OLG Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Management is a joke
Cook (Former Employee), London, ONApril 30, 2016
Cons: 10 hour turnarounds frequently, no reward for job well done, management picks favourites, soulcrushing hours for part time
This was the worst place ive ever worked. Management is absolutely clueless to the way things get done. They seem to reward laziness and ignore hard workers. This place is an alright paycheque as long as you dont mind soulcrushing hours as a part time worker and borderline unethical treatment. Be prepared to have 85% or more of your day off requests denied. And to be treated as a utensil. London site restaurant has dated and dangerous equipment in some cases. Would advise a normal job with less pay.
Shift work difficult
Locked out worker (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 28, 2016
Be careful to make sure job posting is not for a replacement worker at a casino with locked out employees- scab jobs are usually difficult and without long term prospects.
Couldn't pick a worse place to work
Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 18, 2016
Pros: Benefits and some of the customers are great
Cons: Management, Salary
Do yourself a favour and do not work here, senior management is constantly changing and practically zero room for advancement.
Casino, Head Office, Prize Centre all the same..

Terrible management, HR only looks out for company
Terrible place to work
supervisor manager (Current Employee), Dresden, ONJanuary 16, 2016
Pros: Cannot even get beverage for free, food not good, no pros
Cons: Rotten shifts based on who you are
Terrible place to work, people are horrible, customer service lacks personality, swearing from employees on floor, not consistent for discipline. Management sad sad sad lack any real knowledge, better bend over backwards to management, keep bad employees get rid of the good. I have been there through 6 managers last woman really bad just looking for date present one second time back no better than first time.
great money...great benefits,...no social life, as you will be scheduled every weekend!!!
cage/ coin (Former Employee), Woodstock, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Pros: pay, benefits
Cons: miserable hours, and virtually one weekend off every 6-8 months
I met some great people at OLG. The money and benefits were great.

however,....expect to work every weekend!....I was given one weekend off in approx. 7 months. Preference is given to full time staff. And its very difficult to become full time.

You are hired on a contract basis...and then if a position becomes available during your contract, you can apply for permanent part time.

Also....its the most regulated job you will ever have in your life.....
There is no room for error.
Good company to work
Senior QA Consultant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 3, 2015
Good company to work. Job Work and Life balance is amazed. Salary and compensation is great. Team is great, co-operative and helpful.
Overall Good company to work for
Player Services (Current Employee), Flamborough, ONNovember 2, 2015
Pros: Salary, Management, Advancement
Cons: Work/Life Balance, Hours
I have not been at the company long but as with every job there are parts you like and parts you wish were different. I am really enjoying the management and communication between all departments.
However, the work/life balance is tough because your shift preference is not taken into account because it is a 24 hour business.
typical day at work
Caino Dealer (Former Employee), BrantofrdSeptember 30, 2015
Pros: allowed me to buy a house
Cons: unions and OLg not allowing me to work due to contract negotiations
I was working the night shift from 21:00 hours to 05:30 hours
the atmosphere in ht e casino is different from any other job
you have a variety of multiple cultures and languages spoken.
You become aware when the customers is upset or excited when doing your job
I enjoy customers that are older, I tend to have an older soul, and enjoy chatting and hearing stories from them and explaining my day; whether it was out in the garden , canning something new or out in the park with the dog. with the younger generation I can barely understand them and I find that they tend to curse and not form a normal sentence
Fun job with odd hours.
Table Games Dealer (Current Employee), Thousand Islands CasinoJune 29, 2015
Pros: Breaks every hour
Cons: Odd hours
OLG is an employer that deeply cares about their employees health and wellbeing. The Table Games department is a lot of fun to work in the majority of the time. The downfalls of the job are that room for growth is ultimately pretty difficult, patrons are at time very harsh, and there is no regular shift in a casino.
I love this job!!
Cage and Coin Cashier (Current Employee), Dresden, ONJune 22, 2015
Pros: Co-workers, supervisors and atmosphere.
Cons: Very difficult to get full time.
I enjoy going to work. In my position, there is always a task to do, which makes your shift fly by. The people I work with are great. Everyone is always willing to help in any way possible if you are unsure of a procedure or a task that you may have been given.
Loved my job
Security Officer (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONJune 10, 2015
Pros: good wages, good benifits, Paid vacations
Cons: inconsistance rules
I was EMT
I was on the marketing innovations committee
I was a founding member of the social committee
I was on the opex Team
OLG
Surveillance Supervisor (Current Employee), BrantfordJune 5, 2015
The company has put us on a 7 year wage freeze. There is currently no end in sight to this wage freeze. Very little advancement in the company, seems you have to know the right person.
OLG Review
Senior Slot Technician (Current Employee), Burlington, ONMay 13, 2015
Working for the OLG is not a bad thing. Lots of hours and room to grow and gain experience. The pay is good and you get lots of benefits as well as paid vacation time and sick leave. I have enjoyed my time with OLG but am ready for a life style change. Shift work is hard to get used to and can become difficult on your social and family life.
Great experience
Call Center Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 21, 2015
Overall love this organization and it's dynamic but very little room to grow. And even less room for job security. The environment is laid back and everyone is easy to talk to. It is 24/7 so your changes in shift happen way to often so it's hard to have a solid routine for personal and business life.
fun place to work at
Count Attendant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: great pay
Cons: early mornings
I really enjoy my job as a Count Attendant and I have learned a great deal about the gaming world.
My day typically starts at 4am and it ends around 2:30pm.
I have great co-workers who work along side me.
I deal with a great deal of uncounted money on a daily basis so alot of trust is given to me and my team.
Seek Employment Elsewhere
Security Officer (Former Employee), EloraJuly 28, 2014
Pros: pension
Cons: management, schedule, culture ect
-No work/life balance
-They WILL NOT accommodate your other job
-Wage has been frozen for the last 5 years/not management's though
-Reviews aren't tied to wage increases (see last comment)
-Expected to stay later on moments notice
-OPP does credit check regardless of the position you apply for
-Human Resources is there for the Management Team, not you.
-Call in sick? Doctors note, every time.
-Snow storm & roads closed? You MUST find a way in.
-Open 24/7, 364 days a year. (Closed X-Mas)
-No shift premium for working nights
-Management will routinely monitor social media to ensure that you aren't speaking about company or doing anything that could cause them embarrassment

