OceanWorks International in Burnaby, Canada, has an immediate opening for an Intermediate Mechanical Engineer.
OceanWorks International is a privately held subsea technology company that specializes in manned and unmanned subsea work systems and engineering/fabrication services for key international marine industries including International Military, Scientific, Oil & Gas, and Renewable Energy markets. Our Burnaby operation is focused on the design, assembly and testing of subsea technical solutions.
BASIC JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Intermediate Mechanical Engineer is responsible for detailed design and development of subsea mechanical systems, including but not limited to preliminary, critical design, and testing phases of mechanical, hydraulic, electro-mechanical and pneumatic systems. The designs are to meet safety, functionality, manufacturability and cost requirements.
- Design mechanical systems including mechanical structures, hydraulics, electro-mechanical and pneumatic components and integrated systems.
- Develop, check and/or review detailed engineering documentation including but limited to engineering specifications, bills of materials & process specifications (material specifications, work instructions, test procedures, etc.), calculations, analysis, risk assessments, technical data, mechanical schematics & interface control documents, engineering reports, assembly & installation instructions, operation & maintenance manuals, illustrations and presentations to enable the correct manufacture / assembly / installation / testing of subsea equipment.
- Check/approve engineering drawings, bills of materials & process specifications (material spec.’s, work instructions, test procedures, etc), meeting the standards established by the company and required by customers for projects.
- Initiate / process ECO’s (Engineering Change Orders).
- Maintain complete and accurate project records, including design calculations, design reviews, computer files, drawing files, correspondence, NCR’s (Non Conformance Reports) /ECO’s, etc.
- Work on small projects as assigned by the Engineering Manager or Engineering Supervisor.
- Provide technical assistance in support of activities involved in sourcing, procurement, fabrication, installation, commissioning and operation of "standard" equipment through design reviews and drawing signoff.
- Identify and source components to be used in designs, including consideration of Quality Assurance requirements.
- Apply QA codes and process specifications as required to the configuration baseline.
- Meet project requirements and budget through the use of the ISO 9001 registered Design Control process. Fundamental to this is clear communication with System Engineering, Project Management, Production, Quality Assurance and vendors, as directed by Engineering Management.
- Support field work and system commissioning including travel to remote locations when required.
- Assist development of work instructions, test procedures, test reports and other process specifications for new and existing product.
- Develop content for product manuals and training manuals.
- Assist preparation of design proposals including concept development and estimating for scheduling and bidding purposes.
- As required, assume the role of mechanical assembly technician.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor degree in mechanical engineering or higher
- Registered professional engineer or eligible for P.Eng. registration
- Fluency in English, spoken and written
- Minimum 5 years of sub-sea / high reliability engineering or equivalent with direct experience in the design and development of mechanical systems for remote and harsh environments.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience in design, integration, qualification testing or commissioning of high reliability systems.
- Experience in project engineering, specifically system engineering, work breakdown structure and application of standard engineering practices to ensure conformance with functional specifications and project requirements.
- Knowledge of configuration baselines, QA codes and process specifications.
- Ability to work under direct supervision and in team environments.
- Knowledge of Pro-Engineer / Creo Parametric, AutoCAD, and PTC Windchill design software through formal training or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of mechanical drafting standards (e.g. ASME Y14.5M-1994) and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Ability to multi-task on several concurrent projects.
- Knowledge of office software tools (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to produce technical writing in a project environment
- Demonstrated ability to execute under pressure and tight timeline.
- Willingness to travel and work internationally up to 10% of the time for customer reviews, installation, commissioning, testing, customer support or duties as required.
Employees must be able to work in an environment governed by the Controlled Goods Program of Canada, and therefore a criminal record check is required for all new employees. Information can be provided upon request.
If this opportunity appeals to you, then please send your cover letter and resume to us. Please quote “Intermediate Mechanical Engineer” in the email subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. We politely request no telephone calls please.
OceanWorks offers a competitive compensation package with an excellent benefits package. Our team is made up of self-motivated, innovative individuals who thrive on challenge. We are always looking for talented, success-oriented people to join our team. We embrace an open work environment where you can express your ideas. We cultivate teamwork and cooperation. If you are creative and would like to join our team, we would love to hear from you.
If you would like to receive more information about our company, please visit our website at www.oceanworks.com.