Nygard International

Nygard International Employee Reviews

Toxic work environment with terrible policies
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 December 2016
On paper, this position looked great. But I found out very early that this is a stressful, demanding job with few perks. They will dock your bonuses for being as much as 1 second late, or if the CEO isn't pleased with you that day. Upper management can be abusive and often disrespects their employees. A very challenging environment where wages are frozen and advancement is not offered. Bonuses are also not what they will promise. No matter your level of performance, you will not make your full bonus, maybe a very small fraction, but not much more.

One bonus is the people, excellent people to work with that will assist in any way they can. The talent pool in the marketing department is incredible.
Pros
50% discount on purchases from online store
Cons
Unpaid overtime - wages
Corporate culture definitely different than other companies
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 August 2016
I thought that this was a good place to work. Everyone was friendly and helpful and always willing to help and show you around. It is a corporate culture that micro manages employee time and attendance.

This changed when I had missed some time and was docked pay for it. Yet, when I had worked overtime, I was advised that the company does not pay overtime. Sorry, you can't have it both ways.

When you are on salary and you are docked time when you away for appointments then you should be paid when you work overtime. According to Labour Standards, salaried employees are entitled to overtime when they work over 8 hours in the day. It doesn't matter how much the company pays in bonuses, it still is against the Labour Standards not to pay overtime.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the people.
Pros
Great clothing discounts
Cons
Not paid overtime yet deducted when missing work, mandatory working two weekends in the year yet not being paid for your time.
great crew to work with, free clothing not enough pay to live on
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 May 2016
found management asked a lot of you without recognition other than ability to earn free clothing, and some commission, which was somewhat helpful but that didn't pay for the rising cost of living We were given a great dinner out with the team for high sales, which was enjoyable.Always busy and on the run so no time to get bored. A couple of events a month were fun but taxed staff. Exhausted at end of day, left little room or energy for outside interests.Too much negative reinforcement from middle and upper management.After a year never did take a full week of vacation due to restrictions and staff shortages and received no raise..
Pros
meals out, clothing, jewelry incentives
Cons
strong emphasis on what was wrong
Keep looking
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS28 September 2016
I worked for nygard for about a year as a part time sales associate. Throughout that year, the store went through 4 managers and 5 assistant managers. The store was run for a few months with no manager. By the time I had been there for 4 months, I was the only one who was still there since I started. We were expected to work 5 sometimes even 6 hour shifts by ourselves with no break. We would get in trouble if we didn't make goals yet there was little to no traffic in the store. It wasn't unheard of to work a 5 hour evening shift and not have one customer in the store. When I asked for full time hours, I was given 12 hours a week then told there were no hours and then a week later, they were complaining they didn't have enough staff and would hire a new person. I'm surprised I lasted that long. Management throughout the whole company was such a joke. Only heard from them when it was something negative.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
No hours, no respect, unreasonable expectations
Modern Slavery
Manager (Former Employee) –  Inkster Industrial Park, MB8 February 2017
I was in a management position at head office and within couple months I realized the company is disorganized, no respect, no professionalism. The company expects hourly workers to stay longer but do not want to pay extra penny..how sad! its a company where are no ethics, so if you are looking for a job its easy to get in here because no body wants to work and you can be there life long as few of the management people been there for 20 plus years.

