OceanWorks International in Burnaby, Canada, has an immediate opening for an Assistant Controller position.
OceanWorks International is a privately held subsea technology company that specializes in manned and unmanned subsea work systems and engineering / fabrication services for key international marine industries including International Military, Scientific, Oil & Gas, and Renewable Energy markets. Our Burnaby operation is focused on the design, assembly and testing of subsea technical solutions.
Under minimum supervision, the Assistant Controller carries out a wide variety of accounting functions of considerable complexity in order to supervise the maintenance of the accounting records and systems. This will require the use of judgment to interpret policies and adapt practices in novel situations. Responsible for the general accounting functions including the timely and accurate preparation of financial information to be consolidated at the corporate level. In addition to more routine work, carries out complicated reconciliations, verifies invoices, prepares statements of variances from budget, changes in net income in relation to forecast and complies special reports. Assigns and checks work and provides training of accounting staff and assists the General Manager / Corporate Controller as required.
1. Responsible for the timely and accurate preparation of the monthly financial statements and forecasts.
2. Provide input into Key Performance Indicators, monitor there performance and generates reports on regular basis.
3. Approve journal entries and customer invoices.
4. Oversee supplier invoice coding and approvals.
5. Oversee reconciliation of subledgers to general ledger.
6. Calculate and review revenue recognition for projects.
7. Assist General Manager / Corporate Controller with monitoring cash flow and negotiating with suppliers.
8. Analysis of general ledger and monthly financial statements.
9. Preparation of annual operating budget and annual capital budget.
10. Assist General Manager / Corporate Controller with special projects as required.
Compliance & Control:
1. Responsible for the adequacy and compliance of the Company’s internal control system.
2. Review for compliance with Company’s internal control procedures.
3. Liaise with the Company’s external financial auditors.
4. Analyze project costs as required.
5. Review requests for capital expenditures.
6. Prepare monthly reports to lending institutions.
7. Ensures compliance with taxation authorities for payments and filings.
8. Liaise within other company departments and subsidiaries
1. Back-up payroll processor and provide oversight on all payroll processes.
2. Oversee bi-weekly payroll using PayWorks software.
3. Ensure payroll reports are compiled and reconciled.
4. Review Contractor accruals and payments.
5. Review and submit workers compensation quarterly premiums.
6. Assist with financial management of benefits.
7. Oversee the preparation of T4/T4A Summary and T4’s at the end of each year.
8. Respond to any CCRA inquires.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and reporting requirements for USA.
2. Knowledge of company policies and procedures.
3. Knowledge of ERP systems related to accounting functions.
4. Advanced knowledge of Excel and proficient knowledge of all other Microsoft Office products (Word, Outlook, Projects)
5. Working knowledge of Canadian tax and Scientific Research and Education Development Claims.
6. Strong analytic, problem-solving and organizational skills.
7. High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
8. Effective and professional verbal and written communication skills.
9. Demonstrated ability to exercise initiative, sound judgment, discretion and tact.
10. Strong ability to multi-task competing priorities and work under tight timelines.
11. Commitment to supporting a team focused environment.
Qualifications (Education, Experience and Training):
1. Bachelor’s degree or diploma, with a major in Accounting
2. Qualified Accountant for 3+ years or 15+ years of experience in financial accounting
3. 1-3 years of payroll experience
4. 1-2 years supervisory experience
Employees must be able to work in an environment governed by the Controlled Goods Program of Canada, and therefore a criminal record check may be required. Information can be provided upon request.
If this opportunity appeals to you, then please send your cover letter and resume to us. Please quote “Assistant Controller” in the email subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. We politely request no telephone calls please.
If you would like to receive more information about our company, please visit our website at www.oceanworks.com.