Nygard International Employee Reviews in Canada

Is a hard company to work for no support from upper management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 26, 2016
I would come into work and hear we have to manually record "this" and "that" and send a report via email at the end of the business day to our divisional head in Winnipeg, which is not necessary, the company has a great inventory system but the people in high places have no clue how to use it. They keep adding on reports and charts and keeping their eye off the ball regarding selling. The management are trained in old school intimidation tactics and should be sent to respect in the work place courses.

I would suggest as short term work to build up or wardrobe then look elsewhere .
Pros
Clothing credits and employee discounts
Cons
Management from Winnipeg
great crew to work with, free clothing not enough pay to live on
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 25, 2016
found management asked a lot of you without recognition other than ability to earn free clothing, and some commission, which was somewhat helpful but that didn't pay for the rising cost of living We were given a great dinner out with the team for high sales, which was enjoyable.Always busy and on the run so no time to get bored. A couple of events a month were fun but taxed staff. Exhausted at end of day, left little room or energy for outside interests.Too much negative reinforcement from middle and upper management.After a year never did take a full week of vacation due to restrictions and staff shortages and received no raise..
Pros
meals out, clothing, jewelry incentives
Cons
strong emphasis on what was wrong
Appreciate meeting and being with people everyday.
Asst. Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 13, 2016
A typical day at work would be checking updates on promotions,markdowns and checking the store's direction towards the weekly budget. Making sure the store is tidy and the sales floor organized. Interacting and giving excellent service to customer is a MUST. Different comapanies has different systems so we have to welcome and embrace change as you learn day by day. I love the company and I am happy with the store but having a slow-learner immediate superior is what I considered the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is having to meet different kinds of people with different cultures.
Pros
Meal and transportation allowance.
Cons
Late working hours
Great place to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 25, 2016
I enjoyed working for Nygard due to the clientele which were mostly the elderly. Management at the time was well organized, The hardest part working there was the fitting rooms and the flooring needed to be updated.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
In an old shopping mall that needed upgrading
Awesome place to work
Designated store associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 12, 2016
I really enjoyed working at nygard international. I developed management skills and nygard international is a great place to work.
Love it!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sydney River, NSFebruary 21, 2016
I truly enjoy working at the Keltic Plaza location. I love the clothes and the customers. The staff are wonderful. The manager is great!
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
low income
Very unprofessional
HR Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  TorontoJuly 21, 2015
I had an interview at their head office for a HR administration opening. The interview went well although it seemed as though they were unsure what the position actually entailed. I was told I would hear back from the Toronto office's HR manager about the position and be given feedback on my interview, but it has been a month and I never received a call or email. The job as since been re-posted two or three times with the title changing from "HR Admin" to "Paralegal" back to H"R Admin", and then "Paralegal/HR Admin". From an outsiders perspective this makes their organization look extremely unprofessional and unorganized. It is clearly all the same position because of the size of the Toronto office and the duties outlined in the job description. Either way, this experience has completely turned me off from the company.
productive and fun workplace
Sewing Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 11, 2015
Come on time at work do my jobs .I learned more on how to operate sewing machine.Great management, my co-workers they were all friendly and funny.The hardest part on this job is when you know some of your co-worker is cheating(... I worked here as a piece worker) The most enjoyable part of the job is when you finished your job perfectly what I mean is when there is no rejects or repair.
Pros
Christmas time.... free food and really a celebration.
bad upper management
sales associate (Current Employee) –  mallSeptember 28, 2015
The upper management in Nygard International is very poor and bad organized. They pay a little but expect you to do work of a manager
Pros
in a mall
Busy womens retail.
Sales Associate/Keyholder/2IC (Current Employee) –  north vancouverMay 25, 2015
My co workers are awesome.I have learnt alot from head manager not being into retail before.Physically draining when stock arrives on weekly basis.Company expects more than required for job title without paying for extra hours needed for extra events.
Cons
company expectations .
I wish I could give this place 0 stars
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OntarioMarch 20, 2016
I have only been working retail for a few years while in school, but working for Nygard was definitely the worst job experience I've ever had. Although working with the customers was great, the store level management was absolutely horrible. I was constantly talked down to, I never got proper training, and was always harassed about things that I had no idea about/was never told about. Management really stressed sales targets and UPTs, which I totally understand, but it was really stressful when you're only a part time employee and often only given shifts when it's slow. When I was given shifts on busy afternoons, however, I was to share my sales with the other associates while they did other things. Frankly, I'd be running around trying to service every customer with no help, but yet I'd have to share all my sales with everyone there?? By the end of my time at Nygard, I was only given 3-8 hours a week but my manager kept bugging me to buy the clothes. I was often told by the store manager that I had been there long enough and I should be head to toe Nygard every shift. How would one expect me to buy the clothes when I can't even pay my bills? Plus, the company only gives the store a certain amount of hours, so you are to clock in and clock out EXACTLY on time (aka if you start early or stay late you do not get paid for that extra time.)

