1,840 reviews

Olive Garden Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Physically Demanding With Horrible Pay
Server (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 9, 2014
Pros: people
Cons: long hours, low pay, bad management
The only thing good about working here were the people. There is no room for advancement and the pay isn't worth staying. They over work you (10+ hours a day) and don't give breaks.
Productive workplace but needs help
Hostess (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 22, 2014
Pros: discounted meals and benefits after 6 months
Cons: short hours, terrible management, etc
Once i enter the restaurant i make sure we have enough cutlery for the day, our menus are clean and ready, and that we have enough servers to start taking tables for the morning.
I learned that being in this type of work or anywhere, you have to know how to handle a rude customer and have great problem solving skills.
Management at the Olive Garden – more... is terrible, you have that one manager that is on top of everything and others that slack on their job and treat selected few employees poorly.
Co-workers are amazing, great energy, great attitude and overall do their job as told with great communication skills. Its fun working with people there, you feel open to talk to them. They are mostly a younger crowd but they're awesome people.
The hardest part of the job is the fact we had so many amazing mangers quit the job and a lot of rules changed. Its so hard to keep up with the constant change, its unstable,confusing, and unorganized.
The most enjoyable part about the job is dealing with customers, you have good and bad customers sometimes but a friendly smile and nice families can brighten up anyone's day. – less
Fun
Line Cook (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 13, 2014
Pros: cheap food
Cons: not enough hours
You work under alot of pressure but it makes you a better worker.
It's alright
Hostess (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: 50% off food when working
Cons: long hours
Looking for lots of hours, good pay but no social life or chance to explain yourself when you've 'done something wrong'? Work here
Well earned Salary
Busser (Former Employee), Winnipeg MBJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: mingle with customers, earned pay, awesome staff
Cons: managment
Bussing duty's consist of cleaning tables, assisting in dish pit if they needed, and making the restaurant clean when they close.
It is a good place to work you will get lots of hours the pay is great and you can mingle with the customers and have a conversation with them.
Management was all a mystery, Always a rumor going around about a manager being – more... fired or quitting. I have seen a few managers come and go from the time I worked there, Other wise you will always meet co-workers that will and like to take time to get to chat and laugh and have a good time at work – less
fun job.
Server (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: 50% off food
Cons: unlimited inexpensive lunches.
Fun job, good people. We had a fun group, but eventually one by one, we all started leaving. At a place like this, it's all about who you work well with.
Server (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 13, 2013
Shifts were average length. I learned a lot in product knowledge. Most of the managers were excellent (especially our General Manager at my time of employment) co-workers were great!
hardest part of the job were unrealistic guests. Most enjoyable part would be the industry itself and other serving staff.
False Employment Offers!
Bartender (Former Employee), Langley BCDecember 11, 2012
Pros: nothing
Cons: management
This company constantly places Ads for Bartenders.
They will even setup an interview and then inform you that they don't hire Bartenders but only promote from the floor.
Then they offer a Servers job.
If you are a professional Bartender don't answer the phone.
Don't waste your time.
In need of better management
Server (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 17, 2012
At the time I worked there it was a stressful and aggravating place to work. With a proper management team in place it would be a great place to work. A good server can make a lot of money here.
It was a very fun job with lots of opportunity and lots of hours.
Certified Culinary Trainer, Line Cook, Prep Cook (Former Employee), Winnipeg,MBApril 27, 2012
Pros: fun people to work with, lots to learn
Cons: very busy, stressful, sometimes very long tiring hours.
I honestly loved this job worked with some good people, made lots of friends and tons of money. There were good benefits and they helped you out as much as they could even when it had nothing to do with them I have nothing but love and respect for the people and the company.
Fun workplace
Hostess (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 19, 2012
The managment at this job was great. I never had issues with any of my managers. My co-workers were always great to have around they made my shifts fly by. Most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with the customers and seeing them leave satisfied after great service and food.
Oversaw culinary team and food cost
Service Manager (Former Employee), Bolingbrook, ILNovember 23, 2014
Scheduling culinary team members and conducting new roll outs with each and every team member. Maintaining labor and food cost. The hardest part was doing the truck order twice a week and maintaining days on hand. Working one on one with team members and guests.
