Ontario Consumers Home Services

Ontario Consumers Home Services Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
The Real Story
This is literally door-to-door sales. (Former Employee), TorontoJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Just don't do it
Cons: You have been warned.
This is not just a negative review, but the truth.

Here is what you'll experience when you sign up for their job posting on kijiji.ca (keep in mind, this is a ghetto site for looking for jobs)

You'll receive a phone call the next day about your resume and will be asked to visit their yonge st. (Toronto's Head Office) office for an interview. The office is next to a training gym, "JCC."

– more...
Small, cramped, but pretty on the inside, you'll meet an attractive female receptionist who will hand you a sheet asking you to enter your SIN number, as well as several other personal information that I stupidly gave out...(you don't give out your SIN number unless you get hired; that's a red-flag right there). You'll sit on a row of chairs in an office of the size of a one bedroom apartment in New York, along with other aspiring Jordan Belforts.

Afterwards, a hiring manager will interview one-by-one. Regardless of what you say, you will be given a "second" interview, as well as an on-road field day to see the "Life in a Day" of a scammer.

Tomorrow, you will go to that interview and bring a pen and paper and sit through an hour of their amazing presentation on the amaaaaazing perks of the job, how everyone gets mercedes benz and how they all the staff members went to jamicaaaaaaa. For crying out loud...sorry, let me get back to my experience.

After they hook you in with how amazing their job is (they planned all this in stages VERY cleverly), they will take you in a ride inside a toyota mini-van with a bunch of other "technicians." Here's the best part: you will listen to motivational sound tracks throughout the ENTIRE trip -- sounds fun, right? All while the guy you're driving with, your "mentor" for the job, will be talking to you to find out your interests and hook you in further for the job.

Ready for the best part? They will take you to Barrie. That's right. Or Oshawa. I literally thought I was getting kidnapped and wanted to open the door and bail, but I was too nervous to commit. During that time, you go through rich white neighbourhoods in "technician" work outfits to look the part.

"Why are you dressing like that? With hammers, flashlight, and measuring tape?"

"To look the part, it makes it more convincing."

...I went door-to-door, seeing how manipulative their service is towards people. I was glad that for the most part, residents were smart and slammed the door. For others, I wish I left a note telling them not to sign the dotted line to purchase their false-advertising HVAC services.

Unless you have a corrupted moral compass, I'd suggest you look elsewhere, where you can BUILD your resume with GOOD references. Oh, did I mention they took me to Harvey's to show me all their wonderful paycheck? Sadly, they didn't take me to a michelin star restaurant to show off their hard-earned cash from what the job promises. – less
Do not waste your time.... these guys are scammers
Sales (Former Employee), Everywhere .... it is door to door pitchingJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Nothing
Cons: No stable salary, dishonest employers, commission based
Okay....so these guys are good at sales and manipulating vulnerable people who quite possibly can't find work elsewhere.

When I applied for this job, I applied for an office position. And I honestly thought this is what I was applying for. And throughout the interview process they emphasized that there were a number of opportunities throughout the company in all departments.

After the first – more... interview you are invited back for round two. And they still keep the lie going and continue to LIE about their roles right up until the end of the interview, when they assign you with a manager for the day....

They introduced the managers as if they were A list superstars and got us all excited.... I was rolling my eyes at this point....

After we were assigned one of the A List stars, we got in the car (having no idea what was going on) and drove to Barrie to do door to door sales..... And they broke the truth to us when we were half way up the highway....

So I just told them straight up, this is not for me and took the next bus back to Toronto.

These guys prey on vulnerable people. And what may sound like a good deal probably is not.

Please do not b stupid like me and let these guys SCAM/FOOL you with their well practiced sales pitch!!!!!!!!!!

You are better than these guys! – less
DANGER unethical activity !
Sales Rep (Former Employee), 619 Yonge StreetJuly 7, 2015
Cons: Unethical, Deceptive, Lying, $$$ over homeowners/employees
Working at Ontario Consumers Home Services (OCHS)

If you are seeking to work for an ethical company that really cares for their customers, you will not find that working at OCHS. Working for Ontario Consumers Home Services you will rip people off. Meaning you will make them pay more money than they should. This company has the appearance of being a great company,
How the company makes money. – more... Selling homeowners a furnace and an air conditioner for 79.99$/month for 10 years . Which is over 9000$, not the best deal even for the quality of the products for that amount of money. A true sales champion focuses on delivering ethical and moral service to their customer. OCHS is ripping homeowners off and doing it with a smile on their face. And a lot more in the contract. ex. they are allowed to raise the monthly rate by over 3% ( monthly not yearly) way more than inflation.