No life, only work! in short its a modern slavery!
I wish I can give 0 to the company
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2017
I really wish I give give 0 to the company, mamagement is not professional and sometime may get abusive. Very stressful and always work overtime. can not get any recognition from the mamagement
Pros
Co-workers are very friendly and supportive
Cons
long hours, no break, stressful and disrespect
Appreciate meeting and being with people everyday.
Asst. Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 April 2016
A typical day at work would be checking updates on promotions,markdowns and checking the store's direction towards the weekly budget. Making sure the store is tidy and the sales floor organized. Interacting and giving excellent service to customer is a MUST. Different comapanies has different systems so we have to welcome and embrace change as you learn day by day. I love the company and I am happy with the store but having a slow-learner immediate superior is what I considered the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is having to meet different kinds of people with different cultures.
Pros
Meal and transportation allowance.
Cons
Late working hours
Great people - just not enough from Head office
Store manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 October 2016
I really enjoy the staff and area management at Nygard. Managers do make decent money in higher volume locations. Head Office needs to realize that not everything is controllable - and 97% of the time it is NOT the store staff to blame.
Pros
Clothing credits
Cons
not enough help for store managers
Overall ok
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON3 September 2016
Alot of confusion and misleading info
Told one thing something else happening.....alot of uncertainly.company wants alot but not willing to give
Never feels like u belong ......Sales goals high and then if u don't make it ....wondering will you have work or unemployed.
Pros
Clothing credits good.
Cons
Wages poor ...sales goals high and management have hidden agendas.
Nygard summary
ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON15 September 2016
I got job to done this job so learned every until this job done, management is very organised and co-worker are very cooperative,when its take time,when I have done this job
Is a hard company to work for no support from upper management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 April 2016
I would come into work and hear we have to manually record "this" and "that" and send a report via email at the end of the business day to our divisional head in Winnipeg, which is not necessary, the company has a great inventory system but the people in high places have no clue how to use it. They keep adding on reports and charts and keeping their eye off the ball regarding selling. The management are trained in old school intimidation tactics and should be sent to respect in the work place courses.

I would suggest as short term work to build up or wardrobe then look elsewhere .
Pros
Clothing credits and employee discounts
Cons
Management from Winnipeg
Enjoy working with the customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London On19 September 2016
I truly enjoy working at Nygard. Most of our clients are elderly and they can be so much fun to help build a wardrobe. My fellow co-workers are the best part of the job. We all work very well together. We all have quotas for the day but once we meet our quota we all chip in to make sure everyone gets their numbers. My manager is a wonderful person who tries hard to keep everyone happy.
Pros
the staff and customers
Cons
not enough hours
Not worth it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON30 August 2016
I worked for the Bowmanville store, they gave me limited hours and three hour shifts not worth coming in for. They never gave me my breaks or lunches but expected you to bring their store in money with zero incentives besides forcing you to buy their over priced overaged clothing. Not to mention their backroom just waiting to collapse on top of you and ancient methods prolonging simple tasks. I would highly reccomend skipping over this place as a place to work.
Cons
short shifts, no breaks, safety hazards.
Don't Bother Working Here
Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS19 September 2016
Received only one day of training as Manager.
Every store is run differently, no consistency.
District Manager doesnt return phone calls or emails.
They never promote from within
$11.45/hr for assistant manager
No customers- most boring job in the world.
Pros
Clothing Credit, use Internet on computer, no pressure to meet goals, commission over $100/hour, no supervision
Cons
Work alone a lot, boring, have to wear their clothing
review
Sales Representative / Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC28 June 2016
I come in and turn on the tv and start cleaning the pod and putting clothes away and fix the hangers I am constantly helping costumers and selling our product I am usually on my own and the day goes by really fast it is fun working for NYGARD .
Pros
Cons
have to work 37/5 hours no expceptions
A very diorganized company
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 January 2017
Rsm expectations were to high even with profit margins reached constantly on a wekkly and montly basis. Rsm enjoy giving lectures on a weekly basis without giving proper guidelines.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Worked too much off the clock
Love the clothing and credits.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC27 August 2016
Commission based so sturred up unfriendly work environment. Corporate is a micro managing company and does not stand by their staff. A lot of turn over. They do not seem to want to keep the real dedicated workers, they like to keep staff in the dark so they keep the staff that do not really care or know what is going on.
impossible to workfor
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia15 November 2016
Not a good company to work for!!
the hardest part of this job, was staying there, and learning that all the bad reviews I gotten form people, was correct.
Pros
no pros
Cons
working there
Awesome place to work
Designated store associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 June 2016
I really enjoyed working at nygard international. I developed management skills and nygard international is a great place to work.
Productive and fun environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON23 March 2016
- hardest part of the job is trying to deal with rude customers
- enjoyable part of the job is getting to get to know the customers and helping them with anything they may need; getting to do something new everyday
- great co-workers and management

2.8