ONTARIO POWER GENERATION Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Ontario Power Generation
Field Shift Operating Supervisor (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONJuly 28, 2012
Pros: learning to deal with people and understanding that for most part, it is better to be pushed upward than to be pulled.
Cons: as much as a large company can afford upward mobility, people can get lost in the sheer numbers.
Ontario Power Generation is a very large corporation whose goal is to produce Electrical Power Safely, Economically while being a good Environmental Steward. As such, it has a wide variance of nuances that offers the right candidate the ability to contribute to the company goals. The employees are highly intelligent with a focus on Continuous Improvement. I had the opportunity to learn a great deal about the operation of a Nuclear Power Plant, but to me, the more important lessons I learned and applied were in the area of being a Supervisor. I learned what it takes to be an effective supervisor and that if you work hard to support the needs of those you supervise while maintaining a high standard performance with a clear set of expectations, you can positively effect the work performed. My track record as a supervisor supports that theory. My crews consistently showed improved performance and is well documented. If I had to say anything negative about this company, it is that I believe that there is a disjoint between Management and Supervision that could improve the whole operation and effectiveness of the people it employs. Other than that, this is very good company with high values and concern for the people it employs. My time with this company was full of life lessons and I enjoyed the job immensely even with the daily ups and downs. It provides an environment where people can experience personal growth as well as performing a job. You can get out of it what you put into it.
Supportive atmosphere, room for development as a student
Developmental Intern, Reporting and Controls (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJuly 6, 2012
As an eight-month developmental student working in Nuclear Refurbishment, I was always provided with new challenges and opportunities to further myself. My manager provided excellent opportunities equivalent to a full-time worker that allowed me to set goals, and establish myself as an individual within the organization.

I worked to manage the spending, forecasting and cost allocation for a major nuclear project. I worked heavily in Microsoft Excel, developing methods to accurately manage the spending and costs. I worked directly with the Finance department to help manage accruals, spending, purchase orders, and organizational and change requests.

I was able to learn much about the industry, how to communicate with others, was able to conduct many presentations, and how to effectively meet deadlines. The hardest part of my job was picking up where another student had left off, with zero training or information provided on how to effectively do the job. When I left after about eight and a half months, I had successfully created a large binder to be used by the entire department on how to most efficiently complete the tasks that role required.

What was most enjoyable about this experience was being able to work in the initial stages of a large, multi-million dollar project. It was exciting to be able to assist in the development and management of the costs to such an important project that aims to benefit the entire province.
Good luck getting a full-time position
Carpenter (Part-Time) (Former Employee), Pickering, ONJuly 2, 2013
Pros: good income
Cons: what more can i say?
Been working part-time at OPG well over a decade. With all the hard work, dedication, and experience I have put into this company, not once did I, or most of us hear of them offering to hire full-time in our department. Never saw an external posting that I check monthly. You can back track their external postings to a certain time frame. They said it was there to see. Only a few part-time people who knew of this were offered full-time positions......interesting. The candidates also beat out others (full-timers) through their internal postings. A grievance was submitted. They also hired no or little experience full-time workers who were family members. This was done with NO knowledge of a position offered in our department. Again, no external or internal postings. People who were hired full-time, had relatives in high positions in the company. Seems management was looking for a promotion, or had their hands tied. Funny, I had handed my resume' into this company long before these positions were offered, and no call. Money was great, and don't get me wrong, a good company to work for. Bottom line, I feel this company needs to review their hiring practices.
Working in a very challenging environment, learning a lot of new engineering skills and getting supports from mangagement, society and co-workers
Technical Engineer (Former Employee), PickeringApril 7, 2012
Pros: working in a challenging environment, lots of support from management and co-workers.
Cons: negative factors not noticeable.
- I was loaded with lots of work every day.
- I had learned so many things in the areas of licensing and nuclear safety; e.g., how to perform nuclear safety assessments or analyses, nuclear design calculations; how to work independently as well as work in a team environment or matrix set up; how to put a nuclear licensing package submission together; how to manage work requests and completion on schedule for Section Mangers, Department Managers, as well as Station Engineering Directors etc
- The management had been very supportive in providing the necessary coaching and feedback.
- My Co-workers had been very supportive and co-operative in working towards a common goal or work objective.
- I did not consider the hardest part of the job to be an issue.
- The most enjoyable part of the job was that I was able to resolve the problem with a cost effective solution such that my Section Manager, Department Manager and Station Engineering Director were always pleased with my hard work or contributions.
Decent work place. Some good workers.
Mechanical millwright apprentice CO-OP (Former Employee), Nanticoke, ONApril 22, 2013
Pros: good staff, sometimes did luncheon in the crew house put together by the crew
Cons: long hours, early mornings, sometimes sour co workers.
Student millwright, more or less dragged along with other senior millwrights. watching over their shoulder and handing them tools. completing tasks they cannot do or would otherwise be difficult.

