Nygård International Employee Reviews

Enjoy working with the customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London OnSeptember 19, 2016
I truly enjoy working at Nygard. Most of our clients are elderly and they can be so much fun to help build a wardrobe. My fellow co-workers are the best part of the job. We all work very well together. We all have quotas for the day but once we meet our quota we all chip in to make sure everyone gets their numbers. My manager is a wonderful person who tries hard to keep everyone happy.
Pros
the staff and customers
Cons
not enough hours
Nygard summary
ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONSeptember 15, 2016
I got job to done this job so learned every until this job done, management is very organised and co-worker are very cooperative,when its take time,when I have done this job
Overall ok
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ONSeptember 3, 2016
Alot of confusion and misleading info
Told one thing something else happening.....alot of uncertainly.company wants alot but not willing to give
Never feels like u belong ......Sales goals high and then if u don't make it ....wondering will you have work or unemployed.
Pros
Clothing credits good.
Cons
Wages poor ...sales goals high and management have hidden agendas.
Not worth it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONAugust 30, 2016
I worked for the Bowmanville store, they gave me limited hours and three hour shifts not worth coming in for. They never gave me my breaks or lunches but expected you to bring their store in money with zero incentives besides forcing you to buy their over priced overaged clothing. Not to mention their backroom just waiting to collapse on top of you and ancient methods prolonging simple tasks. I would highly reccomend skipping over this place as a place to work.
Cons
short shifts, no breaks, safety hazards.
Love the clothing and credits.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCAugust 27, 2016
Commission based so sturred up unfriendly work environment. Corporate is a micro managing company and does not stand by their staff. A lot of turn over. They do not seem to want to keep the real dedicated workers, they like to keep staff in the dark so they keep the staff that do not really care or know what is going on.
Corporate culture definitely different than other companies
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 23, 2016
I thought that this was a good place to work. Everyone was friendly and helpful and always willing to help and show you around. It is a corporate culture that micro manages employee time and attendance.

This changed when I had missed some time and was docked pay for it. Yet, when I had worked overtime, I was advised that the company does not pay overtime. Sorry, you can't have it both ways.

When you are on salary and you are docked time when you away for appointments then you should be paid when you work overtime. According to Labour Standards, salaried employees are entitled to overtime when they work over 8 hours in the day. It doesn't matter how much the company pays in bonuses, it still is against the Labour Standards not to pay overtime.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting the people.
Pros
Great clothing discounts
Cons
Not paid overtime yet deducted when missing work, mandatory working two weekends in the year yet not being paid for your time.
review
Sales Representative / Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCJune 28, 2016
I come in and turn on the tv and start cleaning the pod and putting clothes away and fix the hangers I am constantly helping costumers and selling our product I am usually on my own and the day goes by really fast it is fun working for NYGARD .
Pros
Cons
have to work 37/5 hours no expceptions
Productive work experience
Service Centre Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 20, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Nygard. I was able to get my tasks done on time. There were lots of friendly people there to communicate to. Everyone was supportive. The hourly wage was satisfactory.
Awesome place to work
Designated store associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 12, 2016
I really enjoyed working at nygard international. I developed management skills and nygard international is a great place to work.
great crew to work with, free clothing not enough pay to live on
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 25, 2016
found management asked a lot of you without recognition other than ability to earn free clothing, and some commission, which was somewhat helpful but that didn't pay for the rising cost of living We were given a great dinner out with the team for high sales, which was enjoyable.Always busy and on the run so no time to get bored. A couple of events a month were fun but taxed staff. Exhausted at end of day, left little room or energy for outside interests.Too much negative reinforcement from middle and upper management.After a year never did take a full week of vacation due to restrictions and staff shortages and received no raise..
Pros
meals out, clothing, jewelry incentives
Cons
strong emphasis on what was wrong
Excellent Team Work
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ONMay 19, 2016
I have never been more welcomed to a job than when I started here. Everyone is very welcoming and is happy to help you learn the ropes.
Great Work Environment
SALES ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, QCMay 2, 2016
I was hired for the winter/holiday season. The supervisor's that I had while working at Nygard were understanding that it was my first job and were willing to teach. There was no gossip of other employees which encouraged a positive working environment. I have nothing bad to say about my experience at Nygard except that I would have liked to have been informed of my release sooner than a week in advance.
Pros
employees were friendly
Cons
little time to find new job
Is a hard company to work for no support from upper management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 26, 2016
I would come into work and hear we have to manually record "this" and "that" and send a report via email at the end of the business day to our divisional head in Winnipeg, which is not necessary, the company has a great inventory system but the people in high places have no clue how to use it. They keep adding on reports and charts and keeping their eye off the ball regarding selling. The management are trained in old school intimidation tactics and should be sent to respect in the work place courses.

