Once Upon a Child Employee Reviews

Fun, positive-vibe, enjoyable work environment
Sorter, Merchandiser, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONSeptember 8, 2016
I loved coming to work because my tasks varied everyday depending on the volume of items coming in to the store that day, and how busy we were with customers. My co-workers were very nice and made the work environment so enjoyable and fun.
Pros
Fun, fast-paced work environment
Cons
difficult customers
Great staff
Full-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONJune 26, 2016
Depending on the location the job is a great one. Given the location means the owner may be different. So, depending on who the owner is.. it's a make or break.
Productive and fun work place
Supervisor/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCJune 7, 2016
Great work environment, friendly staff clean and safe work environment. This job was not just a 9-5 for me it was truly something i enjoyed doing.
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
Long Hours
All females, but cool nonetheless.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJune 3, 2016
Putting clothes away and sorting them from child to teenager.

I learned a fair amount on the cash register.

Management was sweet, and forgiving.

Co-workers were pretty well to get along with.

The hardest part of the job was carrying a ton of clothes for many different isles of the store.

Most enjoyable was sorting the clothes.
Pros
Vending machine.
Best place to work
Team Leader/Special events coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONFebruary 17, 2016
Once upon a child Ajax, was by far my most favorite place to work. The girls are all friendly, accommodating, fun, customers were always lovely to deal with. just an over all amazing place and I wish I could go back
Pros
great discouunts, friendly staff, friendly customers, great benifits
Cons
i spent to much money when i worked ;), could have had a higher salary
Learned a lot about myself
Sales, Cashier and Buyer (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONDecember 7, 2015
I learned that I will not be mentally mature enough to work until I am 18 years old, according to the owner. The manager is really friendly and helps create a positive work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers and getting to interact with them and their families.
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Bad owner
Busy workplace with a comfortable working atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONNovember 29, 2015
A typical day at work involves me starting on a particular job (i.e. tagging and/or cash) and eventually progresses to additional tasks throughout the day (i.e. running clothes onto sales floor, cleaning, etc.). I have learned additional customer service experience that adhere's to this company's standards and requirements. All co-workers, including management are very approachable and personable, something that I find makes a better working environments. The hardest part of the job is maintaining the appearance of the sales, only because the store is quite busy, so at times I will be providing customer service for longer; however, I will do my best to keep the floor looking good whenever I can. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with people, whether it be co-workers or customers, I enjoy talking to people.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
sometimes I am unable to accomplish my goals in one shift
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Staff (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 11, 2015
I enjoyed working as a team, I gravitated to the families and the children that came in to the store, providing them with the quality and care that is expected from a team member.
Pros
Getting to know Families and being available to provide assistance when needed.
Fun atmosphere to be a part of
Cashier, Customer Service, Part-time Key holder (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJune 3, 2015
Working at Once Upon a Child you are able to learn about the business, it is different than consignment which many people are unaware of. You are able to dabble in various parts of the business, the sorting of inventory, cash and customer service, and keeping the store organized and abundant with merchandise.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
Limited Advancement
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier and product stocking (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCFebruary 26, 2014
Once Upon a Child is a great place to work with fantastic customer service. The staff are very approachable and always have smiles on their faces, even in the more stressful situations.
Pros
great customer service
Cons
not enough hours
Great Environment, Terrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 3, 2014
Great environment if you love being around children daily! Terrible place to work if you want to get along with your boss, be treated fairly, get decent hours, and to be paid for the labour you are doing.
The owner has terrible manners, talks down to you and is not honest. Neither is more than half of her staff.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONDecember 17, 2013
* Typical work day is pretty busy. There is always something to do.
* I learned management skills.
* I am very comfortable with my co-workers
Pros
staff
Fun place to work
Customer service oriented (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONSeptember 23, 2013
Once Upon a Child was a great work place. management and emplyees were very welcoming. Unfortunately as a franchise company they could not offer benifits or full time hours.
Pros
great environment
Cons
no benifits, low pay
A Fun and Family Oriented Place
Key Holder / Buyer - Laid Off - Ownership Change (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONApril 2, 2012
I loved working at this store with the staff that was there before the owners sold it and laid me off.

Everyone I worked with was just like family and treated each other as if they were. We were a very close knit team that worked very well together.
Pros
teamwork, family oriented, fun, social
Cons
owners sold it