The Special Events Coordinator will organize and lead the implementation of ORBIS Canada’s national special event, which includes various event activities such as a plane pull for sight in Toronto and Vancouver, ORBIS donor appreciation reception and possible third party events. Duties include the scheduling, managing, implementing and maintaining records for all event activities, and working closely with ORBIS staff and volunteers to promote these event activities.
REPORTS TO: Director of Development
- Work with the development director to create and maintain the plans, templates, timelines and budgets for each event.
- Manage and direct the human resources, i.e. ORBIS staff and volunteers, required for each event as well as the event venue’s staff.
- Manage and Train volunteers to ensure their successful participation.
- Obtain all supplies and ORBIS merchandise required for each event, including licensing and insurance.
- Liaises with appropriate contacts to secure venues and vendors, and negotiate all contracts terms related to the events logistics in good faith.
- Organize and attend event coordination meetings and record meeting minutes.
- Solicit gifts-in-kind for events.
- Participate in promoting the events to donors, the general public and media through timely notice using multiple resources.
- Attend all events activities - NOTE: These may occur after normal work hours, and/or on weekends.
- At all times, project a positive and professional image during in-person and phone interaction with donors, board members, volunteers and the general public * Field media enquiries and be prepared for interviews with media representatives
- Support ORBIS Canada team with various events as needed
DESIRED CANDIDATE PROFILE:
The ideal candidate has an outgoing and engaging personality who works well with others, and displays a keen interest in international development work. She/he is able to work independently, juggle multiple tasks and deadlines and can handle stress well. He/she has a valid driver’s license and passport valid for travel throughout North America. Additional requirements are:
- 3+ years’ experience running successful special events, including responsibility for public speaking and crowd control
- Successful experience working in a culturally diverse environment
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector is an asset
- Previous experience working with volunteers is desired
- Courses or a certificate in event management is preferred
SKILL S& ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication, including reading, writing and typing in English is a must. Cantonese language skills are a valued asset.
- Strong PR skills and ability to expertly field media enquiries and give interviews
- Proven ability to liaise effectively with event stake holders, i.e. suppliers, staff, volunteers, media and on-site event staff.
- Excellent computer skills using internet, outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge database.
Normal working conditions for an office environment, deskwork with a computer. Work hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. Events often occur on weekends and after normal working hours. This is a 6-month contract salaried position without benefits; with the possibility of renewal or a permanent position after the 6 months are up.
ORBIS Canada is an affiliate of ORBIS International. Our small but committed team of three staff works closely with our Canadian Board of Directors to generate awareness and support for ORBIS from donors across Canada. ORBIS relies heavily on medical and non-medical volunteers: 45 of ORBIS International’s 400 volunteer faculty are Canadians. As well, many non-medical volunteers generously support the organization with administrative and fundraising event duties.
Indeed - 10 months ago