Olive Garden Employee Reviews

Okay place
TO GO Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2017
The management team isn't the greatest. One manager said another thing, another said another thing. At first I enjoyed it, but employees would take advantage and the management team didn't care nor attempt to do anything about it.
Pros
$1.05 soup
Cons
Long hours, barely days off
Good, family friendly environment
Hostess/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 November 2016
I loved the hours. Getting to wake up at 8am, having a good breakfast, a nice jog to the station, and still making it to work on time at 11. Frequently id work until 4pm, and those were my favorite shifts. I learned plenty from cutlery, to greeting guests. Management was ran by 5 managers, 2 of them I actually enjoyed being around.. they were friendly. co workers were nice. hardest part was having to stay longer because my coworkers didn't do their jobs so then I would have to fill in because I don't like when things aren't done.
Not flexible on hours have to be committed 24/7
worker (Current Employee) –  Regent Winnipg MB9 January 2017
If you have a life out side of work, do not apply at Olive Garden. They want you to be available for them at all times even if you only get 15 hours a week. Do not book any time off, not flexible for employees at all. Management expects you to revolve your life around OG.
It is a busy restaurant, most of workers are great, management are not good at all.
The job is relatively easy but have to be able to handle busy times.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Management and not flexible with hours
Very Busy Environment
Culinary Manager & LBO/Training Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 September 2016
No stability, or consistency with management, extremely high turnover.
Managers rarely on the same page,
allot of verbal abuse and screaming happens here, and apparently is acceptable by head office, your GM your managers your Director.
Pros
Management eats free
Cons
Everything else
Fast paced place to work with great management
Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 September 2016
Very fast paced place to work with professional management and excellent training. Team driven and family orientated environment with great staff discounts.
Pros
Great discounts on food
Cons
Sometimes barely any hours
Average Place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 June 2016
Always scheduled me to work weekend nights when they hired me to work morning shifts. Working was okay. People were decently nice but servers nagged the hosts for tables. On the other hand, I did really enjoy that I was always busy so time went by quicker.
Pros
Discounted meals, and next to free lunches during shift.
Cons
Not flexible and management changed a lot in the few months I was there, so it felt like I was always adjusting to new rules.
It's a decent job overall, if you dont mind working variations of times
host and togo (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB Canada14 September 2015
It's a decent job overall, if you dont mind working variations of times.
I've stayed in this job for over 5 years, and you have your slackers and people who work harder, so come prepared not to expect much and you dont get to disappointed when they promise you something and don't get it. good job for school for the most part they try to accommdate to your school schedule. But that's also the down side when there are to many students some will have to work even harder and don't get a break.
Pros
discounted meals on and off work, benefits after working for 6 months 20hrs and up
Cons
Management changes alot so you have to get use to different rules all the time, not alot of room for mistakes in certain positions
Horrible management
Dish Machine Opporator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2016
Constant work and fast paced while your managers yell at you and violate your rights under labor standards. Then should you bring it up they flat out laugh to your face and then give you faulty contact info for there human resources.
Pros
Cons
Treated less then human
Good environment
Server Trainer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 February 2017
This was a great place to work to have a later start time and get my kids to school. The staff was great and friendly. The regular customers always brightened my day. Every shift was different so the job kept you on your toes!
There is Job security but very hard to receive advancement in work .
Server (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC16 April 2016
Manager did their best to provide job security, constantly giving us feedback and things to work on but it became very repetitive. That to me meant that the way they tried to keep us motivated and improve wasn't working. Something kept some of the employees from being happy and productive. There are some positives though: there is a reward system where if an employees does well they get a chocolate bar or candy from a little treasure box in the office. The other is that you can ask for help and there will always be someone there to help.
Its a good place and busy
Hostess, Server, To-Go Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 February 2017
Very busy place and fun place to work. People are amazing and you fall in love with them. I learned a lot people skills and more friendly and open. Helped me to not be so shy.
Excellent place to work at
Host (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC27 January 2017
-excellent growing opportunities
-every day at work was fun
-managers were ready to guide you and provide you with all the help you need
-nice team members
Production cook
Production Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2015
The production area of the Olive Garden is a mad house. There were usually 3 of us and there was way too much work for the people there. Some days you had to stay 10 or more hours to get your lists done.

