ONTARIO POWER GENERATION Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great Work Environment
Assistant Technical Engineer/Officer (Current Employee), Pickering, ONDecember 21, 2015
The work environment is great.

The salary is also up to industry standards that is not disappointing at all.

Management is quick and helpful to answer your question, but becoming permanent from temp is a million dollar question.

Once permanent, do not worry about job security.

Despite having good enough salary, they are really horrible at giving benefits and paid vacation days. For example, in Christmas, only 25, 26 and 1st are off even if one or all of them falls in weekends. Most rivals are way better and flexible that way.
Focused and safest place that I have ever worked in, so far.
Construction Manager, Darlington Refurbishment (Current Employee), Darlington, ONNovember 3, 2015
Pros: Safe work environment, Safety is the Core value
Cons: Long Distance from home means long hours in a day
The Darlington Refurbishment, of the 4 nuclear reactors, is Ontario's largest mega project. My current days include negotiations with 10 of the 17 Building Trade Unions that OPG deals with. As of Nov 3rd we have deals with 8 of the 10. My other current duties is staffing the Construction Department with capable, competent, and qualified personnel both from internal and external postings.
In every position I have had it is the people that make the work day. Enjoying their companionship, dedication and knowledge in getting things done.
Productive work in my field of studies
Information Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 4, 2015
Pros: 10 minutes travel time to work
Cons: it was a short term contract - maternity leave replacement
I enjoyed working at Ontario Power Generation as assignment:

* was in my field of studies
* was diverse
* helped me to develop new skills such as project management, software design and development
* contained a great deal of troubleshooting and systematic problem solving

A typical day was checking the systems operation, resolving problems, planning and working on systems enhancement and development and learning about new tools.
Typical and very compliant legal environment
Librarian/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 5, 2016
Pros: Flexibility
At OPG they encouraged employees to take cognizance of their work/life balance and effective team building, through their gym facilities and WL days.

This being a legal department allowed additional learning of researching law cases, which further enhances my financial background.
internal audit
Manager of Internal Audit (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 9, 2016
Pros: great benefits
Cons: stressful environment
Not an environment that foster professional growth. Employees seem to be very unhappy and stressed. Vacation time or sick time difficult to take and the department is struggling with moral issues.
Great place to work, Wish I could go back
Student Nuclear Operator (Former Employee), Pickering, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Pros: everything
Cons: inbetween shifts all you do is end up sleeping
It was a friendly, supportive atmosphere. Everybody there was willing to teach you something, so long as you showed the initiative to ask and provided you had the willingness and patience to learn.

Typical Day: 12 hr day, begins with pre-job brief, ends with post-job brief. Manageable workload given inbetween. Rotating between night and day shift is most difficult part. Working with amazing people is the most important part.
Great Place
2nd Class Stationary Engineer (Former Employee), Nanticoke, ONDecember 5, 2015
Great Place to work, got along with everyone management would always here my concerns and work with me on any problems although I can't recall any major problems.
Great pay... Zero respect given by senior Management
Nuclear Response Force (Current Employee), Leader, SKJanuary 9, 2016
Pros: Pay
Cons: Shifts and Senior Managers
Security is run by a bunch of ex RCMP dictators... Do as I say not as I do attitude. Won't even say hello to uniform staff. Don't want to hear your concerns or suggestions. Treat the staff like garbage.
First Line Managers are great... Know how to lead from the front and take care of their people
great place to work
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee), Nanticoke, ONMarch 24, 2016
Pros: very well paid
Cons: hard to attain a job
I was a student there and i was getting paid more then my parents.

They are a good company but very hard to get into. Unless you are an engineer or have a specialized job set forget it.

if you get in your set for life but a lot of contract work.

Very conscious about job safety
Professional Organization
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Pickering, OntarioAugust 3, 2015
Great people, and culture. Interesting industry. Great management. Great hours. Enjoyable work. A great place to be a part of.
I enjoyed all the different poositions I held while working there.
Housekeeping and other duties when required (Former Employee), Toronto and PickeringMarch 23, 2016
I enjoyed the 27 years that I worked at Ontario Hydro/Ontario Power Generation as it is a company that has may opportunities available for individuals.
Good place
General Labourer (Former Employee), Smoky Falls, ONMay 5, 2016
Pros: free lunches
Cons: 10 hour shifts
Miss working at this place, it was a camp job, the food was awesome, the people were great. loved my job and learned a lot working there 4 years. Good pay and benefits.
Control Technician co-op (Former Employee), Control technicianApril 16, 2016
every job is very well planned and organized the work is completed as safe as possible. a lot of team work to come up with solutions to problems
A dream company to work with
Documentation Clerk (Former Employee), Pickering, ONAugust 9, 2015
I worked only as contractor for the company and I find not a very enjoyable place to work but as a security of job and benefits it's a very good company
Most of the people are really great to work with.
Mechanical maintainer (Current Employee), Darlington, ONNovember 8, 2015
Pros: Interesting work.
Cons: I don't do negative.
I would like to be full time here but if I was to start full time here I would have to work at Pickering first which is just way too much commuting for me. Darlington is just the perfect distance for me.
great company
Assistant Approvals Officer (Current Employee), toronto, ONJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: great company
Cons: long commute
a typical work day is very busy, extremely high level, challenging and goes by quickly. I have learned a lot regarding Board materials, government liason, executive management relations, working in a fast paced environment, dealing with confidential documents, report writing, presentation skills and working as a team. The hardest part of my job is the long hours and the most enjoyable part is the success at the end of the day after accomplishing all of my tasks.
Well Cultured work environment
Developmental Student/Operating Assistant (Former Employee), Bath, ONSeptember 15, 2015
Pros: Good Crew
Cons: shift work
Job shadowing operating engineers. Learned the importance of electricity grid deadlines, learned the process and operation of steam cycle/power plant. Nice work environment, lots of guidance provided. Most enjoyable part of the job was the constant learning
no review
Station Manager (Current Employee), Thunder Bay OntarioOctober 3, 2015
Pros: na
Cons: na
Great people to work with. Unfortunately downsizing the business which does not align with my personal views for the strategic direction of the company
Employees are top notch. Ugly management culture.
Manager (Former Employee), PickeringJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits and highly educated workforce.
Cons: some management styles.
Most employees give their all, they are blessed to have a good career and most know it. The management culture is somewhat negative, the management ranks are shrinking for some, they eat their young at times and to fire someone becomes a badge of honor to advance to VP or Director level.
Decent work place. Some good workers.
Mechanical millwright apprentice CO-OP (Former Employee), Nanticoke, ONApril 22, 2013
Pros: good staff, sometimes did luncheon in the crew house put together by the crew
Cons: long hours, early mornings, sometimes sour co workers.
Student millwright, more or less dragged along with other senior millwrights. watching over their shoulder and handing them tools. completing tasks they cannot do or would otherwise be difficult.

Basic mechanical millwright skills. Advanced time management. furthered mechanical reasoning and patterning skills.

decent management, did things to help and support crew.

mostly good co workers, not a whole lot of them as plant shutting down. all the best moved or snatched away. lots of good essential ones left. some bad apples, excelent support staff ie: cafeteria, stores and requisitions

hardest part of the job: rapidly changing climes, different co workers every day.

Most enjoyable part.: working on and repairing machines. learning how systems work, repairing.