Nygård International

Nygård International Employee Reviews in Canada

review
Sales Representative / Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCJune 28, 2016
I come in and turn on the tv and start cleaning the pod and putting clothes away and fix the hangers I am constantly helping costumers and selling our product I am usually on my own and the day goes by really fast it is fun working for NYGARD .
Pros
Cons
have to work 37/5 hours no expceptions
Awesome place to work
Designated store associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 12, 2016
I really enjoyed working at nygard international. I developed management skills and nygard international is a great place to work.
great crew to work with, free clothing not enough pay to live on
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 25, 2016
found management asked a lot of you without recognition other than ability to earn free clothing, and some commission, which was somewhat helpful but that didn't pay for the rising cost of living We were given a great dinner out with the team for high sales, which was enjoyable.Always busy and on the run so no time to get bored. A couple of events a month were fun but taxed staff. Exhausted at end of day, left little room or energy for outside interests.Too much negative reinforcement from middle and upper management.After a year never did take a full week of vacation due to restrictions and staff shortages and received no raise..
Pros
meals out, clothing, jewelry incentives
Cons
strong emphasis on what was wrong
Excellent Team Work
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 19, 2016
I have never been more welcomed to a job than when I started here. Everyone is very welcoming and is happy to help you learn the ropes.
Great Work Environment
SALES ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, QCMay 2, 2016
I was hired for the winter/holiday season. The supervisor's that I had while working at Nygard were understanding that it was my first job and were willing to teach. There was no gossip of other employees which encouraged a positive working environment. I have nothing bad to say about my experience at Nygard except that I would have liked to have been informed of my release sooner than a week in advance.
Pros
employees were friendly
Cons
little time to find new job
Is a hard company to work for no support from upper management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 26, 2016
I would come into work and hear we have to manually record "this" and "that" and send a report via email at the end of the business day to our divisional head in Winnipeg, which is not necessary, the company has a great inventory system but the people in high places have no clue how to use it. They keep adding on reports and charts and keeping their eye off the ball regarding selling. The management are trained in old school intimidation tactics and should be sent to respect in the work place courses.

I would suggest as short term work to build up or wardrobe then look elsewhere .
Pros
Clothing credits and employee discounts
Cons
Management from Winnipeg
Appreciate meeting and being with people everyday.
Asst. Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 13, 2016
A typical day at work would be checking updates on promotions,markdowns and checking the store's direction towards the weekly budget. Making sure the store is tidy and the sales floor organized. Interacting and giving excellent service to customer is a MUST. Different comapanies has different systems so we have to welcome and embrace change as you learn day by day. I love the company and I am happy with the store but having a slow-learner immediate superior is what I considered the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is having to meet different kinds of people with different cultures.
Pros
Meal and transportation allowance.
Cons
Late working hours
Productive and fun environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONMarch 23, 2016
- hardest part of the job is trying to deal with rude customers
- enjoyable part of the job is getting to get to know the customers and helping them with anything they may need; getting to do something new everyday
- great co-workers and management
I wish I could give this place 0 stars
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OntarioMarch 20, 2016
I have only been working retail for a few years while in school, but working for Nygard was definitely the worst job experience I've ever had. Although working with the customers was great, the store level management was absolutely horrible. I was constantly talked down to, I never got proper training, and was always harassed about things that I had no idea about/was never told about. Management really stressed sales targets and UPTs, which I totally understand, but it was really stressful when you're only a part time employee and often only given shifts when it's slow. When I was given shifts on busy afternoons, however, I was to share my sales with the other associates while they did other things. Frankly, I'd be running around trying to service every customer with no help, but yet I'd have to share all my sales with everyone there?? By the end of my time at Nygard, I was only given 3-8 hours a week but my manager kept bugging me to buy the clothes. I was often told by the store manager that I had been there long enough and I should be head to toe Nygard every shift. How would one expect me to buy the clothes when I can't even pay my bills? Plus, the company only gives the store a certain amount of hours, so you are to clock in and clock out EXACTLY on time (aka if you start early or stay late you do not get paid for that extra time.)