Do yourself a favour and avoid this bureaucratic nightmare of an employer. It looks good on paper but it's a dull, depressing environment filled with bitter people. (Staff & Patrons) There are better jobs out there with a fraction of the corporate nonsense this employer has. Don't sell yourself short.
Great pay but thats it...
Player Services Rep (Former Employee), PeterboroughApril 4, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits, pension
Cons: no life, work every weekend & holiday, rules & policies are ridiculous, everything else
If you want a place with great pay then this is the place for you however if you want to work every weekend, holiday, and be used for everything you are...by all means OLG is for you! Work/life balance is non existent....policies are completely backwards, management is for management and front line are just pawns they boss around. The only way you will ever be promoted is you you kiss butt and become "buddies" with management. If you want to feel like you are in high school again with all the drama and people backstabbing you...also a thing OLG I have noticed is full of. Very disorganized, have the wrong people working in the wrong positions. The people on the same level of job you are are great! As long as management gets what they want...thats all that matters....
Exciting environment to be in
GAMES DEALER (Former Employee), GananoqueMarch 31, 2014
A lot of fun to do, a lot of mistakes can be made if not careful, lots of different kind of people are met, co workers were super great people, i was the youngest ever hired there at 18 years old! The only part i wasn't a fan of was being inside all day, i like seeing the outdoors, im a country boy at heart!
Environment looks great (woodbine Location)
Slot Technician (Former Employee), WoodbineMarch 22, 2014
Pros: clean place
Cons: bad management
The day was hired as part time.( Slot Technician) I went to pick up my Gaming License which I paid out my pocket($165 Dollars). The person in charge to handle the Gaming License told me. It is good for 5 years. I hope you last that long. That was 1st bad impression.
The same day at night time I saw on the news that they laid off the full timer. 2nd bad impression.
On the contract they never told me when it will be the starting date.I waited 3 weeks from the Management for a start date. I want to let know my old workplace 2 weeks in advance as indicated by law I was going to quit. I never say anything on my old workplaced and when OLG told me to start on Monday of the week. I was still employed so I call them and explain the situation to them. That I had a conflict of schedules If they can switch me after my work hours to work for them .They left me wating on the phone for 15 minutes because they said they were going to talk to somebody. I hang up and the next day I had call from HR explaning that my availability changed which I only had 2 options submit to the schedule from them or resigned. I told her I am going to refuse your offer of empoyment and then she said since you never work a day for us we are not going to refund you the $ 165 Dollars and to make things easy on my end .Could write me a letter saying that you are resigning.

How I am supposed to resigned If I never work a day.? As a gesture of good heart for the HR person at the moment in time after 48 Hrs I send her an e-mail stating I was refusing their job offer. at the end I lost $ 165 Dollars for this little adventure – more... to be employed for the OLG. – less
Shiftwork is not fun here (only 10hrs between shifts)
Permanent Full Time Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee), AjaxFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits, great coworkers
Cons: shift work, poor work/life balance, rigid policies
The Ajax location is very busy which is nice for those who like to work in a fast paced environment.
Your fellow front line team members are amazing.
They have an excellent benefits package.

However, part-time employees are expected to work up to 40hrs a week as business demands it (usually 6months of the year or more).
It is difficult to move up within this company because management plays favourites and hires their friends from other departments and locations.
OLG policy is very strict so be prepared to face some of the most ridiculous and non-sensical rules.
The most difficult part of the job are the hours. It is shift work, so you work a combination of days, evenings, and overnights. Legally, they only have to give you 10hrs between scheduled shifts and they OFTEN do this.

It is a mindless job that pays well.
Headquarters