Typical fast pace weekends
Hostess (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 23, 2014
Pros: i love keeping busy and gaining managers trust.
Cons: nothing work becomes my life.
I arrive at work an hour before open to take down the closed sign, clean all windows, make kids menus with crayons inside, sweep the lobby, wipe down menus and making sure all are presentable and throw the ugly ones away.
From the first customer walking in at 11:00 am till about 3:00 pm I'm non stop swamped with seating guests, taking down names for – more... big parties on a wait. Then figuring out the quickest way to seat them predicting which tables next to each other have been their the longest and will get up first to put tables together for larger parties.
We run out of baskets of silverware quickly up front so when about to run out I run to the back of kitchen to grab a couple baskets to last awhile.
If any servers need help bringing out food or need help with refills I make an effort to quickly do that then run back to the front.
We run out of bread often as well so if needed ill make enough bread to last at least 30 min for all servers to share.
For the soups every now and then we run out of an ingredient and the managers will send me to the store with money to get a certain amount to last the rest of the day.
If we run out of change to give servers and receive to many big bills managers will send me to the bank to go get more change.
Then when it slows back down I help the bussers take dishes to the back for easier clean up. Then at the host stand I'll refill toothpicks organize the lobby, roll extra silverware, clean and restock bathrooms, and fix menus.
If managers are busy I take over the front and help give oncoming servers their sections for the day and clock them in if they're late.
I normally skip my breaks and before my shift ends I make sure its calm before I leave so none of the other hosts are in a hectic situation, so I help as much as possible. – less
Productive workplace that provides an excellent dining experience
Hospitality Specialist (Former Employee), Florence, SCNovember 22, 2014
I provided excellent customer service by providing hospitality and overseeing all restaurant activities in the dining area. Management was very helpful from the dining area to the kitchen. Employees successfully cooperated in order to obtain the overall goal of excellent customer satisfaction.
The Best
Line cook, all stations (Former Employee), Newport News, VANovember 21, 2014
Love the job and learned a lot about the industry. Darden restaurants is a great company. Great co workers excellent management team.
fun but stressful at times
Certified Trainer/DMO (Former Employee), Colonie, NYNovember 20, 2014
Pros: fun environment
Cons: no breaks unless you work double shifts
can be a nice place to work but the people who work at these establishments can make or break your job security I enjoyed working for them the hardest part of the job is getting others to work together along with you without differences
fun but stressful at times
Certified Trainer/DMO (Former Employee), Colonie, NYNovember 20, 2014
Pros: fun environment
Cons: no breaks unless you work double shifts
fun work place
Host (Former Employee), Paramus, NJNovember 20, 2014
I learned more about costumer service. IT WAS GOOD working at Oliver Gargen
Busser (Former Employee), Joplin, MONovember 20, 2014
Pros: easy to understand job, salary, competitive, management
Cons: unity, busy, stressful
Olive Garden was busy and still is very busy. Working with a variety of people that will have pressures of the job. It became very stressful but was worth while with the amount of pay. Most of the people love it there because of the potential that can be made through just being a waiter, but I had a steady Busser job. I enjoyed not having to be as stressed – more... as others but did not enjoy the lack of unity from the whole staff. – less
Busy, busy, busy all the time
Server / Expo / Food Runner (Former Employee), Middleburg Heights, OHNovember 19, 2014
Pros: it was a workout and i made friends.
Cons: wrapping pallets by hand
A typical day at work would start with me and 18-24 other guys laying down pallets in preparation for a split. By split I mean taking the contents of a trailer that has been put on the dock and sorting them to pallets labeled by store number. Each store would get a specific number of boxes from each trailer. These pallets would then get sent out to – more... those stores. A typical split would take 6-8 hours and when we were done we'd drive either pallet jacks or tow motors and place the pallets in the aisle they belonged in. Management was always concerned for our safety and made sure everything got done on time. My co-workers weren't quite as motivated as me in getting everything done because I looked at it as a workout as well as a job. The hardest part of the job would be wrapping the pallets by hand. They'd sometimes be 10 feet high. The most enjoyable part would be the workout. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Olive Garden

Olive Garden is the leading restaurant in the Italian dining segment, with 469 restaurants, more than 56,000 employees and $1.6 – Read more