Ontario Institute for Cancer Research Employee Reviews

Not a good place to advance your career
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 29, 2015
Although this institute lists many lab heads on their page, it it misleading--there are only about 6 or so groups there. The culture is similar to an industry. Without exaggeration, they you are bombarded with emails about staff changes, new policies, changes in security, social events, needless biosafety and pretentious weather warnings and show of concern.
I came here thinking that it was a good institute (which is the impression I had from the website by looking at the list of investigators there) however majority of these are at other locations. I found this ingenuous and frankly really disturbing that they would mislead people.
There are lot of silly titles like "Directors" etc and HR is heavy-handed. There are over 15 to 20 institute policy documents given to your on the first day. Unfortunately, I cannot get my time back, but I hope that other postdocs or staff considering working at OICR should think again. OICR is nothing like Sick Kids or Mount Sinai or OCI/PMH.
After 5 pm, the place is nearly empty. This does not happen at a normal research institute.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Poor research environment, work environment
competitive workplace
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 18, 2015
fun place to work, nice lab, which push you to generate new ideas and bring to positive output. Difficult to rise above postdoc, or research associate. The HR is given too many power
Pros
good Kitchen
Cons
no privacy
Support Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 2, 2015
My time at OICR was an amazing experience where I got the opportunity to learn and grow in a fast pace environment. I experienced good times as well as bad but thanks to the help and support of my colleagues I was able to strive through these obstacles in order to be successful.
Pros
Worked with an amazing team
Cons
Quiet and friendly environment where people are able to work independently, as well as part of a team.
Research Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2014
I used publicly available biological databases to identify and locate various resources where I could deduce transcriptome/gene expression levels for genes expressed in the normal, healthy pancreas. This was then used to compare to cancer transcriptomes.
average company
associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 30, 2014
High salaries but low job security. Management are the highest paid
A good place overall
Genomincs (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 15, 2014
It is a good company overall. I enjoyed working there and will always charish the experience gained over the years.
A good work place
XYZ (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 4, 2014
OICR is overall a good work place. Flexible hours and good benefits. A good retirement plan is in place as well through HOOP.

Ontario Institute for Cancer Research Reviews by Job Title