Olive Garden

Olive Garden Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Typical fast pace weekends
Hostess (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 23, 2014
Pros: i love keeping busy and gaining managers trust.
Cons: nothing work becomes my life.
I arrive at work an hour before open to take down the closed sign, clean all windows, make kids menus with crayons inside, sweep the lobby, wipe down menus and making sure all are presentable and throw the ugly ones away.
From the first customer walking in at 11:00 am till about 3:00 pm I'm non stop swamped with seating guests, taking down names for – more... big parties on a wait. Then figuring out the quickest way to seat them predicting which tables next to each other have been their the longest and will get up first to put tables together for larger parties.
We run out of baskets of silverware quickly up front so when about to run out I run to the back of kitchen to grab a couple baskets to last awhile.
If any servers need help bringing out food or need help with refills I make an effort to quickly do that then run back to the front.
We run out of bread often as well so if needed ill make enough bread to last at least 30 min for all servers to share.
For the soups every now and then we run out of an ingredient and the managers will send me to the store with money to get a certain amount to last the rest of the day.
If we run out of change to give servers and receive to many big bills managers will send me to the bank to go get more change.
Then when it slows back down I help the bussers take dishes to the back for easier clean up. Then at the host stand I'll refill toothpicks organize the lobby, roll extra silverware, clean and restock bathrooms, and fix menus.
If managers are busy I take over the front and help give oncoming servers their sections for the day and clock them in if they're late.
I normally skip my breaks and before my shift ends I make sure its calm before I leave so none of the other hosts are in a hectic situation, so I help as much as possible. – less
Productive workplace that provides an excellent dining experience
Hospitality Specialist (Former Employee), Florence, SCNovember 22, 2014
I provided excellent customer service by providing hospitality and overseeing all restaurant activities in the dining area. Management was very helpful from the dining area to the kitchen. Employees successfully cooperated in order to obtain the overall goal of excellent customer satisfaction.
The Best
Line cook, all stations (Former Employee), Newport News, VANovember 21, 2014
Love the job and learned a lot about the industry. Darden restaurants is a great company. Great co workers excellent management team.
fun but stressful at times
Certified Trainer/DMO (Former Employee), Colonie, NYNovember 20, 2014
Pros: fun environment
Cons: no breaks unless you work double shifts
can be a nice place to work but the people who work at these establishments can make or break your job security I enjoyed working for them the hardest part of the job is getting others to work together along with you without differences
fun but stressful at times
Host (Former Employee), Paramus, NJNovember 20, 2014
I learned more about costumer service. IT WAS GOOD working at Oliver Gargen
Olive Garden
Busser (Former Employee), Joplin, MONovember 20, 2014
Pros: easy to understand job, salary, competitive, management
Cons: unity, busy, stressful
Olive Garden was busy and still is very busy. Working with a variety of people that will have pressures of the job. It became very stressful but was worth while with the amount of pay. Most of the people love it there because of the potential that can be made through just being a waiter, but I had a steady Busser job. I enjoyed not having to be as stressed – more... as others but did not enjoy the lack of unity from the whole staff. – less
Busy, busy, busy all the time
Server / Expo / Food Runner (Former Employee), Middleburg Heights, OHNovember 19, 2014
Pros: it was a workout and i made friends.
Cons: wrapping pallets by hand
A typical day at work would start with me and 18-24 other guys laying down pallets in preparation for a split. By split I mean taking the contents of a trailer that has been put on the dock and sorting them to pallets labeled by store number. Each store would get a specific number of boxes from each trailer. These pallets would then get sent out to – more... those stores. A typical split would take 6-8 hours and when we were done we'd drive either pallet jacks or tow motors and place the pallets in the aisle they belonged in. Management was always concerned for our safety and made sure everything got done on time. My co-workers weren't quite as motivated as me in getting everything done because I looked at it as a workout as well as a job. The hardest part of the job would be wrapping the pallets by hand. They'd sometimes be 10 feet high. The most enjoyable part would be the workout. – less
Were all family here
Saute' Line Cook/ BOH Production (Current Employee), Panama City, FLNovember 19, 2014
Very busy and plenty of chances to learn and also team building. Great place to show your leadership and management is very positive. Hardest part of the job is competing for hours. Most enjoyable part is cooking and learning recipes.
Pleasant, clean, and great pay, with advancement oppurtunities.
Server (Former Employee), Johnson City, TNNovember 18, 2014
Pros: good money, few hours
Cons: busy enviroment
Shifts were usually either lunch or dinner with a break in between. Co workers worked as a team. Management was excellent. I enjoyed trying new menu items. Pay was great. The Schedule was very flexible.
No benefits, hard work, decent serving money
Server/Bartender (Current Employee), Opelika, ALNovember 17, 2014
Pros: flex schedule
Cons: hard work
Darden doesn't care about their employees at all. Higher ticket average, kinda trashy guests.
competative pay
Culinary Manager (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCNovember 17, 2014
pay is competitive to other places of employement of the same nature.
waited on guests