Basic mechanical millwright skills. Advanced time management. furthered mechanical reasoning and patterning skills.

decent management, did things to help and support crew.

mostly good co workers, not a whole lot of them as plant shutting down. all the best moved or snatched away. lots of good essential ones left. some bad apples, excelent support staff ie: cafeteria, stores and requisitions

hardest part of the job: rapidly changing climes, different co workers every day.

Most enjoyable part.: working on and repairing machines. learning how systems work, repairing.
Excellent place to work. Always looked forward to going to see what was in-store for the day.
Mechanical Technician (Former Employee), Courtright, ONMarch 25, 2013
Pros: over time and great wages.
Cons: the weather.
Typical Day at Work
Each morning before the day started everyone gathered around for a safety meeting.Everyone was assigned their jobs for the day.I was fortunate enough to work with some amazing and talented co- workers.Most days I was welding in a confined space. After I was done welding a section I would have to wait for an inspector to come and examine my work. This was basically a typical day at work for me.

What I Learned
While on the job I learned new welding techniques, tons of safety training and the importance of trust with the people I worked with.

The management there conducted themselves in a very professional manner.

Co-Workers
I was fortunate enough to work with a talented group of people.

Hardest Part of the Job
For me the hardest part was getting comfortable enough to work in confined areas.

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job
I enjoyed the job itself, I am the kind of person who likes to work and stay busy. The atmosphere and the people I got to work with was a great experience.
OPG Nanticoke Coal Power Plant
General Trades (Former Employee), Nanticoke, ONMarch 5, 2013
Pros: • good pay • great management • helpful coworkers
Cons: • straight nights • weekends
In this position I would perform fire watch duties on any hot work performed during shutdowns. I was involved with various projects such as infrastructure surveys including structural stability analysis, and compressed air systems. Additionally, I earned steam time towards my power engineering license.
Management at this plant was a well organized, congruent team that functioned well under pressure and tight time lines.
My coworkers were all great people that helped me learn about the various systems involved in generating electrical power.
The most difficult part of the job was working night shifts; I had very little time to spend with my family.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being involved with a strong management team and it was a great developmental opportunity.
People are awesome to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioJune 7, 2012
Pros: a gym right downstairs
Cons: not enough challenges
I helped the V.P.'s, Managers and other staff. I helped with things they could not get to. I booked travel, accomodations, car rentals, conference rooms, materials required for meetings, meeting beverages and food. I created, submitted and approved expense reports. Management and co-workers are great. There really wasn't a hard part of the job except for maybe getting more challenging things to do. I believe I am a jack of all trades and will try and find our or figure out anything if I can. I enjoy helping people - it makes me feel good.
Focused and safest place that I have ever worked in, so far.
Construction Manager, Darlington Refurbishment (Current Employee), Darlington, ONNovember 3, 2015
Pros: Safe work environment, Safety is the Core value
Cons: Long Distance from home means long hours in a day
The Darlington Refurbishment, of the 4 nuclear reactors, is Ontario's largest mega project. My current days include negotiations with 10 of the 17 Building Trade Unions that OPG deals with. As of Nov 3rd we have deals with 8 of the 10. My other current duties is staffing the Construction Department with capable, competent, and qualified personnel both from internal and external postings.
In every position I have had it is the people that make the work day. Enjoying their companionship, dedication and knowledge in getting things done.
Great bunch of men ,afty job 1
Construction site labour (Former Employee), Niagara falls OntarioJuly 10, 2012
Pros: was offerd full time with ontario power generation, but union said no
Cons: missed oppertunity, after working so hard to make a good imprestion for the hydro
Construction site lbour,keeping site cleaned up,how to work with out side contractors ie:sub trades. Management very clear on my job discription and resposabilitiesCo-workers very helpfull,always ndigging in,lending a hand.Very busy site,always double checking to make sure things were secure and safe Being accepted as part of the team and not just a labourer from the labourers union local 837 Hamilton.
Great Work Environment
Assistant Technical Engineer/Officer (Current Employee), Pickering, ONDecember 21, 2015
The work environment is great.

