OLG Employee Reviews in Canada

great money...great benefits,...no social life, as you will be scheduled every weekend!!!
cage/ coin (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONJanuary 11, 2016
I met some great people at OLG. The money and benefits were great.

however,....expect to work every weekend!....I was given one weekend off in approx. 7 months. Preference is given to full time staff. And its very difficult to become full time.

You are hired on a contract basis...and then if a position becomes available during your contract, you can apply for permanent part time.

Also....its the most regulated job you will ever have in your life.....
There is no room for error.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
miserable hours, and virtually one weekend off every 6-8 months
Terrible place to work
supervisor manager (Current Employee) –  Dresden, ONJanuary 16, 2016
Terrible place to work, people are horrible, customer service lacks personality, swearing from employees on floor, not consistent for discipline. Management sad sad sad lack any real knowledge, better bend over backwards to management, keep bad employees get rid of the good. I have been there through 6 managers last woman really bad just looking for date present one second time back no better than first time.
Pros
Cannot even get beverage for free, food not good, no pros
Cons
Rotten shifts based on who you are
Management is a joke
Cook (Former Employee) –  London, ONApril 30, 2016
This was the worst place ive ever worked. Management is absolutely clueless to the way things get done. They seem to reward laziness and ignore hard workers. This place is an alright paycheque as long as you dont mind soulcrushing hours as a part time worker and borderline unethical treatment. Be prepared to have 85% or more of your day off requests denied. And to be treated as a utensil. London site restaurant has dated and dangerous equipment in some cases. Would advise a normal job with less pay.
Cons
10 hour turnarounds frequently, no reward for job well done, management picks favourites, soulcrushing hours for part time
typical day at work
Caino Dealer (Former Employee) –  BrantofrdSeptember 30, 2015
I was working the night shift from 21:00 hours to 05:30 hours
the atmosphere in ht e casino is different from any other job
you have a variety of multiple cultures and languages spoken.
You become aware when the customers is upset or excited when doing your job
I enjoy customers that are older, I tend to have an older soul, and enjoy chatting and hearing stories from them and explaining my day; whether it was out in the garden , canning something new or out in the park with the dog. with the younger generation I can barely understand them and I find that they tend to curse and not form a normal sentence
Pros
allowed me to buy a house
Cons
unions and OLg not allowing me to work due to contract negotiations
Good company to work
Senior QA Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 3, 2015
Good company to work. Job Work and Life balance is amazed. Salary and compensation is great. Team is great, co-operative and helpful.
Couldn't pick a worse place to work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 18, 2016
Do yourself a favour and do not work here, senior management is constantly changing and practically zero room for advancement.
Casino, Head Office, Prize Centre all the same..

Terrible management, HR only looks out for company
Pros
Benefits and some of the customers are great
Cons
Management, Salary
Excellent place to work
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
OLG is an excellent employer. They have great training programs and are very supportive of their employees. The only issue is that they are in the process of downsizing their corporate office and operations, so there will be less opportunity in the future.
Pros
training
Fun
Housekeeper/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Elora, ONMay 10, 2016
A typical day at work would be greeting OLG customers while undergoing heavy cleaning tasks. My co-workers were wonderful and hard working people. This was a very nice place to work. I liked it very much until I found a higher wage elsewhere.
Shift work difficult
Locked out worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 28, 2016
Be careful to make sure job posting is not for a replacement worker at a casino with locked out employees- scab jobs are usually difficult and without long term prospects.
Seek Employment Elsewhere
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  EloraJuly 28, 2014
-No work/life balance
-They WILL NOT accommodate your other job
-Wage has been frozen for the last 5 years/not management's though
-Reviews aren't tied to wage increases (see last comment)
-Expected to stay later on moments notice
-OPP does credit check regardless of the position you apply for
-Human Resources is there for the Management Team, not you.
-Call in sick? Doctors note, every time.
-Snow storm & roads closed? You MUST find a way in.
-Open 24/7, 364 days a year. (Closed X-Mas)
-No shift premium for working nights
-Management will routinely monitor social media to ensure that you aren't speaking about company or doing anything that could cause them embarrassment

Do yourself a favour and avoid this bureaucratic nightmare of an employer. It looks good on paper but it's a dull, depressing environment filled with bitter people. (Staff & Patrons) There are better jobs out there with a fraction of the corporate nonsense this employer has. Don't sell yourself short.
Pros
pension
Cons
management, schedule, culture ect
Great pay but thats it...
Player Services Rep (Former Employee) –  PeterboroughApril 4, 2014
If you want a place with great pay then this is the place for you however if you want to work every weekend, holiday, and be used for everything you are...by all means OLG is for you! Work/life balance is non existent....policies are completely backwards, management is for management and front line are just pawns they boss around. The only way you will ever be promoted is you you kiss butt and become "buddies" with management. If you want to feel like you are in high school again with all the drama and people backstabbing you...also a thing OLG I have noticed is full of. Very disorganized, have the wrong people working in the wrong positions. The people on the same level of job you are are great! As long as management gets what they want...thats all that matters....
Pros
pay, benefits, pension
Cons
no life, work every weekend & holiday, rules & policies are ridiculous, everything else
Shiftwork is not fun here (only 10hrs between shifts)
Permanent Full Time Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee) –  AjaxFebruary 28, 2014
The Ajax location is very busy which is nice for those who like to work in a fast paced environment.
Your fellow front line team members are amazing.
They have an excellent benefits package.

