OLDCASTLE BUILDING ENVELOPE

OLDCASTLE BUILDING ENVELOPE Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Enjoyable work environment
Auto Cutting Lead Hand (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONApril 30, 2013
Pros: free lunches, gift cards, friendly co-workers
Cons: long hours, heavy lifting, wages
The day begins by opening and starting the production line for my co-workers, as a review the production schudule and unload glass packs. Start the cutting line and reorganize the glass packs in order to have the schudule and cutting line run smoothly. I learn everyday more skills to make me a better worker in my field. My management is great and keeps – more... me satisified by encouraging my work load. My co-workers follow instructions and enjoy working along side of me. As a lead hand I enjoy having a great relationship with all my co-workers to established a great work environment. I have to say that at the end of the day, the heavy lifting is one of the hardest things of my job. I enjoy the co-workers and learning more and more everyday. I feel there is always room for improvement and growing. – less
A great place for learning and great people!
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 8, 2013
Pros: the environment and people
Cons: leaving
finding and handling products
interacting with consumers daily
some computer work
lifting of products from 75lbs and up
Great company for those who are willing
Glass Worker/Machine Operator/Lamination Worker (Current Employee), Grand Prairie, TXJune 3, 2014
Pros: over-time
Cons: unsatisfactory wage
A typical day starts at 6am and ends at 4pm or whenever the work is finished. There is much demand for product in Spring and Summer leading to long hours and over-time. In the Winter there is very little to do. The management is exceptional and the employees are hard workers. The atmosphere is that of an industrial warehouse and the heat is fairly extreme, – more... particularly during the summer. The work is simple minded but labor intensive. – less
Unfair treatment of new employees
material handler (Former Employee), Wright City, MOMay 21, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: fired for no reason
Let me start by saying, I loved this job. I loved the pay, the benefits, and the work itself. I was happy with it and hoped to stay, possibly for the rest of my life. Yet, I was forced to work side by side with a convicted chomo, who must have caught on to the fact that I was uncomfortable around him. I never treated him any different than my other – more... co-workers, and yet after I was suddenly fired for reasons that didn't add up, I heard through the grapevine that he was responsible for it. The bottom line is: I passed all the tests they gave me with flying colors, I never received even ONE write-up, and I was relocated to an even more dangerous area of the factory just one day before they let me go for "not catching on quick enough" and "not caring about safety". If these reasons were true, why did everyone on the floor tell me I was learning quickly, and why did they trust me with an even more dangerous part of the job right before this? Because the reasons they gave for firing me were all lies. What really happened is that ONE guy who is good friends with the boss decided he didn't want me there, because he's insecure about his own past and what he did to his own daughter. DO NOT apply here. There's no job security. I'm devastated. – less
Good starting point
Lead Technician (Former Employee), Terrell, TXMay 1, 2014
Good place to work if your just staring and want to learn but the only downfall I had was the pay after time you max out
Interesting place to work
Operator (Former Employee), Wright City, MOMarch 20, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: managment
The job was fun at first, great co workers. Management is a different story. They would change their minds in the middle of the day, and really don't care about the individual people. only the bottom line.
Great Job for Single Folk!
Lead Operator/Quality Assurance (Current Employee), Terrell, TXFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: high pay compared to other companies, great benefits, good supervisors, good crew..
Cons: uncertainty in job security, changing schedule, long hours, physically strenuous.
Oldcastle has good supervisors, lots of good people, and can be a great place to work. I have become proficient with many types of machinery and hand tools I hadn't used previously, and plan to take that with me to my next job.

They offer a much higher rate of starting pay than most companies of the same experience level (you are required to have almost – more... none when hired) and their benefits package is top of the line.

Unfortunately, in the construction and manufacturing environment, the biggest issue is often times job security. When a big job ends, there are usually layoffs until another big one is picked up. That's just how corporations operate.

The job offers plenty of hours, so the overtime is good if you are looking to make money, but it does eat considerably into family time, so that is something to consider. The schedule changes often as well.

