, 2013
Pros: abie to learn a lot about the company.
Cons: only hired temp postions.
I learned quite a bit working for OPG. Wish I could have gotten in full time.
OPG Nanticoke Coal Power Plant
General Trades (Former Employee), Nanticoke, ONMarch 5, 2013
Pros: • good pay • great management • helpful coworkers
Cons: • straight nights • weekends
In this position I would perform fire watch duties on any hot work performed during shutdowns. I was involved with various projects such as infrastructure surveys including structural stability analysis, and compressed air systems. Additionally, I earned steam time towards my power engineering license.
Management at this plant was a well organized, – more... congruent team that functioned well under pressure and tight time lines.
My coworkers were all great people that helped me learn about the various systems involved in generating electrical power.
The most difficult part of the job was working night shifts; I had very little time to spend with my family.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being involved with a strong management team and it was a great developmental opportunity. – less
Co-op Summary
Summer Student (Former Employee), Gravenhurst, ONJanuary 16, 2013
I gained experience and knowledge about power generation from my two summer co-ops at OPG. I managed to see inside the plants and even inside some of the equipment. It was a great experience.
Great job
Front Line Manager (FLM) (Former Employee), Pickering OntarioDecember 17, 2012
Very rewarding job. Losts of challanges. Great pay. Probably the best job I've ever had.
Only 7.5 hrs working per day
Service Desk Agent (Former Employee), Pickering, ONSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: free coffe/tea
Nice work place. Quiet.Friendly co-workers. Up to date documetation to do the day to day work. Instant company updates.
Fantastic Place to work
Cost & Scheduling Intern (Developmental Student) (Former Employee), Project ReportingSeptember 8, 2012
A fantastic place to work! You are surrounded by extremely intelligent and hard working individuals who motivate you to do better in every aspect of your job.