Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Exciting versatile jobs with room to expand
Forest Firefighter (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: working in the outdoors
Cons: awkward hours
I attained many skills in all fields of work I was involved in with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources including fighting forest fires, maintaining fire suppression equipment, Chainsawing, rustic camping ,using hand tools, dealing with the public, being involved in various community activities. The Ministry has plenty of various jobs that are exciting and allow individuals to grow in the career of their choice.
Great place to work, Stress free work enviroment
Microsoft SharePoint Developer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 29, 2014
Pros: felexible hours
Cons: commute
• Provided first level support for software, hardware, and connectivity issue to internal clients
• Promptly learned technical skills in a completely unfamiliar field due to commitment to learning and personal growth
• Customized and configured Microsoft SharePoint websites using web UI or SharePoint Designer
• Designed and deployed customized web applications within SharePoint
• Regularly encountered issues and utilized problem solving skills and root cause analysis to determine the source of the issue and implement effective solutions
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
Ontario Parks Ranger (Former Employee), Grand Bend, ONDecember 24, 2013
A fantastic summer job that helps develop strong interpersonal skills. Management was fair to each employee.
Excellent skills taught for any job. Makes you appreciate the small things in life.
Crew Leader (Former Employee), Dryden, ONOctober 17, 2013
Pros: excellent life skills taught
Cons: gone all summer away from family
Wild land fire fighters are responsible for the prevention, containment and suppression of wild land fires. They are employed on a permanent or seasonal basis by several provinces. All duties are physically demanding and undertaken outdoors, often in extreme conditions.

Although I have done this job for 17 years it was time for me to leave the one job that gave me the greatest skill sets ever. This job, although physically demanding, as I stated was the best job a young person could ever have.

I worked this job for 17 years and seen almost everything you can think of. I survived a tornado as my crew and I camp out in the woods fighting these wild land fires for up to 21 days straight possibly. My crew rescued down aircraft, drowning victims, people lost in the woods, finding illegal grow ops and most of all the one thing that is the most gratifying is saving lives, property and the environment.

I had to leave the job only because it is not a family persons job with a young family. I was fortunate to have to job I do now.
Productive and interesting workplace, surrounded by well-experienced GIS professionals
Geomatics Technician (Former Employee), Guelph, Ontario (OMAF) via Peterborough, Ontario.July 28, 2013
Pros: great experience, great benefits, great people.
Cons: contract-based.
As a Geomatics Technician with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Provincial Geomatics Service Centre division, my primary responsibility focused on updating the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture Food and Rural Affairs agricultural Tile Drainage system data and performing continuous quality assurance prior to posting updates of particular property datasets pertaining to Geographic township fabric, from paper maps into Land Information Ontario databases current to the OMAFRA agricultural web information portal. My responsibilities also included working with external clients, management and staff to ensure quality control procedures upheld data quality and integrity.
Awesome
Provincial Logistics Supply Unit (Current Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONMay 24, 2013
Pros: lots of hours during fire season
Cons: laid off during the winter months
A great place, where everyone gets together and it feels like a family workplace.
You learn lots on Logistics through out the forest fire situations.
Lots of learning and different certificates gained.
great experience
GIS Technician (Former Employee), dryden ontarioNovember 14, 2012
although i was only there for my practicum, I was made to be an important part of the team.. or so it felt anyways
ssafe work environment
Fisheries Technician - Resource Technician (Former Employee), Aurora, ONJuly 5, 2012
many opportunities, good work environment, professional staff.