I ended up quitting Nygard without giving them any notice. When I first started, I was told that a few former employees had done the same, and I can't say I'm surprised. I would not recommend working for Nygard to anyone.
Cons
EVERYTHING
Love it!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sydney River, NSFebruary 21, 2016
I truly enjoy working at the Keltic Plaza location. I love the clothes and the customers. The staff are wonderful. The manager is great!
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
low income
Great place to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 25, 2016
I enjoyed working for Nygard due to the clientele which were mostly the elderly. Management at the time was well organized, The hardest part working there was the fitting rooms and the flooring needed to be updated.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
In an old shopping mall that needed upgrading
My family
Sales (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 23, 2015
A typical day at work is being able to make customers laugh and enjoy themselves at our store and leave any negative thoughts about themselves behind and walk with an air of confidence in every purchase.
The most enjoyable part of my job there was meeting so many sweet kind ladies and having them grow to be apart of my life and have a long lasting friendship with them.
I took to my heart learning that life is short we cant take family and our final days for granted because there are other people who would wish to have our time. My co-workers are my family i love those ladies like nothing else the singing the dancing the love and the bonding honestly made coming to work feel like i was just coming back home.
The hardest part of the job of the job was hearing some of the stories that were shared with me. Management was amazing
Pros
Amazing staff and Co-workers
Cons
Shortage of Hours
bad upper management
sales associate (Current Employee) –  mallSeptember 28, 2015
The upper management in Nygard International is very poor and bad organized. They pay a little but expect you to do work of a manager
Pros
in a mall
Very unprofessional
HR Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  TorontoJuly 21, 2015
I had an interview at their head office for a HR administration opening. The interview went well although it seemed as though they were unsure what the position actually entailed. I was told I would hear back from the Toronto office's HR manager about the position and be given feedback on my interview, but it has been a month and I never received a call or email. The job as since been re-posted two or three times with the title changing from "HR Admin" to "Paralegal" back to H"R Admin", and then "Paralegal/HR Admin". From an outsiders perspective this makes their organization look extremely unprofessional and unorganized. It is clearly all the same position because of the size of the Toronto office and the duties outlined in the job description. Either way, this experience has completely turned me off from the company.
Busy womens retail.
Sales Associate/Keyholder/2IC (Current Employee) –  north vancouverMay 25, 2015
My co workers are awesome.I have learnt alot from head manager not being into retail before.Physically draining when stock arrives on weekly basis.Company expects more than required for job title without paying for extra hours needed for extra events.
Cons
company expectations .
productive and fun workplace
Sewing Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 11, 2015
Come on time at work do my jobs .I learned more on how to operate sewing machine.Great management, my co-workers they were all friendly and funny.The hardest part on this job is when you know some of your co-worker is cheating(... I worked here as a piece worker) The most enjoyable part of the job is when you finished your job perfectly what I mean is when there is no rejects or repair.
Pros
Christmas time.... free food and really a celebration.
Very well organized and maintained workplace.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBNovember 26, 2014
Highly disciplined working environment. Reasonable wages. GYM, cafeteria, free professional training. Free parking. Convenient location. Bus stop across main entrance. 50% employee discount at all Nygard stores. Multiple locations across Canada, US and India. Some positions require traveling.
Amazing co-workers + management. great environment to work
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Brampton, onNovember 11, 2014
I have been in the retail industry for over 5 years to date. Working at Nygard is def a great opportunity as the company itself is so motivating to work with. Each employee is treated with immense amount of respect and attention.
Temporary work
Driver/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONOctober 6, 2014
Positive work environment
seasonal work
Able to work in a professional environment
Learned aspects of factory specs
repetitive tasks
Assigned to work both independently and with co-workers
Fun, good management, good co-workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, ONSeptember 26, 2014
Days are usually busy between 11 am and 2 pm
Learned more in depth knowledge re; Clothing industry
Good management at store level
Co-workers easy to get along with
Hardest part of job is not being able to budget because of not knowing how many hrs you'll get from wk to wk; shifts get cut sometimes and you can't depend on a secure income. Good for someone who just needs pocket money but very hard to support oneself. All jobs except management are part-time.Fluctuates between 8 and around 24 hrs per wk.
Most enjoyable part of job is interacting with clientele. We get mostly return customers so you are able to build a relationship with them.

Nygård International Reviews by Location