Okanagan College Employee Reviews

Loved it
Page (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC1 September 2017
Great understanding manager. min wage.awesome if you are taking classes. Would work here again. only thing is the parking as its a big issue for years now
Positive working environment.
Sub Instructor, Lab Instructor (Current Position) (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC11 July 2017
Great place to work, Living a dream teaching young passionate culinary students. I really enjoyed sharing my experiences and giving back as an alumni.
Pros
Lots of engagement with students
Cons
Long drive into town
Great for students
Planner (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC22 June 2017
This work place as a nice work life balance for students and the management is very helpful with maintaining that balance. It was a great place to work while going to school.
Business Analyst - Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 June 2017
It is a great place to work. It's a union environment and the management is great. The salary is above average and work life balance is good. I would recommend it to anyone that has a chance to get in.
Fast Pace working environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC15 May 2017
Working here will help you to develop and own your skills because its such a fast pace environment. We have to be good at our craft to deliver on-time and good quality projects.
Good job for a student
Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 May 2017
The job is very flexible to student schedules. The work is easy enough you are asked a question by a fellow student and you do your best to help them out with a solution.
Learning and Development Specialist
Professor of Business Administration (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC9 May 2017
Okanagan College employs too many term professors. This creates a lack in continuity of their programs. The pay for term professors is brutal. There is virtually no onboarding although certain professors are willing to share their material.
Working as a research assistant was an overall positive experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC21 March 2017
This was my first experience working in the Canadian environment and I must admit it was a culture shock of all sorts. Nonetheless, working as an RA I recruited the participants for the project, conducted and transcribed the interviews. It was certainly great working with the supervisors of the project.
Working as an RA was overall a good opportunity, and a positive experience
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 March 2017
Full time consisted of 7 shifts per month. I was also expected to throw and promote one event per month during the active school year. Duties also included attending one meeting per week.
Loved the Challenge and Reward of being a professor
College Professor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC28 February 2017
Loved it. My supervisor was very helpful and understanding of how new I was to teaching at a college level. The students were great. I felt that I really fit in as a professor.
Pros
Great atmosphere and supportive professors
Cons
Tough to get past being a contractor.
Math teacher & teacher on call (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 January 2017
Management is very good at keeping instructors from accumulating too much seniority, and union is useless at advocating for instructors grievances. Some equipment or facilities are antiquated.
There are better teaching opportunities with other colleges.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Penticton3 December 2016
I did not have a good experience working at OC (Penticton). My dept was not at all collegial and the dept head unwelcoming and unhelpful. The coordinator was detached. For the most part, I felt very excluded. There was an unfortunate problem with unprofessional behaviour, as well - some dept members negatively discussed each other, also sometimes with students. In general, there was a poor working atmosphere within my dept. Support staff were great - very helpful and friendly.

Salary and benefits are weak - comparable institutions pay better and are more professional.
Pros
Great support staff, buildings are very functional & well maintained, I enjoyed working with adult students.
Cons
Salary is below industry average; lacks in collegiality, cooperation & support.
student job
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  kelowna25 October 2016
it was job while i went to school . it helped pass the time, gave me study time and a way to give back. i would recommend it to anyone. the college is a great place to work
Pros
interesting
Cons
tough
Great place to work with ping pong table in lunch area
Camp OC Volunteer Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC20 September 2016
A typical day would start with organizing games and activities for the campers. then they would work on the skill of the camp, this one was acting, then lunch and more games after that. Management was great and really nice
Unionized environment - good & bad
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC9 March 2016
Depending on the dept. makes all the difference in the world. I have had bad experiences in some, but other dept. are wonderful too. People are generally nice, but clicky. As a temp, be prepared to do your time before anything permanent comes your way.
Pros
Toonie pot buffet - beautiful feast for employees
Cons
Big workload
Fun
Biology Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC6 February 2016
• Creating lesson plans dependent on the abilities of student
• Ensuring safety while developing the skating skills of individuals
• Motivating students and critiquing areas in need of further progress
• Communicating with program supervisor about student progress
• Informing student of their progress in report cards

Fantastic co-workers
Fun and exciting place to work
Aboriginal Transitions Planner (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC31 July 2015
I enjoyed working in this college environment. If you like helping others this is a great place to work.
If you like working with students and assisting them this is a great place to help students.
The college is involved in many events and this can be a lot of fun as well.
Pros
very interesting and varied work
Cons
very busy not enough time in the day
Open and honest
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 May 2015
I felt that working at Okanagan College was a great experience. It offered an open and honest work environment as well as the the flexibility to work on school work and set aside the research for a few days so I could catch up on assignments and readings. I thoroughly enjoyed working here.
Loved the experience
College Professor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna BC23 April 2015
Can't complain. Wish the position was a lot longer. I was supported when I needed help, I felt appreciated, and I truly enjoyed the experience.
It is a very challenging and interesting program
First Year Mechanical Engineering student (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC21 November 2013
Most days the classes start at 8:30. The instructors are very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about teaching. They are willing and able to assist any students who feels they may need extra help. The course load is quite heavy, with seven total courses in the first semester.
Pros
Up to date technology

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Okanagan College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3