Management didn't give you the help you needed on the weekends so my last shift there was 14 hours, that was when I decided that this job was way too much for me.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
long hours and no help
The best company I have ever worked with
Restaurant Manager/Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB and California US19 March 2016
Company operating principle:
Treat people with respect and dignity
Listen to the opinions of the people who are closest to the action.
Take pride in what you are doing.
Within two years of joining the company I became the Kitchen Manager and then within six month my Kitchen was certified store kitchen for training in my region. I worked with them in Edmonton and then in California
Pros
You can make an impact on stores profitability and your bonus
Cons
You have to prove yourselves
Productive and fun environment.
Server/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 December 2015
.Great place to work, great food, great managers, down to earth and friendly people, employees and management. Half price meals when working a fulltime shift, discounted food the rest of the time.Weekly cheques are a refreshing change frome bi-weekley in the service industry, tips are consistantley good.
Pros
half price meal for a ft shift, discounted food the rest of the time.
Cons
split shifts, work 3 hours than break 3 hours, then come back for the rest of the day till close.
Well earned Salary
Busser (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg MB27 January 2014
Bussing duty's consist of cleaning tables, assisting in dish pit if they needed, and making the restaurant clean when they close.
It is a good place to work you will get lots of hours the pay is great and you can mingle with the customers and have a conversation with them.
Management was all a mystery, Always a rumor going around about a manager being fired or quitting. I have seen a few managers come and go from the time I worked there, Other wise you will always meet co-workers that will and like to take time to get to chat and laugh and have a good time at work
Pros
Mingle with customers, Earned pay, Awesome staff
Cons
Managment
Amazing work entourage with great management and co-workers
Busser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 December 2014
Olive Garden taught me manners and how to work fast and get the job done properly. The management made sure everyone was always on task. I'd say I had the best co-workers because they are always willing to help and teach the ones with lower knowledge. Olive Garden was never a hard job, it only gets tough when it comes to weekends or special events but I honestly loved working there because they make you feel like you are a part of a family and that makes the job more fun and enjoyable.
Pros
Th chemistry at work
Cons
Long hours with a short break
Physically Demanding With Horrible Pay
Server (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2014
The only thing good about working here were the people. There is no room for advancement and the pay isn't worth staying. They over work you (10+ hours a day) and don't give breaks.
Pros
People
Cons
Long hours, low pay, bad management
Productive workplace but needs help
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 April 2014
Once i enter the restaurant i make sure we have enough cutlery for the day, our menus are clean and ready, and that we have enough servers to start taking tables for the morning.
I learned that being in this type of work or anywhere, you have to know how to handle a rude customer and have great problem solving skills.
Management at the Olive Garden is terrible, you have that one manager that is on top of everything and others that slack on their job and treat selected few employees poorly.
Co-workers are amazing, great energy, great attitude and overall do their job as told with great communication skills. Its fun working with people there, you feel open to talk to them. They are mostly a younger crowd but they're awesome people.
The hardest part of the job is the fact we had so many amazing mangers quit the job and a lot of rules changed. Its so hard to keep up with the constant change, its unstable,confusing, and unorganized.
The most enjoyable part about the job is dealing with customers, you have good and bad customers sometimes but a friendly smile and nice families can brighten up anyone's day.
Pros
discounted meals and benefits after 6 months
Cons
short hours, terrible management, etc
Great People to work with
To-go (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 March 2015
Come in to smile's and sleepy eyes. opening the store and making sure everything clean and ready and fully stocked. Gets busy and help as much people as I could so they wouldn't break down and keep smiles on. Customers are sometimes hard but every job is like that. The management always knew what to say and what to do when things went wrong or sideways. They looked like it was a mess but once you were use to everything you saw the system and how it works very smoothly
Pros
Great tips
Cons
very different from one week to the next

Olive Garden Reviews by Location