It's a great place to start out getting your feet wet in the industry and learning some valuable skills, but I see it as a difficult place to make a long career if you are starting now. – less
Productive and a great job to advance.
Production Worker (Former Employee), Bensenville, ILFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: good pay, good benefits.
Cons: the 5min break doesnt allow you to take care of a few things.
A typical day at work would start off great. With other employees and managers striving to get a good productive day in, keeping in mind to stay safe and alert. Every morning, we would all gather around for a short meeting to discuss goals and how to make the work environment more and more safe. By the end of the day, everybody, including managers, – more... were proud of each others work effort. At Oldcastle Building Envelope, I learned that a productive day requires teamwork. The hardest part of my day was not meeting a goal I had set for myself, the positive outcome with that, was learning that teamwork can result in multiple goals to be accomplished on time. – less
No flexibility or Loyalty
SBZ(CNC)programmer (Current Employee), Tampa, FLJuly 1, 2013
Pros: good benefits, relatively clean work space
Cons: disrespecting and devaluing employees is the norm
Having over 20 year experience in storefront manufacturing, I must say this company shows no personal regard for hourly employees. Over the last 7 years, I have earned 32 cents per hour in raises.
I can never plan anything near the end of the month as management never commits to doing monthly inventories during regular business hours. In fact it could – more... start as late as 5pm Friday night, or be made mandatory on Saturday without any previous warning.
Corporate policies regard racial, sexual, religious and bullying comments, as totally unacceptable, but in this warehouse no such rules are enforced. Managers bully and belittle hourly, and salaried employees with harsh pointed jokes, and public ridicule.
Managers threaten to fire employees 'on the spot' for not wearing all the protective equipment required, but do not feel compelled to abide by the rules themselves.
Hours worked vary daily without any warning. Morning start times can change weekly, or daily with little or no warning. Taking a sick day, or time off for personal reasons is not allowed without a physical note from a Doctor every time. Two weeks notice is required for all non-emergence appointments, procedures and other activities. The time clock is monitored by corporate executives at CRH in Ireland, meaning be prompt always, and don't plan on any leeway if real problems come up, like a car issue, plumbing leak emergency at home, or kids need a ride to school. 3 strikes you're out, (haven't seen that happen yet though)
I won't say much else other than this. Any manufacturing company that can not adequately keep the minimum needed materials, and hardware in supply regularly, will fail absolutely. Customers are going elsewhere. – less
I love what I do at work when I come to work
Furnace Operator/Lead (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 20, 2013
Pros: one hour lunch break
Cons: good health and dentail benifits
I learned how to work safely first, learned how to become a mangement by being a leader in my department
Very Good Learning Experience!
Saw Operator (Former Employee), Fife,WAMay 24, 2013
Pros: birthday and annual regonition!
Cons: i wish that i never resigned due to a move!
I understood the training! My co-workers were understanding and helped me develope the skills in my position!
very safety orenated, great work atmosphere, great benifits
Glass Worker (Former Employee), Everett, WAOctober 11, 2012
Pros: job security overtime
Cons: gets hot in the summer
Overall a good place to work they have a lot to offer management and co workers makes it a easy place to work in as long as u do your job
u have nothing to worry about
productive,interesting work
Sheet Metal Fabricator (Former Employee), Terrell, TXAugust 27, 2012
Pros: good pay, safety rewards, overtime pay
Cons: heat in summer, and alot of personal safety equipment to wear such as hard hat, arm guards, safety vest, etc.
made skylights of different sizes and custom orders. worked the sheet metal from shear to fab to go to the skylight assemblers. learned how to work safely and keep a neat and clean working environment. The co workers were like family and team players.
Is great working hours just not enough pay for what the job requires.
Supervisor/ Fleet Manager Sean McCall (Current Employee), Tampa, FLJuly 22, 2012
Pros: mon- fri, dayshift, weekends off
Cons: very heavy glass to be off-loaded and very dangerous work.
Isn't a bad place to work . I just needed more money in order to do what the job requires and my family needed more income to help out.
Last ownership change was the last straw
Warehouse/Transportation Supervisor (Former Employee), Terrell, TXJuly 16, 2012
Giant corporation does not care about the "little people" in Terrell, Texas.
Great Pay/Benefits.........
Material Handler/Fork Truck Operator (Former Employee), Wright City, MOJuly 9, 2012
Pros: i dont work their anymore.
Not too many good things other than my bills were paid. Unethical management with tons of backwoods hoosiers stuck by the lips to their zippers.
Good co-workers, poor management
Service Center Manager (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCApril 25, 2012
Enjoyed working with co-workers but management would go against company policy. Home office promotes ethics but on the local level it is a different story.
No ethics
Receptionist (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAOctober 17, 2011
Pros: smart business plan
Cons: wacko ceo
CEO is impossible.. Not flexible. Uses temps, who quit after a day or two.