Olameter Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent work envirnment
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONNovember 25, 2015
Excellent work environment. Plenty of time in the open air and many wonderful opportunities to meet new people and see new places.
Pros
Plan own breaks
Cons
A lot of walking
Worst place i ever worked at ..... PERIOD
field technician (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONNovember 4, 2015
The management is very flaky and unable to make proper business oriented decisions. It was very hard to leave a full time time job, and to be promised the world. Was there for 6 months, worked up to 15 days straight .... 13 to 15 hr days .... to be laid off and to have them pull the plug on they're operations. Was very disappointed in the whole experience. I would never recommend anyone go and work for this company.
Pros
......
Cons
everything
Taken Advantage of
meter reader (Current Employee) –  ontarioJanuary 21, 2014
18 cents a meter.
Read 800 homes on average EVERYDAY. Day in, day out. and you will make $144/day. Take home = slightly over $100/day
You might say that there are good routes that pay well. There are, and only the 5 year+ experienced readers get those. So, they make a livable income.
If you are newer than 5 years, you get handed the the worst routes no one wants, instead of making the load equal. So newer readers like myself TRY to read 800 homes every day in hopes to make a petty $500/week(IF THAT) and burn yourself in the meantime.
Readers never make more, actually, new sub-contractors like Olameter come in and bid the lowest so the plentiful rich enough utility companies take them. Therefore, there are only ever pay decreases as the higher up management gains more by squeezing readers dry. SO, cost of living goes up, meter readers pay, goes down.
Also, no holidays, or time off in your first year, which is baffling as readers need to rest. Very inconsiderate. After a year you get 2 weeks holiday which you have paid for through deductions every paycheck.
Olameter is very generous when is comes to covering cost for shoes though. Since readers need very good footwear, and wear through shoes in months. They graciously give each employee a 15 dollar voucher for shoes per year. I know what you're thinking...WOW! But it gets better. Those are only for shoes that are "Tarantula Grip" anti-slip for the winter months...that actually make NO difference, and are exponentially uncomfortable.
Management does not explain what constitutes the different pay rates for the distance of reads.
  more... Usually, they are a cheaper rate than what they should be and readers get in trouble for changing them appropriately. So taking advantage of readers is a very acceptable practice for Olameter. Considering what the meter reading fee is on your bill, the utility companys must be laughing all the way to the bank and how much they make off us, including Olameter.  less
Great Job
Metering Technician, Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONSeptember 16, 2013
I made more money at this job than any other I've had.
You need to be physically fit and have a positive attitude. Piece work is not for everyone, but if you are a hard worker, you will reap the rewards.
Tiring, and a bit hard on the body, but over all a great experience.
The pay is great if you work hard
Field Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 24, 2013
Management often springs pay changes on you then demands you sign a new contract.
Outstanding Company
Electric Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, ABMarch 4, 2013
Without a doubt, one of the best jobs I have ever had.

When first interbiewed/hired, my supervisor said I would be lucky to break even at the end of two months. By four months I should start to see a bit of profit and by six months, begin to see some real income.

This job was piece work - the more you did, the more you got paid. By the end of the six month mark, I was grossing about $60,000 a year and I was able to regularly take an extra day off to volunteer with an outdoor youth group.

What was supposed to take 4 hours to complete, I would accuratley do in about 2 1/2.

The job was outside and in all kinds of weather (sometimes extreme), but I was able to organize my work accordingly to reduce the environmental impacts I had to face.
Pros
able to set own hours (within reason)

Comment – May 25, 2013

This former employee doesn't say why he/she is no longer employed with them.

Good people to work with
Spare" Lead-Hand (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, OntarioFebruary 24, 2013
My work begins in the morning where I am assigned my route for the day to either read water and electric meters for the P.U.C. or gas meters for Union Gas. This job can be long and tedious on some days or short and easy on other days. My supervisor is good at what she does and is helpful in assisting the readers when we incur problems on our routes. The other readers I work with are all friendly and will assist each other when needed. The hardest part of my job is putting up with the weather, especially in the winter. The most enjoyable part of my job is being outside walking for approximately 4 to 6 hours each day when the weather is nice.
Pros
good exercise and lots of fresh air.
Cons
bad weather and bad dogs.
milieu dynamique et actif
Installateur de compteurs de nouvelles générations (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QCFebruary 8, 2016
un milieu de travail dynamique et productif, dextérité manuelle , meilleur service à la clientèle, installation de qualité
Pros
bonus
Climat de travail agréable
Agent principale en contrôle qualité (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 6, 2016
Les conditions de travail sont très avantageuses, une bonne organisation.
entourage et envirenement
électricien (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 26, 2016
Ces expériences m’ont permis de développer mon esprit d’analyse, mon efficacité au travail, ma capacité d’adaptation, mon sens des responsabilités et mon autonomie. De plus, j’ai appris de très bonnes aptitudes pour les relations interpersonnelles.
Pros
hôtel, déplacement, repas gratuits
Cons
Assurance maladie
bonne entreprise
Technicien/installateur (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 11, 2015
parfait pour se faire une expérience comme technicien, cela permet d'acquérir de l'expérience technique tout en travaillant dans un environnement dynamique et motivant