Olympia Trust Company Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Avoid at All Costs
Coordinator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 25, 2016
Pros: You do get free coffee and pop.... wow
Cons: Stress, abuse, poor compensation
This company is absolutely horrible to work for. The senior management maintains a culture of fear. At staff meetings, we had to go around the table and vote which of our team members is the worst and least productive while we all sat in fear waiting to hear our teammates slander one another.

I can say that all of my team members are concerned about job security daily which causes back stabbing and huge trust issues.

Compensation is poor, especially considering the mental abuse you experience daily.

Oh, and don't even think about filing a "confidential" complaint. All of the complaints go straight to upper management and you get canned.

They always claim to be in the "Top 100 Canadian Employers" and "Top 65 Albertan Employers" in their job ads... but check the dates! They haven't been on that list in several years.
If you have more than two brain cells in your head, save yoursef the agony.
Currency Trader (Former Employee), CalgaryFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: realized that my moral compass was operating at full capacity
Cons: realized that the concept of a moral compass was something foreign to most
Management is disrespectful, combative and extremely egotistical. Complaints of ANY kind against the favored are met with arrogance, hostility and finger pointing in your direction. Staff turnover is extreme and many qualified people have left in frustration due to managements inability to see the forest for the trees.

This particular department does a great job of selling itself, however, it doesn't take long to figure out that it's a den of snakes.

Not sure what kind of ceremony can be performed to excise the demons that dwell there.
Sadists run the show
Currency Trader (Former Employee), CalgaryOctober 10, 2014
Pros: learned how to protect my ego
Cons: learned how to protect my ego
Put simply the management culture there is created by a pack of sadists running the show. If your a massicist you will do fine. Not recommend for normal humans and certainly not for extrodinary ones!
Horrible Company in today's economy
Transfer Team Specialist (Former Employee), calgary, abOctober 1, 2014
Cons: long hours, horrible pay, staff abuse
This company was the worst I have ever seen when it comes to pay and being treated with dignity. Transfer team management was horribly trained and had no idea how to train anyone under her. There is no training provided aside from telling you to read a binder, also who was put as lead is even worse. On the surface you would think wow, but this company is poorly run. I would never recommend anyone to work here or invest their money in this company. When staff is that poorly trained how could you possibly trust them with large sums of money?
low pay and incentives
Health benefits adminstrator (Former Employee), CalgaryJuly 31, 2014
Pros: was in a nice area
Cons: low pay and so much middle management
Pay was not good and incentives not comparable to other jobs
They were Ok
Mortgage Data Administrator (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 22, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: not good staff
They were ok with trying to learn my disability, but when it came to training they were horrible at it, I was very confused on the mortgages. and I did not understand a thing in meeting and I asked but they told me the exact same thing look in the manual. and hiring me staff was a big problem for them thy dont know how to hire the right staff for the job.
Good on the surface
Coordinator (Former Employee), CalgaryDecember 6, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: clicky management and culture
The culture sure looks good on the surface but don't be fooled, it is a very clicky group, the management/supervisor team are all friends and needless to say, someone of them have no business being in management, people get prompted based on whether they are liked by the management team versus their merits.
In the time I was there, they must have fired at least 5-10 people for no good reason if you ask me. It felt like a cult in there and you almost need to kiss up to people and god forbid you didn't stroke someone's ego who happened to be in management or friends with them, then you best to start looking for a new job because it is only a matter of time before they let you go.
There are good people there but unfortunately it is hard to tell who is real or who isn't. Definitely not the great company they make themselves out to be. I have worked for smaller and larger companies are have a much better culture and where your performance is actually based on your performance and personality and not whether you are friends with the management team or not...
Promotions are based on popularity, management is a joke
Registered Plans Coordinator (Former Employee), CalgaryNovember 25, 2013
Pros: good benefits and perks
Cons: hostile environment, inappropriate managers
Managers are not approachable and make decisions based on personal relationships instead of merit.
Productive and enjoyable place, where they stuck to their motto.
File Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 17, 2012
Pros: lunch breaks, my hours, the pay, management.
Cons: the job was only contracted till october 12th
A typical day at work at Olympia was always enjoyable. I learned how to work in a wonderful, organized and professional work force. The management was wonderful when it came to any situation where i was in need of some assistance. My co-workers made me feel as if i wasn't just a recent High School graduate but an employee all the same. I would say that there was never a moment of my employment there that was challenging. The most enjoyable would be hoe welcoming the employees were there and the fact that, although it was only a contract job, i felt like family there.