However, part-time employees are expected to work up to 40hrs a week as business demands it (usually 6months of the year or more).
It is difficult to move up within this company because management plays favourites and hires their friends from other departments and locations.
OLG policy is very strict so be prepared to face some of the most ridiculous and non-sensical rules.
The most difficult part of the job are the hours. It is shift work, so you work a combination of days, evenings, and overnights. Legally, they only have to give you 10hrs between scheduled shifts and they OFTEN do this.

It is a mindless job that pays well.
Pros
excellent benefits, great coworkers
Cons
shift work, poor work/life balance, rigid policies
OLG Review
Senior Slot Technician (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMay 13, 2015
Working for the OLG is not a bad thing. Lots of hours and room to grow and gain experience. The pay is good and you get lots of benefits as well as paid vacation time and sick leave. I have enjoyed my time with OLG but am ready for a life style change. Shift work is hard to get used to and can become difficult on your social and family life.
Great experience
Call Center Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 21, 2015
Overall love this organization and it's dynamic but very little room to grow. And even less room for job security. The environment is laid back and everyone is easy to talk to. It is 24/7 so your changes in shift happen way to often so it's hard to have a solid routine for personal and business life.
OLG
Surveillance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  BrantfordJune 5, 2015
The company has put us on a 7 year wage freeze. There is currently no end in sight to this wage freeze. Very little advancement in the company, seems you have to know the right person.
Loved my job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJune 10, 2015
I was EMT
I was on the marketing innovations committee
I was a founding member of the social committee
I was on the opex Team
Pros
good wages, good benifits, Paid vacations
Cons
inconsistance rules
Benefits and Salary great, Gaming Side leave alot to be desired
Senior Slot Technician / Slot Technician (Current Employee) –  Brantford , ONMay 26, 2012
Management seems to have a double standard.Extra breaks and bending rules are the norm for them. Writing you up for something they do on a regular basis is a favorite pass time for them. Ordering the hourly staff around instead of saying please is yet another quality management trait. The VP of gaming when asked about how employees not being allowed to play any lotteries was affecting the numbers, simply stated - " I don't care, it doesn't affect my incentive".

If you don't mind crazy hours, odd shifts, feeling un-appreciated by both patrons and management, Working weekends, Working Holidays, hearing daily stories about - rigged machines - and loosing ones shirt, OLG casinos and Racetracks are exactly what you want to strive for.

Work / life balance is almost non existent.
Advancement only applies if you leave your site, and or are buddies with management ( take smoke breaks with them, and hang out)

Extra training and career building was/is non existent.
If you ask about further training or what you should take to gain advancement, they may get back to you in 72 hours.

Wages are great, benefits are good too. Incentive is a buzz word.

I can't say enough nice things about OLG.
Pros
tips-if permissible, wages, benefits, co-workers, lieu days- if full time, paid vacation days - if full time
Cons
no tips- due to position, management, stagnant work environment, 24/7 operation.
Fun job with odd hours.
Table Games Dealer (Current Employee) –  Thousand Islands CasinoJune 29, 2015
OLG is an employer that deeply cares about their employees health and wellbeing. The Table Games department is a lot of fun to work in the majority of the time. The downfalls of the job are that room for growth is ultimately pretty difficult, patrons are at time very harsh, and there is no regular shift in a casino.
Pros
Breaks every hour
Cons
Odd hours
I love this job!!
Cage and Coin Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dresden, ONJune 22, 2015
I enjoy going to work. In my position, there is always a task to do, which makes your shift fly by. The people I work with are great. Everyone is always willing to help in any way possible if you are unsure of a procedure or a task that you may have been given.
Pros
Co-workers, supervisors and atmosphere.
Cons
Very difficult to get full time.
not a place i would work again
cage and coin cashier (Former Employee) –  thousand islandsJuly 26, 2012
i worked for the company for 4 years in the cage and coin dept of thousand islands,,,my experience was not a great one , i was written up for to many days missed when my dad passed away and also when my mother passed two years later i was called by my family to go home because she didnt have much time left and i was asked by my superiors if i had any vacation left...what the heck my mother was dying,,,,,,i did not care about VACATION TIME.......they try and stress how very family oriented they are but let me tell you how much they are not...i quit after i came back from my mothers funeral.........the only good thing about the job was the money bottom line but in my experience life is not always about the money ,,i performed my job to the best of my ablility and never had shortages ,,,,but was not treated very well so in my opinion i would never work for them again
Pros
wages is the only thing i can think of
Cons
everything else management is all about stabbing each other in the back to get ahead