OLG

OLG Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun job with odd hours.
Table Games Dealer (Current Employee), Thousand Islands CasinoJune 29, 2015
Pros: Breaks every hour
Cons: Odd hours
OLG is an employer that deeply cares about their employees health and wellbeing. The Table Games department is a lot of fun to work in the majority of the time. The downfalls of the job are that room for growth is ultimately pretty difficult, patrons are at time very harsh, and there is no regular shift in a casino.
I love this job!!
Cage and Coin Cashier (Current Employee), Dresden, ONJune 22, 2015
Pros: Co-workers, supervisors and atmosphere.
Cons: Very difficult to get full time.
I enjoy going to work. In my position, there is always a task to do, which makes your shift fly by. The people I work with are great. Everyone is always willing to help in any way possible if you are unsure of a procedure or a task that you may have been given.
Loved my job
Security Officer (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONJune 10, 2015
Pros: good wages, good benifits, Paid vacations
Cons: inconsistance rules
I was EMT
I was on the marketing innovations committee
I was a founding member of the social committee
I was on the opex Team
OLG
Surveillance Supervisor (Current Employee), BrantfordJune 5, 2015
The company has put us on a 7 year wage freeze. There is currently no end in sight to this wage freeze. Very little advancement in the company, seems you have to know the right person.
OLG Review
Senior Slot Technician (Current Employee), Burlington, ONMay 13, 2015
Working for the OLG is not a bad thing. Lots of hours and room to grow and gain experience. The pay is good and you get lots of benefits as well as paid vacation time and sick leave. I have enjoyed my time with OLG but am ready for a life style change. Shift work is hard to get used to and can become difficult on your social and family life.
Great experience
Call Center Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 21, 2015
Overall love this organization and it's dynamic but very little room to grow. And even less room for job security. The environment is laid back and everyone is easy to talk to. It is 24/7 so your changes in shift happen way to often so it's hard to have a solid routine for personal and business life.
fun place to work at
Count Attendant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great pay
Cons: early mornings
I really enjoy my job as a Count Attendant and I have learned a great deal about the gaming world.
My day typically starts at 4am and it ends around 2:30pm.
I have great co-workers who work along side me.
I deal with a great deal of uncounted money on a daily basis so alot of trust is given to me and my team.
Seek Employment Elsewhere
Security Officer (Former Employee), EloraJuly 28, 2014
Pros: pension
Cons: management, schedule, culture ect
-No work/life balance
-They WILL NOT accommodate your other job
-Wage has been frozen for the last 5 years/not management's though
-Reviews aren't tied to wage increases (see last comment)
-Expected to stay later on moments notice
-OPP does credit check regardless of the position you apply for
-Human Resources is there for the Management Team, not you.
-Call in sick? Doctors note, every time.
-Snow storm & roads closed? You MUST find a way in.
-Open 24/7, 364 days a year. (Closed X-Mas)
-No shift premium for working nights
-Management will routinely monitor social media to ensure that you aren't speaking about company or doing anything that could cause them embarrassment

Do yourself a favour and avoid this bureaucratic nightmare of an employer. It looks good on paper but it's a dull, depressing environment filled with bitter people. (Staff & Patrons) There are better jobs out there with a fraction of the corporate nonsense this employer has. Don't sell yourself short.
Exciting environment to be in
GAMES DEALER (Former Employee), GananoqueMarch 31, 2014
A lot of fun to do, a lot of mistakes can be made if not careful, lots of different kind of people are met, co workers were super great people, i was the youngest ever hired there at 18 years old! The only part i wasn't a fan of was being inside all day, i like seeing the outdoors, im a country boy at heart!
Environment looks great (woodbine Location)
Slot Technician (Former Employee), WoodbineMarch 22, 2014
Pros: clean place
Cons: bad management
The day was hired as part time.( Slot Technician) I went to pick up my Gaming License which I paid out my pocket($165 Dollars). The person in charge to handle the Gaming License told me. It is good for 5 years. I hope you last that long. That was 1st bad impression.
The same day at night time I saw on the news that they laid off the full timer. 2nd bad impression.
On the contract they never told me when it will be the starting date.I waited 3 weeks from the Management for a start date. I want to let know my old workplace 2 weeks in advance as indicated by law I was going to quit. I never say anything on my old workplaced and when OLG told me to start on Monday of the week. I was still employed so I call them and explain the situation to them. That I had a conflict of schedules If they can switch me after my work hours to work for them .They left me wating on the phone for 15 minutes because they said they were going to talk to somebody. I hang up and the next day I had call from HR explaning that my availability changed which I only had 2 options submit to the schedule from them or resigned. I told her I am going to refuse your offer of empoyment and then she said since you never work a day for us we are not going to refund you the $ 165 Dollars and to make things easy on my end .Could write me a letter saying that you are resigning.

