OceanWorks International in Burnaby, Canada, has an immediate opening for an IT Manager position.
OceanWorks International is a privately held subsea technology company that specializes in manned and unmanned subsea work systems and engineering/fabrication services for key international marine industries including International Military, Scientific, Oil & Gas, and Renewable Energy markets. Our Burnaby operation is focused on the design, assembly and testing of subsea technical solutions.
BASIC JOB DESCRIPTION:
The IT Manager's role is to ensure the streamlined operation of the infrastructure supporting information technologies and information systems in alignment with the business objectives of the organization. The individual will plan, coordinate, direct, and design IT-related activities of the organization, as well as provide administrative direction/hands-on support for daily operational activities of the IT department. In addition to managing the IT Department, the manager will oversee and support existing software development and information system administrators.
The IT Manager will bring to the role a wealth of experience in multiple disciplines directly related to IT and the management of technology including experience in IT project management, infrastructure design, development and delivery. The present environment is primarily Windows including Windows Server 2003/2008 and XP/7.
The IT department is critical to the success of Oceanworks by providing the infrastructure which supports all business, engineering and production activities of the company.
The IT Manager will be up to date with all related technology trends across multiple platforms and be able to communicate effectively by seeking comments, anticipating issues and solving problems with other members of the team.
The IT Manager reports to the General Manager.
The major responsibilities of the position and IT department include:
- Lead the IT strategy planning activities, bringing a current knowledge and future vision of trends, infrastructure technology and best practices, and lead the migration to new technologies as appropriate for IT evolution
- Analyze technology, industry and market trends and determine potential impact upon the enterprise and operations.
- Make recommendations on improving the effectiveness and efficiency of IT in delivering value to the business
- Management of the change process once approved
- Be responsible for the overall planning, management, implementation and maintenance of the corporate wide effectiveness of the networks ensuring high levels of performance and department satisfaction
- Oversee and assist with daily IT operations including server and network infrastructure
- Forecast financial, physical and human resource needs to meet demands
- Ensure data backup/recovery, maintenance, data integrity and space requirements are met across a variety of platforms, including cloud, to meet business objectives
- Develop business and technology standards and best practices based on industry standards such as ITIL.
- Serve as an expert resource to IT groups in planning the resource requirements for systems under development
- Be responsible for the management of third party service providers in delivering computing and network services. This includes negotiation and management of committed service levels of these suppliers in delivering services
- Establish network security policy and implementation
- ERP interface management
- Backend service management
- Asset deployment and asset maintenance management
- Application and software deployment, maintenance and use management
- Work directly with the department managers to understand and monitor their requirements and system performance expectations
- Demonstrate flexibility in developing IT capability that can be tailored to suit company and department changes and evolution
- Prepare monthly metrics and reports using key performance indicators, to monitor infrastructure and IT department performance. Present statistical availability and trend analysis in support of recommendations to senior management and the business as needed
- Prepare annual department budget and manage the department operating budget throughout the year
- Be familiar with open-source technologies and programming environments such as Mantis, Github, Ruby on Rails, Java, C, C# to support internal software developers.
- Perform other tasks related to the day-to-day management of the IT department
- Responsible for recruiting, interviewing and hiring of new employees and contractors in association with the Human Resources department and Senior Management
- Responsible for departmental orientation and training of employees and contractors including maintaining their training files
- Supervise IT department personnel including handling performance evaluations and salary reviews
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
- A sliding scale totaling 10 years experience which includes at least 2 of the following:
- Bachelor in Computer Science
- Diploma in Information Systems/Business Systems
- Minimum 5 years experience administering a network in a corporate environment.
- MCSE/MCSA or MCITP
- Five to ten years in a related field including IT project management experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The IT manager will have the following skills:
- Strong IT project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Effective organizational skills and attention to detail
- Windows/ Mac Administration (cross platform)
- Systems/Network Administration in an AD environment.
- Virtualization technologies including Hyper V and VMWare.
- Cloud competency with proven track record of moving resources to Cloud based platforms.
- Mobile device set up and management
- Third-Party Interface Implementations.
- Database/Web Server support, with knowledge of Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server, https:, IIS, Apache
- Routine maintenance, interface monitoring, and testing
Familiarity and working knowledge with the following would be an asset:
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) such as SAP, Microsoft Dynamics, Info/BAAN
- Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) such as Windchill, Matrix One, Agile
- Mechanical/Electrical design software such as PTC Creo, Autodesk AutoCAD/Inventor, Dassault SolidWorks, Altium Designer
- Simulation software such as Simulink, Matlab
Employees must be able to work in an environment governed by the Controlled Goods Program of Canada, and therefore a criminal record check is required for all new employees. Information can be provided upon request.
If this opportunity appeals to you, then please send your cover letter and resume to us.
Please quote “IT Manager” in the email subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. We politely request no telephone calls please.
OceanWorks offers a competitive compensation package with an excellent benefits package. Our team is made up of self-motivated, innovative individuals who thrive on challenge. We are always looking for talented, success-oriented people to join our team.
We embrace an open work environment where you can express your ideas. We cultivate teamwork and cooperation. If you are creative and would like to join our team, we would love to hear from you.
If you would like to receive more information about our company, please visit our website at www.oceanworks.com.