The salary is also up to industry standards that is not disappointing at all.

Management is quick and helpful to answer your question, but becoming permanent from temp is a million dollar question.

Once permanent, do not worry about job security.

Despite having good enough salary, they are really horrible at giving benefits and paid vacation days. For example, in Christmas, only 25, 26 and 1st are off even if one or all of them falls in weekends. Most rivals are way better and flexible that way.
Highly ethical and respectable company in Ontario
Senior Technical Engineer (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJuly 27, 2012
Pros: respectable reputation and image, bright future
Cons: confidential
Work day is usually busy with lots of discussions, messages, meetings, future planning and developing new designs for future.
Learned about design, engineering, high standards of ethics,
Employees have a great sense of contributing to the company more than earning.
Co-workers: Experts in their fields
Hardest part of the job: Remaining idle
To see a determination and synnergy of various groups and highly educated and experienced leaders to drive forward in order to achieve objectives.
Great place to work, Wish I could go back
Student Nuclear Operator (Former Employee), Pickering, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Pros: everything
Cons: inbetween shifts all you do is end up sleeping
It was a friendly, supportive atmosphere. Everybody there was willing to teach you something, so long as you showed the initiative to ask and provided you had the willingness and patience to learn.

Typical Day: 12 hr day, begins with pre-job brief, ends with post-job brief. Manageable workload given inbetween. Rotating between night and day shift is most difficult part. Working with amazing people is the most important part.
Productive work in my field of studies
Information Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 4, 2015
Pros: 10 minutes travel time to work
Cons: it was a short term contract - maternity leave replacement
I enjoyed working at Ontario Power Generation as assignment:

* was in my field of studies
* was diverse
* helped me to develop new skills such as project management, software design and development
* contained a great deal of troubleshooting and systematic problem solving

A typical day was checking the systems operation, resolving problems, planning and working on systems enhancement and development and learning about new tools.
great company
Assistant Approvals Officer (Current Employee), toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: great company
Cons: long commute
a typical work day is very busy, extremely high level, challenging and goes by quickly. I have learned a lot regarding Board materials, government liason, executive management relations, working in a fast paced environment, dealing with confidential documents, report writing, presentation skills and working as a team. The hardest part of my job is the long hours and the most enjoyable part is the success at the end of the day after accomplishing all of my tasks.
You have a right to go home with all your body parts attached.
Summer Student (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONJune 17, 2015
Pros: You never feel unsafe
Cons: Not applicable
OPG is more than safety conscious, they are safety OBSESSED. This is not a bad thing. I've worked for OPG on three separate summers, both in a technical role and an administrative role and I can tell you that they take your safety seriously. They give back to the community and generally are a great organization to work for. 10/10 would go back in a heartbeat.
Worked in the Human Resources Dept., Had many responsibilities.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2013
Pros: very good benefits and an excellent salary
Cons: you don't know when you will be asked to leave inspite of giving your best
I learned how important it it to really assert yourself in big companies like this otherwise you get laid off or lose your job.

Ontario Power Generation was a highly paying Company but I had to leave due to power politics.
manage new build and facility modifications for Nuclear Waste Division
Supervising Project Engineer/ Project Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 30, 2012
Meet with client and define business needs.
Submit business case for senior management approval.
Prepare scope of work & coordinate RFP package.
Review EPC vendor proposals and negotiate contracts.
For larger building projects, manage Owner Engineer contacts an
Coordinate design approvals with internal stakeholders.
Administer EPC contractors including safety and environmental planning and approval.
Engineering change controls.
Coordinate Regulatory approval.
Project closeout.
Great pay... Zero respect given by senior Management
Nuclear Response Force (Current Employee), Leader, SKJanuary 9, 2016
Pros: Pay
Cons: Shifts and Senior Managers
Security is run by a bunch of ex RCMP dictators... Do as I say not as I do attitude. Won't even say hello to uniform staff. Don't want to hear your concerns or suggestions. Treat the staff like garbage.
First Line Managers are great... Know how to lead from the front and take care of their people
Relaxed office setting
Environmental Department Intern (Former Employee), Pickering, OntarioDecember 30, 2014
Very relaxed work environment. Typical work hours, 8-9am to 4-5pm. I got really good experience in an office environment and in the energy field. At times I felt I did not have enough to do while my coworkers were under pressure. The downsizing of the company makes it feel as if though everyone's job is always on the line.