ONTARIO POWER GENERATION Employee Reviews

Civil Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON14 October 2016
I spent the last 16 years of my career working as a Civil Maintainer.
Knowledgeable of radiation protection and the use of contamination control equipment to protect self and prevent the spread of contamination in the work environment. Conduct decontamination checks and procedures to perform laundering and cleaning techniques to ensure sanitation standards of clothing, equipment and work areas, including the set up and maintenance of rubber areas. Receive, store, issue, deliver and ship materials, tools and equipment. Perform physical inventory verifications and reconciliation of inventory variances. Responsible for the health, safety and well being of self and others, in accordance with technical/ operating procedures and standards. Perform custodial, housekeeping and waste handling activities as required.
Non-Managerial Positions = No job security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 September 2016
No job protection if you're non-unionized; non-unionized salaries have been frozen since 2009. Job security and promotion based on nepotism. Stay away if you value your principles/morals; highly political climate. You are immediately ushered out the door if terminated - usual reasons are "business re-organization" or "poor fit." Warning signs are lack of work, co-workers avoiding you, duties transferred to someone else, office relocation. HR dept. ignores you unless you are being terminated. "Training" is computer-based; very little desk side IT support - unless it's an emergency or you're an executive, expect to wait. Focus of CEO is to replace older workers with young(er) workers, who will work for less but perform the functions of 2 workers. Beware of location at 700 University: tightly regulated stationery dept. (i.e., need to record # of pens, pencils taken for use), company downsizing. However, no-frills on-site gym is available - you pay, but executives and upper mgmt. don't pay. Health benefits are standard, but excellent if you're unionized. Job duties constantly changes - what you sign up for changes upon the whims of the dept.; don't believe what mgmt. tells you - only unionized workers and upper mgmt. benefit. If you like functioning as a robot, company mantra, no job security, and doing more for less, then this employer is for you.
Pros
on-site gym
Cons
nepotism, corporate culture
Internal Audit
Manager of Internal Audit (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 September 2016
Very tense audit environment due to tone at the top - management are not people friendly and not allowed to work from home or book time off unless it is months in advance. Management treated differently then union and high turn over.
Pros
Pension
Excellent!
Clerical Support (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON18 August 2016
Friendly, welcoming environment. Job security is ranked low because of contract positions but other than that, Ontario Power Generation is a wonderful place to work.
Large corporation with lots of areas to move to for continued personal growth
OSRII Currently Admin Support (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON14 June 2016
I have worked with OPG for almost 26 years. It is an excellent place to work with lots of opportunities to learn new things and grow.
Pros
excellent salary and benefits
A safe environment to work in
First Line Manager (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON6 June 2016
- A typical consists of planning and execution of work
- Learn a lot about safety and productivity
- Good communication to and from management
- Good working relationship among the workers
- The most enjoyable part is performing work to support the reliable generation of electricity
Pros
Good work enviroment
A good team with great workplace culture
HR Intern (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON6 June 2016
It was such a great learning opportunity working with the HR team.
The team members were very friendly.
I was abe to learn more about labour relations and severally observed processes.
The enjoyable part was just having to work with a team where I could ask questions and feel relaxed while working.
my ideal working environment
Finance Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 June 2016
I love to be in environment where I can learn and contribute my skill sets and experiences. I also enjoy both the routine accounting and analytic responsiblities. I am a work hard and play hard type of worker and enjoy the interactions of people but able to focus on my responsibilities at the same time.
Good place
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Smoky Falls, ON5 May 2016
Miss working at this place, it was a camp job, the food was awesome, the people were great. loved my job and learned a lot working there 4 years. Good pay and benefits.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
10 hour shifts
Control Technician co-op (Former Employee) –  Control technician16 April 2016
every job is very well planned and organized the work is completed as safe as possible. a lot of team work to come up with solutions to problems
great place to work
Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ON24 March 2016
I was a student there and i was getting paid more then my parents.

They are a good company but very hard to get into. Unless you are an engineer or have a specialized job set forget it.

if you get in your set for life but a lot of contract work.

Very conscious about job safety
Pros
very well paid
Cons
hard to attain a job
I enjoyed all the different poositions I held while working there.
Housekeeping and other duties when required (Former Employee) –  Toronto and Pickering23 March 2016
I enjoyed the 27 years that I worked at Ontario Hydro/Ontario Power Generation as it is a company that has may opportunities available for individuals.
Great place to work, Wish I could go back
Student Nuclear Operator (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON9 February 2016
It was a friendly, supportive atmosphere. Everybody there was willing to teach you something, so long as you showed the initiative to ask and provided you had the willingness and patience to learn.

Typical Day: 12 hr day, begins with pre-job brief, ends with post-job brief. Manageable workload given inbetween. Rotating between night and day shift is most difficult part. Working with amazing people is the most important part.
Pros
everything
Cons
inbetween shifts all you do is end up sleeping
Typical and very compliant legal environment
Librarian/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2016
At OPG they encouraged employees to take cognizance of their work/life balance and effective team building, through their gym facilities and WL days.

This being a legal department allowed additional learning of researching law cases, which further enhances my financial background.
Pros
Flexibility
Great pay... Zero respect given by senior Management
Nuclear Response Force (Current Employee) –  Leader, SK9 January 2016
Security is run by a bunch of ex RCMP dictators... Do as I say not as I do attitude. Won't even say hello to uniform staff. Don't want to hear your concerns or suggestions. Treat the staff like garbage.
First Line Managers are great... Know how to lead from the front and take care of their people
Pros
Pay
Cons
Shifts and Senior Managers
internal audit
Manager of Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2016
Not an environment that foster professional growth. Employees seem to be very unhappy and stressed. Vacation time or sick time difficult to take and the department is struggling with moral issues.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
stressful environment
Great Work Environment
Assistant Technical Engineer/Officer (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON21 December 2015
The work environment is great.

The salary is also up to industry standards that is not disappointing at all.

Management is quick and helpful to answer your question, but becoming permanent from temp is a million dollar question.

Once permanent, do not worry about job security.

Despite having good enough salary, they are really horrible at giving benefits and paid vacation days. For example, in Christmas, only 25, 26 and 1st are off even if one or all of them falls in weekends. Most rivals are way better and flexible that way.
Very professional
2nd Class Stationary Engineer Steam Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Tiverton, ON5 December 2015
This was a very professional work atmosphere yet I felt comfortable as to asking as many questions of the operations. I was told there was never a dumb question.
Great Place
2nd Class Stationary Engineer (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ON5 December 2015
Great Place to work, got along with everyone management would always here my concerns and work with me on any problems although I can't recall any major problems.
Productive work in my field of studies
Information Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 December 2015
I enjoyed working at Ontario Power Generation as assignment:

* was in my field of studies
* was diverse
* helped me to develop new skills such as project management, software design and development
* contained a great deal of troubleshooting and systematic problem solving

A typical day was checking the systems operation, resolving problems, planning and working on systems enhancement and development and learning about new tools.
Pros
10 minutes travel time to work
Cons
it was a short term contract - maternity leave replacement

4.5