Server / Host (Former Employee), Riverside, ILNovember 16, 2014
Pros: great food
Cons: very tiring
 Pleasantly greeted and upheld all restaurant/sanitation procedures; accurately prepared itemized checks
 Demonstrated ability to multi-task: managed phones, placed orders, served food, processed payments
 Consistently provided excellent customer service in a fast-paced/high-stress work environment
positive uplifting environment to work
Line Cook (Former Employee), Asheville, NCNovember 16, 2014
very organized management staff and courteous co-workers. stress was minimal on an everyday basis because everyone did what they were supposed to do. the hardest part of the job was learning to organize my work load during peak-volume times. the most enjoyable part was seeing my friends upon arrival to work. this job had such good natured people it – more... was a pleasure to just show up for work. – less
Worked with friendly employees
Weatherford - Bus Boy (Former Employee), Weatherford txNovember 16, 2014
Pros: discounted food
Cons: rushed to clean table off
Bussed and cleaned tables. Saw many friendly faces and I met my girlfriend there.
Fun atmosphere with outgoing work environment
General Manager Frank McClain-Contact Number (614) (Former Employee), Grove City, OHNovember 15, 2014
Pros: working with team players
Cons: not everyone working had the same outlook about their role in the restraurant
My day would begin by arriving ten minutes prior to my shift. Upon arrival I would go over the featured items prior to being signed in by my management staff. I would eagerly anticipate the arrival of my guests. I would make them feel welcome, special and appreciated. Always asking what the occasion is that we were celebrating on this specific visit. – more... I would personalize each guests visits, especially the children.
Our management team was outstanding. Always looking for ways to better each employee, therefore bettering each guests visit with us.
The hardest part of the job was making sure that every guest that came in was treated like I would want to be treated when dining out. Most enjoyable part of the job was to see the smiles of guests and co workers when we had successful dinner services. – less
Productive Workplace with a staff who cares about their line of work
Certified Trainer (Current Employee), Mount Juliet, TNNovember 14, 2014
Pros: you can have almost as many hours as you need, location
Cons: low check average, location
Most recently for me, a typical day at work would either involve bussing tables or serving, depending on the needs of the restaurant. As a server and a Certified Trainer, not only is it my responsibility to provide first class service to my tables but to ensure that my coworkers receive help when they need it and make sure all the company standards – more... are being followed to ensure a safe and organized work environment. I am also what is know as a "blue card", which gives me the authority to help coworkers to correct errors on their checks and make financial decisions for the restaurant, leaving the management to handle bigger issues.
I have learned a great deal of real-world teamwork and leadership skills, along with how to provide top-notch customer service thanks to those who have mentored me along the way.
My coworkers in general genuinely care about their jobs and follow the standards to maintain guest satisfaction and the Hospitaliano! spirit. They ask for help when they need it, and they always give it when asked. I have personally mentored a couple of my coworkers and could not be more proud of what they have become.
The hardest part of the job would be time management and prioritizing needs and decisions. When working in such a fast paced environment, especially a restaurant, slow business can polarize in the blink of an eye. You need to be always on your feet, and when it goes down, you have to be able to clear your thoughts and focus on what needs to be accomplished and the most efficient way to carry out the task.
The most enjoyable part of my job would have to be split into two answers. I love being able to wow my guests and see the smile on their faces as they walk out the door, making sure to shake my hand before they leave. As a leader, there is no greater feeling on this earth than being delegated a certain responsibility involving inspiring teamwork and a will to succeed in my coworkers and ending the night with a job well done. The knowledge that I was given a task and successfully carried it out without requiring additional assistance from the management, leaving them to spend the shift working on other things, and with no guest leaving unsatisfied is the ultimate feeling of accomplishment. – less
Good store to work for in general
Prep Cook (Former Employee), Wyomissing, PANovember 14, 2014
Pros: empoyee recognition and picnics
Cons: short or no breaks at times (because of rush periods understandable) some other employees/managers
I enjoyed working for Olive Garden as well as it's employees. I was well liked and also liked the management. I did my job to the best of my abilities and had a positive attitude. I recieved high marks on my evaluations and was recognized for my attendance. I always enjoyed our company picnics.
hardest job I've ever had
Server (Current Employee), San Luis Obispo, CANovember 13, 2014
hard to make a living there. only wait on 3 tables at a time if you're lucky. Management chronically overstaffs the waitstaff so it's hard to make any monies there.
horrible general management
Server (Former Employee), MarylandNovember 12, 2014
I worked with the company for almost 2 years, the general manger with this company would belittle the females and get away with it and the other managers were aware along with the male coworkers. When standing up to him you would quickly lose your job. I enjoyed my position as server and the coworkers however corporate should pay more attention to whose – more... running their restaurants – less

About Olive Garden

Olive Garden is the leading restaurant in the Italian dining segment, with 469 restaurants, more than 56,000 employees and $1.6 – Read more