Nuance Employee Reviews

Pay is too low
MLS (Former Employee) –  Ontario28 October 2016
You get to work from home, and the work is enjoyable. The pay is just way too low. These used to be union jobs with high salaries, benefits, pension, etc. and now you are lucky to make minimum wage.

If the pay doubled, I would never leave. Unfortunately, I can no longer survive on it.

I started at this company 5 years ago, and my pay has cut in half in that time. No raises, ever.

Management has a high turn over rate. I'm not even sure who my manager is anymore, as there is always someone new sending out e-mails.

Basically between the low wages and the high turn over rate, you feel like you're working for a scammy company. You do however, actually get paid on time, though keep track of your work. They've been known to bill standard transcription (double the pay!) as voice recognition.
Pros
the work itself is enjoyable
Cons
the company is shady and the pay is awful.
Bad place to work
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 December 2016
Job expectations: You shall walk on water, management will not support you. Sad place to work, with ongoing decline in corporate team spirit and valuing of employees.
Pros
None that I can think of
Cons
Environment falling apart, no team spirit, exploitive company downsizing in NA
Low pay, only full time work
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 August 2016
Management and training are great at this company, but the pay is very low (.575 cents per minute for editing and $1.10 per minute for transcription).
I wanted to only work part time, to work around my children but as you have to sign a contract to do a MINIMUM of 400 audio hours per week, it equate to a full time job (8 hours a day, 5 days a week).

The support from management was great, they really are there for you. The training was good too and you're able to keep all training files if you need to go back over and revisit anything.
Pros
Supportive management, work in your own time.
Cons
Poor pay, locked into a contract of set audio minutes.
Company Does Not Treat It's Employees Well
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC18 May 2016
This company is horrible! They pay their medical transcriptionists per minute of dictation which is the absolute worst way to pay your employees. If you have a fast dictator you could have a 3 minute report that is 10X as long as a slow dictator dictating a 3 minute report. Recently, they have required all their medical transcriptionists to sign contracts where they must transcribe 400 minutes of dictation per week. This translates into a full-time job so if you don't want full-time don't bother with this company. The new contracts forced all their hardworking and perfectly qualified part-time transcriptionists to quit.
Pros
Working from home is always an asset
Cons
No part-time and extremely low pay
lots of learning
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 July 2016
along with teaching customers I learn a lot about the product . Patience gained a lot from dealing with hard to deal with customers.
Pros
discount
Cons
underpayed, extra worked
Nuance Review
Ingénieur Assurance Qualité - QA Engineer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 April 2016
good, large company handling a big money flow.
collegues and managers are nice.
peacefull work environment
low level of competitivity between employers
Good salary with No job security
Sr. QA Engineer (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 May 2015
Good salary with No job security. This company does not care about their employees, all the managers and directors are working on project deadlines. They don't even care about the employees, most of the time they don't even remember their names.

They keep replacing, hiring and firing employees as if it is a normal activity. You will see managers running around, from one meeting to another (telephone conversations). So they will take all your good work but if you ask for personal time off they might even fire you.
Challenging work, always learning.
Medical Language Specialist (Current Employee) –  Home,24 May 2015
I am able to set my own hours and for the most part, enjoy my new career. I am very fortunate to have a Team Lead that has invested a lot of time in me and I have gained a lot of knowledge from this company as well as experience. The most difficult thing about this job has been the technical difficulties. I love doing this work as I am excited to be part of health care and assisting in providing the best health care possible for the patients.
Pros
I am able to dictate my own hours.
Cons
There is not always available work.
Horrible Company to work for
Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 October 2015
Everyday is a challenge even to come into work. No work life balance, managers who couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag. No concrete policies or procedures. No positive re-enforcement. Run....
Fun working and Foosball tournaments
QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC11 September 2015
Great team
best place for work and learning
Fantastic Atmosphere
Good Management
Team work is good
Learnt French at work and used for language testing
Pros
Free Intern parties
Cons
Internship was only 4 months
Voice recognition and Telephony meets at Nuance
Intermediate support engineer (Current Employee) –  Downtown Montreal12 June 2014
I had the chance to learn about an exclusive technology: voice recognition.
Add this to telephony systems and two worlds merge: telecom and IT.

IT and telecom are becoming more and more linked these days and I had the chance to be part of this new era.
Pros
flexible schedule
Productive and welcoming workplace.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 July 2012
After being debriefed by my supervisor about the tasks of the day, I would get to work on my computer. The supervisor and other employees were very helpful in teaching me new skills and enlightening me to how it is to work in a professional setting. The people were personable and productive.
Excellent place to work
Analyst, Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 September 2015
Excellent place to work

Employees are well respected and is very professional

The only thing is, its very hard to get any type of promotion.
Benefits
Cons
Hours
Fast Paced
Customer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 August 2015
Tough, fast paced environment. Really good people work in the tech department. I enjoyed my time working there. Perfection is key, and the business is intense. Not for everybody
Very dynamic company, things chage fast, watch out.
Senior Sotware Engineer (Current Employee) –  Montreal25 June 2012
Good salary, great benefits, 4 weeks of vacation by default. Cool technologies, nice and quiet environment.
Smart people,
rational management - they also make tough business decisions easy ( you know what I mean ...).
Pros
fun to work, a lot of new stuff
Cons
see summary
You work with very experienced and knowledgeable people
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON8 April 2015
People are the best part of the job.
If you just starting, you will receive lots of support and your skills will improve very fast.
Job security wasn't great there.
Pros
People
Cons
Job security
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 March 2015
I like the flexibility of being able to work when I want to work. I like the user friendly platform, but with that being said, I wish they paid more.

I enjoy my work day and everyone that I work with is fabulous.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low pay
Interesting place to work, budget challenges
Senior Manager Mobility Operations (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 April 2015
Interesting place to work. Budget challenges restricting progress on strategic initiatives. It has great technology and great people.
Good
Contracted Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, Nova Scotia16 November 2014
Busy. Great learning environment. Some difficult co-workers. Hardest part dealing with negative attitudes of some staff. Most enjoyable; working with patients and their families.
Pretty bad company
Solutions Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waterloo17 June 2013
I did 2 months of training for their software. Ended up doing bench calls. Nothing else. Was not given any other work that I was trained for. I was let go after 5 months. No warning.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything

2.6