Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources Employee Reviews

A good stable job to have if you can get it!
Species at Risk Biologist (Former Employee) –  Vineland Station, ON6 January 2016
I enjoyed my time at OMNR. Although mine was only a short term contract position, I recommend this kind of job to people in my field looking for work that is structured (9-5 work days) and has benefits. I learned a lot about policy and how it is implemented at the level of the government. Co-workers at the time were great and helpful. Management was good as well, since I did not know everything about the job when I started, my supervisor helped me out a lot, which actually helped him learn more about my position and its responsibilities (it was a relatively new position at the time).
The hardest part of this job was not bringing work home with me. I also found myself constantly at the computer answering e-mails and phone calls, which became repetitive... not the best use of my skills to be honest. By the end of my contract I found that I did little science and more negotiating with proponents of permit applications. I felt that I missed academia which led me to accept a PhD position at McGill University.
Pros
benefits, good pay, related to my field of study
Cons
can have long hours, not mentally stimulating, not doing much actual science
Provided good PM experience dealing with remote projects in Ontario
Senior Infrastructure Projects Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON10 September 2016
1. Dealt with consultants and contractors working on remote sites within Norther Ontario in Provincial parks located in Killarney and other northern Ontario locations.
Pros
Dealt with remote projects
Cons
Long commute from Toronto
Productive and interesting workplace, surrounded by well-experienced GIS professionals
Geomatics Technician (Former Employee) –  Guelph, Ontario (OMAF) via Peterborough, Ontario.28 July 2013
As a Geomatics Technician with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Provincial Geomatics Service Centre division, my primary responsibility focused on updating the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture Food and Rural Affairs agricultural Tile Drainage system data and performing continuous quality assurance prior to posting updates of particular property datasets pertaining to Geographic township fabric, from paper maps into Land Information Ontario databases current to the OMAFRA agricultural web information portal. My responsibilities also included working with external clients, management and staff to ensure quality control procedures upheld data quality and integrity.
Pros
Great experience, great benefits, great people.
Cons
Contract-based.
Exciting versatile jobs with room to expand
Forest Firefighter (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON21 January 2015
I attained many skills in all fields of work I was involved in with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources including fighting forest fires, maintaining fire suppression equipment, Chainsawing, rustic camping ,using hand tools, dealing with the public, being involved in various community activities. The Ministry has plenty of various jobs that are exciting and allow individuals to grow in the career of their choice.
Pros
Working in the outdoors
Cons
Awkward hours
Great place to work, Stress free work enviroment
Microsoft SharePoint Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 April 2014
• Provided first level support for software, hardware, and connectivity issue to internal clients
• Promptly learned technical skills in a completely unfamiliar field due to commitment to learning and personal growth
• Customized and configured Microsoft SharePoint websites using web UI or SharePoint Designer
• Designed and deployed customized web applications within SharePoint
• Regularly encountered issues and utilized problem solving skills and root cause analysis to determine the source of the issue and implement effective solutions
Pros
Felexible hours
Cons
Commute
Excellent skills taught for any job. Makes you appreciate the small things in life.
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Dryden, ON17 October 2013
Wild land fire fighters are responsible for the prevention, containment and suppression of wild land fires. They are employed on a permanent or seasonal basis by several provinces. All duties are physically demanding and undertaken outdoors, often in extreme conditions.

Although I have done this job for 17 years it was time for me to leave the one job that gave me the greatest skill sets ever. This job, although physically demanding, as I stated was the best job a young person could ever have.

I worked this job for 17 years and seen almost everything you can think of. I survived a tornado as my crew and I camp out in the woods fighting these wild land fires for up to 21 days straight possibly. My crew rescued down aircraft, drowning victims, people lost in the woods, finding illegal grow ops and most of all the one thing that is the most gratifying is saving lives, property and the environment.

I had to leave the job only because it is not a family persons job with a young family. I was fortunate to have to job I do now.
Pros
Excellent life skills taught
Cons
Gone all summer away from family
A great summer job for students interested in environmental work
Mill Creek Ranger (Former Employee) –  Puslinch, ON9 April 2015
Working for MNR was a great experience. not only was my time there very educational but everyone you work with is pleasant. I could not have asked to work for a better organization.
Pros
the team you work with, some food provided, all training is free
Cons
working outside is very weather dependant
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
Ontario Parks Ranger (Former Employee) –  Grand Bend, ON24 December 2013
A fantastic summer job that helps develop strong interpersonal skills. Management was fair to each employee.
Awesome
Provincial Logistics Supply Unit (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON24 May 2013
A great place, where everyone gets together and it feels like a family workplace.
You learn lots on Logistics through out the forest fire situations.
Lots of learning and different certificates gained.
Pros
Lots of Hours during Fire Season
Cons
Laid off during the winter months
ssafe work environment
Fisheries Technician - Resource Technician (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON5 July 2012
many opportunities, good work environment, professional staff.
great experience
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  dryden ontario14 November 2012
although i was only there for my practicum, I was made to be an important part of the team.. or so it felt anyways

4.6