You will have to decide ethics/morals over money. IF someone does not care about being ethical and moral, it is very easy for them to lie.
I worked for this company for about 2-3 months, I really have to say everything else is great, but that one thing which outweighs everything else. “What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, but in the end to lose his soul.”

To employees of OCHS: If you are currently working for OCHS, ask yourself these questions. Who am I hanging around? What do they have me saying and doing? Would I sell the products to my own family and friends? Who am I becoming? Is that ok? Why not? – less
Do not work here.
Door-To-Door Salesperson (Former Employee), TorontoApril 19, 2015
Pros: Nothing.
Cons: False Advertisement. Unethical company.
False advertisement. I was a university student last year and applied for a marketing position. Went to the interview and they were not honest about their company and what they do. I left immediately after the first day. I should have read previous reviews and that is why i am writing this to warn you about this company.

I went to first day training and realized they made us do door to door, selling – more... their heating and air conditioning systems which they claim to be associated with the toronto hydro. LIES LIES LIES. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME HERE. Also, on the day of training, they pair you up with one of those leaders who claim to make thousands of dollars in just a few weeks, bs. They bring you into their van to some sketchy location and they make you start selling door to door on the spot. They do not give you any information or heads up on what they are going to teach you or what you will be doing for the rest of the training.

They try to suck you in with their "life changing, motivational speeches". Which I almost fell for. I never do reviews, but this was something that was called for where I do not want other people to go through and waste their time with. – less
respects its workers
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 12, 2015
a company that respects its personnel and i trusted me and my work ethic to get the job done. am quite comfortable with it.
Dishonest from the start
N/a (Former Employee), north yorkApril 8, 2015
Pros: N/a
Cons: dishonest company - run as fast as you can
The company advertised for an admin assistant, when I arrived for the interview the admin assistant job interview has turned into a call-centre job interview.

False job advertising!!! Beware.
Productive and enjoyable - self employment
Direct Sales Representative (Current Employee), North York, ONJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: great commission and compensation, working with highly motivated individuals
Cons: long hours and frustrating interactions when focus is lost
A typical day at work starts with practice of sales presentation with other employees followed by a sales motivational meeting with the Director of the office we belong to. Afterwards a short but relaxing lunch break while heading out to the territory we are assigned to that day. For 6-8 hours we are each given a street(s) to work on where we directly represent the company, products and services to – more... homeowners at their place of residence. The hardest part of the job is overcoming the rejection that occurs each day, however after several days of seeing and hearing the same things this becomes normal. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting people who truly benefit from meeting myself, and being introduced into the latest essential home equipment which maximizes the efficiency of their energy use and decreases their monthly bills. By truly helping people and then collecting the commissioned sales cheques, is the most thrilling experience because it's easily seen that great work has been done. – less
Very nice
At-Home Recruiter (Current Employee), 619 Yonge StDecember 27, 2014
- Booking interviews to succeeded candidates
- Providing information about the company
Long days, but fun
Door to Door Salesman (Current Employee), Ottawa, OntarioJuly 30, 2014
Working for Ontario Consumers was a lot of fun. The problem was Never being at home with my family. I learned a lot from the job, being a salesman is really the best way to teach you to have a good strong work ethic. The working environment is great, salespeople have to be positive and friendly to everyone. It's kind of in the job description.

