Nunavut Housing Corporation Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Productive Workplace with Plenty of Experience Gained
Junior Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU16 January 2017
A typical day of work this past summer included; researching/organizing housing quit claims. Attending council meetings and summarizing for Policy manager. Many other tasks involving Excel.
I learned many things about what goes into a government corporation and what is trying to be achieved by these corporations.
Management and co-workers provided assistance with any question that I might have had.
The hardest part of the job was the long hours researching housing quit claims in the Nunavut database, and summarizing these quit claims into an Excel file.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the people that I had the privilege of working with. The atmosphere, and the first-hand experience they provided me with for future jobs.
Pros
Laid back atmosphere, co-workers always willing to help when you required assistance, above average wages.
Cons
Repetitive work.
An excellent opportunity to experience the North and to expand my working knowledge of building practices in the Northern regions.
Construction Foreman (Former Employee) –  Pangnirtung, NU19 June 2012
The days were full with managing multiple sub trades and related questions and concerns. Weekly safety meetings helped me to assess job progress and general staff moral. Support from management was reasonable but as a government run organisation it lacked in certain areas of support. My co-workers were awesome, very co-operative when various requests were made of them. The hardest part of the job was obtaining quotes / delivery of needed materials from Northern suppliers. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the local Inuit workers, getting to know them and learning about their traditional cultures.
Pros
providing much needed housing to northern communities
Cons
long days towards end of rotation/ missing family at home