ONTARIO POWER GENERATION

ONTARIO POWER GENERATION Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and goal orientated
First Line Managers Assistant (Former Employee), Pickering, ONFebruary 17, 2015
This company is really safety oriented especialy with it's radiation program. The training programs are next to none. Advancement within the company is second to none
great company
Assistant Approvals Officer (Current Employee), toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: great company
Cons: long commute
a typical work day is very busy, extremely high level, challenging and goes by quickly. I have learned a lot regarding Board materials, government liason, executive management relations, working in a fast paced environment, dealing with confidential documents, report writing, presentation skills and working as a team. The hardest part of my job is the long hours and the most enjoyable part is the success at the end of the day after accomplishing all of my tasks.
Relaxed office setting
Environmental Department Intern (Former Employee), Pickering, OntarioDecember 30, 2014
Very relaxed work environment. Typical work hours, 8-9am to 4-5pm. I got really good experience in an office environment and in the energy field. At times I felt I did not have enough to do while my coworkers were under pressure. The downsizing of the company makes it feel as if though everyone's job is always on the line.
Great engineering and project management team with helpful upper management
Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONNovember 24, 2014
Very knowledge and strong engineering talent is found at this company. Upper engagement is helpful in ensuring each team player fulfills personal growth goals and resources are provided to ensure professional growth. The company is understanding and knowledgeable of religious events observed by various employees. Always felt at home and would highly recommended to others.
A great place to gain real work experience
University Student (Former Employee), Pickering, ONNovember 5, 2014
In Ontario power generation, I worked in the quality assurance department. My main job was performing quality assurance and troubleshooting to the PDP 11 computer, which is the nuclear reactors control system. Then write up the test results. Also, I designed the test procedure and developed test plans for future use in our department.
A great place to grow your career
Production Manager / Chief Power Engineer (Former Employee), Courtright, ONNovember 2, 2014
You are respected and your workload will be shared by others
I enjoyed my career with OPG
Electrician (Former Employee), Pickering, ONOctober 1, 2014
I started as an apprentice in 1968 and never left. I had the opportunity to learn many skills above and beyond my trade of Electrician.
Great Comapny
Summer Student Nuclear Operator (Former Employee), OntarioSeptember 22, 2014
OPG is a great company.
I would highly recommend the company as one of the best environments to work in.
Project Planner / Scheduler Black & McDonald (Current Employee), PickeringSeptember 19, 2014
I really enjoy working for OPG...management is doing really good and producing half of the electricity for Ontario.
Relaxed but busy place to work
Administration Clerk (Former Employee), Pickering and BowmanvilleSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: full time monday to friday
Cons: not permanent
OPG was an interesting place to work as there was always something new to do.
Great compensation, low stress
Database Analyst (Former Employee), TorontoJuly 27, 2014
Pros: compensation and benefits
Cons: low turnover rate results in fewer opportunities
I enjoyed the challenge of optimizing their systems. They were largely neglected because most of their IT staff were engineers who did not receive adequate IT training.

Would not have achieved the spectacular results anywhere else.
Great place
Project Control Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2014
Good training program, Great management, up-to-date systems
Is an excellent place to work and learn
Nuclear Safety Integration Engineering Intern (Current Employee), DarlingtonApril 6, 2014
Pros: incredible knowledge
Cons: the distance
In a typical day at OPG, first thing in the morning I check my e-mail to see the new instructions. After that, I start working based on the tasks assigned to me.
I have a very nice and cooperative co-workers.
Very good job!
Mechanical Maintainer (Current Employee), Courtright, ONFebruary 28, 2014
I enjoy every day. It is a pleasure to go to work. I have learned a lot and work with some of the smartest people I have met.
Excellent
Developmental Engineering Student (Former Employee), Pickering, OntarioFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: professional environment
Cons: maximum of two temporary work terms
I learned a lot about the Nuclear Industry. My co-workers always took the time to teach me as much as they could.
Employees are top notch. Ugly management culture.
Manager (Former Employee), PickeringJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits and highly educated workforce.
Cons: some management styles.
Most employees give their all, they are blessed to have a good career and most know it. The management culture is somewhat negative, the management ranks are shrinking for some, they eat their young at times and to fire someone becomes a badge of honor to advance to VP or Director level.
The Company has a strong commitment to the wellness of its employees
Thermal Station Engineer/Officer (Current Employee), Courtright, OntarioDecember 4, 2013
Ontario Power Generation provides its employees with all the necessary resources to excel at their respective roles. The Company prides itself on the safety of the employees and has a strong commitment to the wellness of the employees. The staff is highly educated in their respective fields and are dedicated to achieving all targets.
One of the best companies to work.
Engineer (Former Employee), Pickering, OntarioNovember 13, 2013
Ontario Power Generation is a company that offers great opportunities to career progression. I would always recommend it.
Worked in the Human Resources Dept., Had many responsibilities.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2013
Pros: very good benefits and an excellent salary
Cons: you don't know when you will be asked to leave inspite of giving your best
I learned how important it it to really assert yourself in big companies like this otherwise you get laid off or lose your job.

Ontario Power Generation was a highly paying Company but I had to leave due to power politics.
Good luck getting a full-time position
Carpenter (Part-Time) (Former Employee), Pickering, ONJuly 2, 2013
Pros: good income
Cons: what more can i say?
Been working part-time at OPG well over a decade. With all the hard work, dedication, and experience I have put into this company, not once did I, or most of us hear of them offering to hire full-time in our department. Never saw an external posting that I check monthly. You can back track their external postings to a certain time frame. They said it was there to see. Only a few part-time people who knew of this were offered full-time positions......interesting. The candidates also beat out others (full-timers) through their internal postings. A grievance was submitted. They also hired no or little experience full-time workers who were family members. This was done with NO knowledge of a position offered in our department. Again, no external or internal postings. People who were hired full-time, had relatives in high positions in the company. Seems management was looking for a promotion, or had their hands tied. Funny, I had handed my resume' into this company long before these positions were offered, and no call. Money was great, and don't get me wrong, a good company to work for. Bottom line, I feel this company needs to review their hiring practices.

1 2 3