The hard part obviously is pounding the pavement to get sales.
Terrible
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 29, 2014
Cons: commission pay
Commission pay and nothing is gauranteed. A phony company to work for.
A great big SCAM
Sales rep (Former Employee), 619 yongeJuly 11, 2014
Cons: 60 hr weeks with no pay.
Firstly, the sales tactic they use is to force way into house, then con individuals into a product based on false math. I left after three weeks of working with this company, the office at 619 yonge. Upon realising that nobody on our team was making any money, I left. Pretty sure the practice here is find new recruits everyday, milk them for what you can, and in 3-4 weeks they will leave. It took me – more... 3 months to get paid my commission. Initially they claimed nothing I sold actilually got installed. They took a quick 180 when I pointed out that I was back at the house the following day and watched it get installed. This company is a racket. They claim to be affiliated with companies they are not and they pretend to know about the equipment they are selling. If they era h a client who knows about these products, they move onto the next house.

Badge number 7839 – less
productive and fun environment. Great team fealing
Manager HVAC sales (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2014
Pros: fast paced environment
Cons: long hours
Train HVAC sales personnel and motivate them daily to perform above and beyond their comfort zone.

I learned how to motivate people and money is not always the key motivator.

Working with a team of like minded positive people was a huge success.

Hardest part of the job was leaving to pursue my own business.

Team building was the most enjoyable part.
competitive and stressful working environment
Sale Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 14, 2014
Good attitude is critical. Timing is important. You have to keep calm and carry on.
Self-encouragement necessary and is a beneficial for developing communication and sales skills
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONMarch 27, 2014
Pros: work at your own pace
Cons: long hours (up to 11 hour days)
- Approach houses in neighbourhoods that are most likely in need of home appliance upgrades
- Present our products to the customers, pros and cons of upgrading
- Sign up customers for a product upgrade
- Follow up with customers regarding product questions and/or concerns
- Learned to be able to identify the different concerns that customers had (awareness of details and circumstances)
- Learned how to promote a product in the best way yet still maintaining honesty to the customer
- I developed my communication skills and am able to build rapport with customers now
- Hardest part of the job is knowing how to deal with rejection from customers
- Most enjoyable part is being able build a personal relationship with satisfied customers
Growth
Sales representative (Former Employee), Toronto ONFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: incentives
Cons: commission based, unsecured
This company has thought me the opportunity of growth when it comes to my goals in life and what I should do to achieve it. They have opened my eyes to a team work environment.
Commission based
Authorized Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 30, 2013
learned how to deal with all sorts of customers
good management
friendly co wokers
Excellent Job
Team Leader, Door-To-Door Sales Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 22, 2013
Pros: money
Cons: long hours
I've never had so much fun, growth opportunity and amazing pay as I have here at Ontario Consumers Home Services. Stumbling on their ad on Craigslist changed my life.
Productive and fun
Outbound Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 7, 2013
Pros: great team
Cons: long hours
This was a great place to work. Co-workers were extremely respectful. We would being the day by practicing our skills, and the team leader (manager) would tell us how to enhance our experience. Then, we would be assigned one area, and one teammate. Breaks are allowed when the Manager calls, and if you kept at pace.
True Recognition and Supportive Work Culture
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 19, 2013
Pros: supportive environment, recognition, promotion, good salary
Cons: no job satisfaction, mostly onsite work, not good choice for woman
I have been working with Ontario Consumers Home Services for just over sixth months. This is my first job where everyday I actually look into going into work. Management within this company have created such a positive and supportive environment. I feel like I have truly grown within this company and I am a stronger and more confident person. What is also great within Ontario Consumers Home Services – more... is that they offer so many possibilities for promotions. I have had previous jobs were they boast about the promotions that I was eligible, qualified and guaranteed but never was it followed through for myself or anyone. OCHS truly recognizes hard work and dedication, and offers so many opportunities for promotions. For the first time in my life I can say that I truly have job satisfaction! But as the job profile requires you travel a lot to the onsite, it was not made for me!!! Miss u guys. – less
Excellent Place to Work for Engineers
Water Heater Installation (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 19, 2013
Pros: good salary, flexible work hours, positive culture, good management, learning atmosphere
Cons: need to travel a lot as they provide mostly on-site assistance
I wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate Ontario Consumers Home Services as an employer. I have joined this company 6 months back and since then I am learning so many things from my seniors. They are very helpful.

Technicians and engineers are so polite and professional. They always answer to all of my questions. They are committed to getting their work done. I can honestly say that the experience that I have with Ontario Consumers Home Services is 100 % positive. Please share this with others and anyone who want to build their career in Consumers Electronics and Engineering.