I would suggest as short term work to build up or wardrobe then look elsewhere .
Pros
Clothing credits and employee discounts
Cons
Management from Winnipeg
Appreciate meeting and being with people everyday.
Asst. Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 13, 2016
A typical day at work would be checking updates on promotions,markdowns and checking the store's direction towards the weekly budget. Making sure the store is tidy and the sales floor organized. Interacting and giving excellent service to customer is a MUST. Different comapanies has different systems so we have to welcome and embrace change as you learn day by day. I love the company and I am happy with the store but having a slow-learner immediate superior is what I considered the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is having to meet different kinds of people with different cultures.
Pros
Meal and transportation allowance.
Cons
Late working hours
Productive and fun environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONMarch 23, 2016
- hardest part of the job is trying to deal with rude customers
- enjoyable part of the job is getting to get to know the customers and helping them with anything they may need; getting to do something new everyday
- great co-workers and management
I wish I could give this place 0 stars
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OntarioMarch 20, 2016
I have only been working retail for a few years while in school, but working for Nygard was definitely the worst job experience I've ever had. Although working with the customers was great, the store level management was absolutely horrible. I was constantly talked down to, I never got proper training, and was always harassed about things that I had no idea about/was never told about. Management really stressed sales targets and UPTs, which I totally understand, but it was really stressful when you're only a part time employee and often only given shifts when it's slow. When I was given shifts on busy afternoons, however, I was to share my sales with the other associates while they did other things. Frankly, I'd be running around trying to service every customer with no help, but yet I'd have to share all my sales with everyone there?? By the end of my time at Nygard, I was only given 3-8 hours a week but my manager kept bugging me to buy the clothes. I was often told by the store manager that I had been there long enough and I should be head to toe Nygard every shift. How would one expect me to buy the clothes when I can't even pay my bills? Plus, the company only gives the store a certain amount of hours, so you are to clock in and clock out EXACTLY on time (aka if you start early or stay late you do not get paid for that extra time.)

I ended up quitting Nygard without giving them any notice. When I first started, I was told that a few former employees had done the same, and I can't say I'm surprised. I would not recommend working for Nygard to anyone.
Cons
EVERYTHING
Love it!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sydney River, NSFebruary 21, 2016
I truly enjoy working at the Keltic Plaza location. I love the clothes and the customers. The staff are wonderful. The manager is great!
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
low income
Great place to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 25, 2016
I enjoyed working for Nygard due to the clientele which were mostly the elderly. Management at the time was well organized, The hardest part working there was the fitting rooms and the flooring needed to be updated.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
In an old shopping mall that needed upgrading
My family
Sales (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 23, 2015
A typical day at work is being able to make customers laugh and enjoy themselves at our store and leave any negative thoughts about themselves behind and walk with an air of confidence in every purchase.
The most enjoyable part of my job there was meeting so many sweet kind ladies and having them grow to be apart of my life and have a long lasting friendship with them.
I took to my heart learning that life is short we cant take family and our final days for granted because there are other people who would wish to have our time. My co-workers are my family i love those ladies like nothing else the singing the dancing the love and the bonding honestly made coming to work feel like i was just coming back home.
The hardest part of the job of the job was hearing some of the stories that were shared with me. Management was amazing
Pros
Amazing staff and Co-workers
Cons
Shortage of Hours
bad upper management
sales associate (Current Employee) –  mallSeptember 28, 2015
The upper management in Nygard International is very poor and bad organized. They pay a little but expect you to do work of a manager
Pros
in a mall

2.8