Job Title: Waterfowl Unit Technician
Application Deadline: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 at 5:00 PM
Potential Start Date: September 22, 2014
Potential End Date: December 23, 2014
Hours: Full-time contract (Irregular Hours: day, evening, weekend and holidays)
Location: Port Rowan (Long Point Provincial Park)
Rate of Pay: To be determined
Number of Positions: 1
The OFAH is currently seeking a passionate and hardworking individual to join the OFAH in partnership with Long Point Provincial Park and Long Point Waterfowlers’ Association as the *Waterfowl Unit Technician*. The successful applicant will have considerable knowledge of federal and provincial hunting regulations and applied expertise/experience hunting migratory birds.
- Visually inspect and confirm, prior to issuing a hunting permit, that each hunter has the required valid federal and provincial hunting permits on their person according to the regulations;
- Collect and record the required information on the Long Point Waterfowl Unit’s hunter registration card prior to issuing a hunting permit. As well, collect and record each hunter’s daily hunting results on the hunter’s registration card ensuring all bird species are correctly identified;
- Ensure that all hunters holding valid permits for a shooting day exit the Unit on that shooting day before closing the Unit office;
- Sell any required provincial park permits and additional hunting items required by hunters using the Unit;
- Repair and maintain all hunting blinds, signs, lights, markers and equipment used at the Unit; and
- Additional duties as assigned by the LPWMU manager.
Education and Qualifications:
- College or university education in biology, fish and wildlife, environmental science or equivalent work-related experience in the relevant fields;
- Strong knowledge of federal and provincial hunting regulations and hunting migratory birds;
- Must have experience in building/maintaining duck blinds;and
- Cashier experience would be an asset.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Essential computer skills (MS Office, GPS & GIS technology) and database management;
- Mechanical aptitude and ability to operate a chainsaw, tractor, brush hog, gator, auger, boat, etc.
- Field work experience including ability to lift heavy weights (10-50kg) and to work in cold/wet conditions for long periods of time;
- Organizational, multi-tasking, and time management skills;
- Problem solving; and
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, team and partnership skills.
- Valid driver’s license (Class G);
- Valid hunting Outdoors Card, firearms license, and pleasure craft operators card;
- Valid Emergency First Aid with Level A CPR certification and Marine Emergency Duties A3;
- Valid police reference check; and
- Valid OFAH membership.
Please submit a letter of interest and a résumé, which must include your education and work experience history, and three references to:
Attention: Anthony Rumleskie, Assistant Park Superintendent
Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters
P.O. Box 2800
Peterborough, ON K9J 8L5
Fax: (705) 748-9577
E-mail: jobs ofah.org
NO TELEPHONE CALLS PLEASE
The deadline for an application is Tuesday, September 2, 2014.
Only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters is
an equal opportunity and accessible employer.
The OFAH is committed to providing accessible opportunities for all qualified job applicants. Should you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please contact Julie Young, Human Resources Assistant at 705-748-6324 x245 or julie_young ofah.org.