How I am supposed to resigned If I never work a day.? As a gesture of good heart for the HR person at the moment in time after 48 Hrs I send her an e-mail stating I was refusing their job offer. at the end I lost $ 165 Dollars for this little adventure to be employed for the OLG.
Shiftwork is not fun here (only 10hrs between shifts)
Permanent Full Time Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee), AjaxFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits, great coworkers
Cons: shift work, poor work/life balance, rigid policies
The Ajax location is very busy which is nice for those who like to work in a fast paced environment.
Your fellow front line team members are amazing.
They have an excellent benefits package.

However, part-time employees are expected to work up to 40hrs a week as business demands it (usually 6months of the year or more).
It is difficult to move up within this company because management plays favourites and hires their friends from other departments and locations.
OLG policy is very strict so be prepared to face some of the most ridiculous and non-sensical rules.
The most difficult part of the job are the hours. It is shift work, so you work a combination of days, evenings, and overnights. Legally, they only have to give you 10hrs between scheduled shifts and they OFTEN do this.

It is a mindless job that pays well.
Fun place to work
Cage ad Coin Cashier (Current Employee), Woodbine CasinoOctober 23, 2013
Good
Lots to do
people are great
patrons are the best
Learned to count money
the hardest part of the job is balancing at the end of your shift
fun
Cage and Coin Cashier (Former Employee), Brantford, ONSeptember 5, 2013
hard to work around the casino hours
very fun to work environment
Great people
Shipping and Data Entry (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 29, 2013
Pros: good shifts
Cons: only get paid for 7.15 when you work at 8.
- Contract workers are really supportive and help settle a new person in
- Didn't learn much as it was general labour
- Co-workers - There are basically two teams one from the agency and the permanent people.
- People tend not to help each other out
Great Place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Sault Ste MarieMarch 12, 2013
Pros: compressed work week
Cons: auditors are demanding
A typical day at work for me involves lots of computer work and phone calls, while I manage the organizational components of the internal audit department.
Co-workers are lovely, dedicated employees.
The hardest part of the job is working for auditors.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction I get from accomplishing a particularly tricky piece of work.
not a place i would work again
cage and coin cashier (Former Employee), thousand islandsJuly 26, 2012
Pros: wages is the only thing i can think of
Cons: everything else management is all about stabbing each other in the back to get ahead
i worked for the company for 4 years in the cage and coin dept of thousand islands,,,my experience was not a great one , i was written up for to many days missed when my dad passed away and also when my mother passed two years later i was called by my family to go home because she didnt have much time left and i was asked by my superiors if i had any vacation left...what the heck my mother was dying,,,,,,i did not care about VACATION TIME.......they try and stress how very family oriented they are but let me tell you how much they are not...i quit after i came back from my mothers funeral.........the only good thing about the job was the money bottom line but in my experience life is not always about the money ,,i performed my job to the best of my ablility and never had shortages ,,,,but was not treated very well so in my opinion i would never work for them again
Great place to work, wonderful management team
Departmental Assistant (Former Employee), Campbellville, ONJune 25, 2012
Pros: flexibility and compensation
Cons: not always enough work to do
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the OLG, and it was a difficult decision to leave. I prefer to keep busy when I'm working, and sometimes this proved to be extremely challenging. However, I was able to offer my time to other departments. My direct manager was a fantastic person to work for. Very flexible, reasonable, and kind.
Benefits and Salary great, Gaming Side leave alot to be desired
Senior Slot Technician / Slot Technician (Current Employee), Brantford , ONMay 26, 2012
Pros: tips-if permissible, wages, benefits, co-workers, lieu days- if full time, paid vacation days - if full time
Cons: no tips- due to position, management, stagnant work environment, 24/7 operation.
Management seems to have a double standard.Extra breaks and bending rules are the norm for them. Writing you up for something they do on a regular basis is a favorite pass time for them. Ordering the hourly staff around instead of saying please is yet another quality management trait. The VP of gaming when asked about how employees not being allowed to play any lotteries was affecting the numbers, simply stated - " I don't care, it doesn't affect my incentive".

If you don't mind crazy hours, odd shifts, feeling un-appreciated by both patrons and management, Working weekends, Working Holidays, hearing daily stories about - rigged machines - and loosing ones shirt, OLG casinos and Racetracks are exactly what you want to strive for.

Work / life balance is almost non existent.
Advancement only applies if you leave your site, and or are buddies with management ( take smoke breaks with them, and hang out)

Extra training and career building was/is non existent.
If you ask about further training or what you should take to gain advancement, they may get back to you in 72 hours.

Wages are great, benefits are good too. Incentive is a buzz word.

I can't say enough nice things about OLG.

About OLG

The OLGC, an arms-length government agency, is mandated to deliver socially responsible gaming entertainment and economic benefits – Read more