I ended up quitting Nygard without giving them any notice. When I first started, I was told that a few former employees had done the same, and I can't say I'm surprised. I would not recommend working for Nygard to anyone.
Cons
EVERYTHING
Very well organized and maintained workplace.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 26, 2014
Highly disciplined working environment. Reasonable wages. GYM, cafeteria, free professional training. Free parking. Convenient location. Bus stop across main entrance. 50% employee discount at all Nygard stores. Multiple locations across Canada, US and India. Some positions require traveling.
Professional clean working environment
Service Centre Shipping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 20, 2014
Good working enviroment

Have learned different skills ie dealing with people in a productive and professional manner

Professional management

Working to ensure all product is shipped on time at the end of the day. Can on occasion be like putting a square peg in a round hole

Dealing with co-workers in the service centre
Pros
cafe in the service centre with an excellent chef
Cons
I started out as fulltime employee when store opened and was Manager when I left.
Asst.Manager&Manager (Former Employee) –  Pine Center Mall, Prince George, BCJuly 13, 2013
I truly enjoyed the job and everything I learned as well. I found as manager there was days when I could have used more support from my peers. I took ownership of the store when I became manager but it was really hard to find help that was willing to do the same. Maybe I expected to much. I enjoyed my customers to the fullest and miss them terribly. The company was hard to work for and when I left they hired the third manager in a year.
Quiet and calm work place, was very productive.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 8, 2013
Checking voice mails.
How to do payroll for office employees in Main offices in Canada.
Handled customers on the phone and in person.
Clocking Employee's in and out of the building.
Worked alone.
Management was very good and polite.
Hardest part of job was not being fully explained how to do a job, and not being able to finish it.
Most enjoyable part was greeting the friendly workers.
Pros
easy job, nothing too complicated.
Cons
long hours in the summer
Productive Workplace at Nygard
MANAGER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 29, 2013
Projected a professional image through phone interaction with the clients and employees.The enjoyable part was to prepare agendas, boards, various business meetings and organize–office equipment for video conference meetings which helps me to develop strong computer skills. The hardest part of the job was stress because of delay in delivery of merchandise.
Pros
free lunches, benefits
Cons
not paid overtimes
Great company but district managers are too much.would still be there if it was not for them.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  OntarioJuly 3, 2012
Daily running of the store itself was good. The demand to do outside events took away a lot from the clients. The exisiting staff were hard to work with when it came to stealing sales and trying to meet all teir demands while trying to make the store productive. I enjoyed the company a lot and wish things had been different for me there. i miss the clients very much.
Pros
the clothing was beautiful and you got great discounts
Cons
lack of support from the distric manager
High demands for low pay but good discounts for employees
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Nova ScotiaApril 18, 2013
Upper management was very demanding- store setup had to be perfect, needed lots of outside events...oftentimes I felt it took away from in-store customer service when we had to be so focused on outside goings on.
Sales budgets were high- very difficult to reach, and lots of pressure to hit them. High expectations of associates- lots if different quotas to reach...pressure at every level of worker.
Employee discount was great, along with free clothing, but very difficult to earn free clothing- budgets were too high to be able to earn much. And even harder to earn commission.
Overall, lots of demands for minimum wage.
Pros
employee discount, free clothes
Cons
too many quotas to meet, budgets too high to get.
it fun to work in a prductive line
Quality Control Auditor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 29, 2012
my days at work is good.
i have learned alot about inspection and measurement of garments.
management is good.
i coperate and get along well with all of my co-workers.
the hardest part of the job is when finding lots of defects and measurement problems on the garments.
the most enjoyable part of the job is when learning about different duties in other areas.
Pros
free dinner when work over time
Cons
i work lots of over time
Temporary work
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONOctober 6, 2014
Positive work environment
seasonal work
Able to work in a professional environment
Learned aspects of factory specs
repetitive tasks
Assigned to work both independently and with co-workers