OceanWorks International in Burnaby, Canada, has an opening for a Senior Mechanical Designer.
OceanWorks International is a privately held subsea technology company that specializes in manned and unmanned subsea work systems and engineering/fabrication services for key international marine industries including International Military, Scientific, Oil & Gas, and Renewable Energy markets. Our Burnaby operation is focused on the design, assembly and testing of subsea technical solutions.
The Senior Mechanical Designer is responsible for conceptual and detailed mechanical design of mechanical systems and components, including but not limited to electro-mechanical, hydraulics, pneumatics, pressure vessels, etc. using Pro/Engineer and AutoCAD. The designs are to meet safety, functionality & manufacturability requirements.
1. Develop accurate and detailed documentation including but not limited detailed design & fabrication drawings, bills of materials, material specifications, technical data, equipment/product data sheets, assembly instructions, installation instructions, operation & maintenance manuals, illustrations and presentations to enable the correct manufacture / assembly / installation / testing of equipment by others.
2. Act as a designate for the Lead Project Engineer. This includes not only design & checking but also approval as outlined in points 3 through 5 below.
3. Approve/check/produce engineering drawings, Bills of Materials & Process Specifications (Material Spec.’s, Work Instructions, Test Procedures, etc) meeting the standards established by the company and required by customers for products.
4. Approve / process ECO’s (Engineering Change Orders).
5. Approve NCR’s requiring technical input.
6. Maintain complete and accurate project records, including design calculations, design reviews, computer files, drawing files, correspondence, NCR / ECO’s, etc.
7. Provide time estimates for scheduling & bidding purposes. Recommends resources required to accomplish assigned responsibilities and duties.
8. Provide technical guidance and assistance in support of activities involved in the sourcing, procurement, fabrication, installation, commissioning and operation of "standard" equipment through design reviews and drawing signoff.
9. Recommend, identify and source components to be used in designs, including consideration of Quality Assurance requirements.
10. Apply QA codes and process specifications as required to the configuration baseline.
11. Meet project requirements and budget through the use of the ISO 9001 registered Design Control process. Fundamental to this is clear communication with Project Management, Production, Quality Assurance and vendors, as directed by the Lead Project Engineer.
12. Assist in training of new staff in execution and completion of engineering tasks for projects and integration of design documents into the overall engineering documentation system as directed by Engineering Management.
13. Support field work and system commissioning including travel to remote locations when required
14. Liaise with other departments to include sales, manufacturing, materials & purchasing.
15. Assists in other related tasks and projects as assigned.
- Minimum of 10 years design experience in a related manufacturing design environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Pro-Engineer and AutoCAD design software through advanced training or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude.
- Working knowledge of Pro/Intralink database.
- Knowledge of configuration baselines, QA codes and process specifications.
- Knowledge of current industry standards, manufacturing methods and material science related to the subsea industry.
- Ability to work independently, within a team and/or lead a team of designers.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience in mechanical drafting standards (e.g. ASME Y14.5M-1994) and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Application of standard engineering practices to ensure conformance with functional specifications and project requirements.
- Ability to multi-task on several concurrent projects.
- Knowledge of office software tools (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, MS Projects).
- Technician/Technologist III equivalent classification.
- Technologist diploma in mechanical engineering or higher
- Registered professional technologist or eligible for registration
- Fluency in English, spoken and written
Employees must be able to work in an environment governed by the Controlled Goods Program of Canada, and therefore a criminal record check is required for all new employees.
Information can be provided upon request.
If this opportunity appeals to you, then please send your cover letter and resume to us. Please quote “Senior Mechanical Designer” in the email subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. We politely request no telephone calls please.
If you would like to receive more information about our company, please visit our website at www.oceanworks.com.