Olympia Trust Company Employee Reviews

positive, energetic, enjoyable work environment
Account Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 July 2017
I have held numerous positions over the years in a customer service oriented environment and my time with Olympia Trust was by far the most fulfilling, enjoyable and rewarding position I have ever held. I would not be leaving them were it not for the reason of moving to another city that Olympia Trust is not located in. I woke up every day excited to go to work. The work was challenging without being draining and the support from co-workers and management was positive and constructive. The company grew fast in the short two years that I was there and it was an honour to be a part of it's growth. It's a great company to work for!
Productive friendly Environment with room for advancements
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 June 2017
This place is fun to be around with friendly co-workers that make your day enjoyable. There is tons of room to grow and advance with great opportunities in shares/stocks and continuing education.
Pros
Friendly open atmosphere
Cons
salary starts are low
Definitely Do Not Recommend
PROCESSING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2017
There is no win-win situation here. Managers make poor decisions without any thought about how it'll impact their business or their employees.
*** Extremely poor management and integrity has absolutely no place in this company ****
registered plans divison (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2016
Pros: friendly atmosphere
Cons: - abusive management / bullies
- low pay vs responsibility
- no integrity in this company at all !!!
- if you have an opinion do not apply there. They want submissive employees that they can train like monkeys..
I wonder if the board of directors and shareholders that public company is aware of the bad management and treatment to employees ?????
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
long list ... see review
Avoid at All Costs
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2016
This company is absolutely horrible to work for. The senior management maintains a culture of fear. At staff meetings, we had to go around the table and vote which of our team members is the worst and least productive while we all sat in fear waiting to hear our teammates slander one another.

I can say that all of my team members are concerned about job security daily which causes back stabbing and huge trust issues.

Compensation is poor, especially considering the mental abuse you experience daily.

Oh, and don't even think about filing a "confidential" complaint. All of the complaints go straight to upper management and you get canned.

They always claim to be in the "Top 100 Canadian Employers" and "Top 65 Albertan Employers" in their job ads... but check the dates! They haven't been on that list in several years.
Pros
You do get free coffee and pop.... wow
Cons
Stress, abuse, poor compensation
If you have more than two brain cells in your head, save yoursef the agony.
Currency Trader (Former Employee) –  Calgary18 February 2015
Management is disrespectful, combative and extremely egotistical. Complaints of ANY kind against the favored are met with arrogance, hostility and finger pointing in your direction. Staff turnover is extreme and many qualified people have left in frustration due to managements inability to see the forest for the trees.

This particular department does a great job of selling itself, however, it doesn't take long to figure out that it's a den of snakes.

Not sure what kind of ceremony can be performed to excise the demons that dwell there.
Pros
Realized that my moral compass was operating at full capacity
Cons
Realized that the concept of a moral compass was something foreign to most
Sadists run the show
Currency Trader (Former Employee) –  Calgary10 October 2014
Put simply the management culture there is created by a pack of sadists running the show. If your a massicist you will do fine. Not recommend for normal humans and certainly not for extrodinary ones!
Pros
Learned how to protect my ego
Cons
Learned how to protect my ego
Horrible Company in today's economy
Transfer Team Specialist (Former Employee) –  calgary, ab1 October 2014
This company was the worst I have ever seen when it comes to pay and being treated with dignity. Transfer team management was horribly trained and had no idea how to train anyone under her. There is no training provided aside from telling you to read a binder, also who was put as lead is even worse. On the surface you would think wow, but this company is poorly run. I would never recommend anyone to work here or invest their money in this company. When staff is that poorly trained how could you possibly trust them with large sums of money?
Cons
long hours, horrible pay, staff abuse
low pay and incentives
Health benefits adminstrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary31 July 2014
Pay was not good and incentives not comparable to other jobs
Pros
was in a nice area
Cons
Low pay and so much middle management
They were Ok
Mortgage Data Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2014
They were ok with trying to learn my disability, but when it came to training they were horrible at it, I was very confused on the mortgages. and I did not understand a thing in meeting and I asked but they told me the exact same thing look in the manual. and hiring me staff was a big problem for them thy dont know how to hire the right staff for the job.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
not good staff

Want to know more about Olympia Trust Company?

Ask a question
Good on the surface
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary6 December 2013
The culture sure looks good on the surface but don't be fooled, it is a very clicky group, the management/supervisor team are all friends and needless to say, someone of them have no business being in management, people get prompted based on whether they are liked by the management team versus their merits.
In the time I was there, they must have fired at least 5-10 people for no good reason if you ask me. It felt like a cult in there and you almost need to kiss up to people and god forbid you didn't stroke someone's ego who happened to be in management or friends with them, then you best to start looking for a new job because it is only a matter of time before they let you go.
There are good people there but unfortunately it is hard to tell who is real or who isn't. Definitely not the great company they make themselves out to be. I have worked for smaller and larger companies are have a much better culture and where your performance is actually based on your performance and personality and not whether you are friends with the management team or not...
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Clicky Management and Culture
Promotions are based on popularity, management is a joke
Registered Plans Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary25 November 2013
Managers are not approachable and make decisions based on personal relationships instead of merit.
Pros
Good Benefits and perks
Cons
Hostile environment, inappropriate managers
Productive and enjoyable place, where they stuck to their motto.
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 October 2012
A typical day at work at Olympia was always enjoyable. I learned how to work in a wonderful, organized and professional work force. The management was wonderful when it came to any situation where i was in need of some assistance. My co-workers made me feel as if i wasn't just a recent High School graduate but an employee all the same. I would say that there was never a moment of my employment there that was challenging. The most enjoyable would be hoe welcoming the employees were there and the fact that, although it was only a contract job, i felt like family there.
Pros
lunch breaks, my hours, the pay, management.
Cons
the job was only contracted till october 12th