Nuance Employee Reviews

Great experience
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 August 2017
I learned a great deal in my time with Nuance and feel my skills have greatly increased over the past few years. Unfortunately, part-time work became full-time commitment and as I was working outside of the home also, it was becoming increasing difficult to attain the demands of the contract.
good place to work but not much security towards your job
QA Automation Testing (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 August 2017
Worked there for a year always did my tasks but in the end was let go even though from as far as I can tell the company was growing. while there I saw many people both leave and come for the company focuses on more contract employees than getting permanent employees. with that said it was a good experience and everyone was nice, lots of activities being planned for moral which was nice and refreshing.
Pros
Lots of office activities for moral and great work environment
Cons
No job security never know when you will be let go.
Good work/life balance but tough to advance
Team Manager - Product Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON22 May 2017
The tech/product support department at Nuance has some very good people working there, but advancement is limited and you need to work hard to stand out. Yearly wage reviews typically lead to increases, but an advancement that means a change in role is difficult to come by.

With the ability to work from home and the need to work through holidays mitigated by a rotational schedule, the work/life balance is good.

Unfortunately, the company routinely goes through "restructuring" to save money, often resulting in some of their best or more seasoned employees getting let go. They also regularly acquire their competitors which typically also leads to downsizing.
Pros
4 weeks paid vacation, occasional paid lunches
Cons
difficult to advance, sometimes wages not up to industry standard
Unrealistic expectations, below minimum wage
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Riv7 May 2017
This position requires 99% accuracy and is paid so low it is almost impossible to make money. I went back to college thinking that this would be an amazing opportunity and left feeling cheated. The minimum output is unrealistic, I wanted to have flexibility to spend time with family...and ended up working around the clock to try to make my hours in which I never got up to Minimum wage in the 9 months I worked for them.
Pros
Cons
Pay, workload, unrealistic expectations, hard to understand ESL Doctors.
a good place for managers
Integration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 May 2017
this is not a place for developers, it is a political entity where managers create impossible deadlines.

advantages are OK, but the demands of working weekends and nights do make it less attractyive
advantages
Cons
no life outside work, management is not effective
Benefit of working from home.
Medical Language Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 April 2017
Work from home typing medical reports. Flexible shifts and hours, self-paced. Weekly minimums to be met. Easy communication with superiors. Compensation not matching work load.
different environment at the airport
Sales, Customer Service Rep & Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 February 2017
interesting customers, solving problems
courteous, helpful,listening and eye contact
all kinds of people you meet , communication with them
Disrespectful customers
selling
Pros
no commissions what you sell
Cons
flexible hours
Bad place to work
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC19 December 2016
Job expectations: You shall walk on water, management will not support you. Sad place to work, with ongoing decline in corporate team spirit and valuing of employees.
Pros
None that I can think of
Cons
Environment falling apart, no team spirit, exploitive company downsizing in NA
Pay is too low
MLS (Former Employee) –  Ontario28 October 2016
You get to work from home, and the work is enjoyable. The pay is just way too low. These used to be union jobs with high salaries, benefits, pension, etc. and now you are lucky to make minimum wage.

If the pay doubled, I would never leave. Unfortunately, I can no longer survive on it.

I started at this company 5 years ago, and my pay has cut in half in that time. No raises, ever.

Management has a high turn over rate. I'm not even sure who my manager is anymore, as there is always someone new sending out e-mails.

Basically between the low wages and the high turn over rate, you feel like you're working for a scammy company. You do however, actually get paid on time, though keep track of your work. They've been known to bill standard transcription (double the pay!) as voice recognition.
Pros
the work itself is enjoyable
Cons
the company is shady and the pay is awful.
Low pay, only full time work
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 August 2016
Management and training are great at this company, but the pay is very low (.575 cents per minute for editing and $1.10 per minute for transcription).
I wanted to only work part time, to work around my children but as you have to sign a contract to do a MINIMUM of 400 audio hours per week, it equate to a full time job (8 hours a day, 5 days a week).

The support from management was great, they really are there for you. The training was good too and you're able to keep all training files if you need to go back over and revisit anything.
Pros
Supportive management, work in your own time.
Cons
Poor pay, locked into a contract of set audio minutes.
lots of learning
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 July 2016
along with teaching customers I learn a lot about the product . Patience gained a lot from dealing with hard to deal with customers.
Pros
discount
Cons
underpayed, extra worked
Company Does Not Treat It's Employees Well
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC18 May 2016
This company is horrible! They pay their medical transcriptionists per minute of dictation which is the absolute worst way to pay your employees. If you have a fast dictator you could have a 3 minute report that is 10X as long as a slow dictator dictating a 3 minute report. Recently, they have required all their medical transcriptionists to sign contracts where they must transcribe 400 minutes of dictation per week. This translates into a full-time job so if you don't want full-time don't bother with this company. The new contracts forced all their hardworking and perfectly qualified part-time transcriptionists to quit.
Pros
Working from home is always an asset
Cons
No part-time and extremely low pay
Productive, technical, fast paced work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON15 April 2016
A typical work day at Nuance is very active and stressful. It is the document imaging division of the company and there is a lot of work to do while being understaffed. There are various positions within Nuance but my daily routine consists of responding to customer licensing inquiries, issues, taking phone calls and monitoring internal service queues.
I learned to advance my customer service skills both verbally and written, working on multiple screens with multiple programs and multitasking. Team work is an essential aspect of the production and success of the team. I also learned to have a strong back bone otherwise you will get eaten alive.
Management has improved over time. They look for ways to incorporate team building activities to boost moral (it's low). They are an active part of each employees success. However upper level management doesn't seem to show their concern of the fact that we desperately need more resources to help with the extreme work load.
Co-workers are kind and helpful but can be catty and speak negatively about you when you're not around. During higher volume period, stress levels increase and personalities can clash. (this happens weekly)
The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the heavy workload while trying to maintain daily/weekly deadlines/stats as this impacts customer satisfaction and loyalty, pushing back on other departments when they attempt to give you work that is not your responsibility.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers and my teammates, having my own desk with multiple screens and of course the four
  more... weeks of vacation. (Must work all holidays excl. Christmas and New Years Day)  less
Pros
We eat a lot of pizza
Cons
Over time required but no compensation for it.
Nuance Review
Ingénieur Assurance Qualité - QA Engineer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 April 2016
good, large company handling a big money flow.
collegues and managers are nice.
peacefull work environment
low level of competitivity between employers
High Tech but Poor Execution
Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 November 2015
Nuance will make you work with both the best and the worse people you'll ever meet.

The technology and the research behind the speech recognition engine is extremely smart. The people behind it are some of the brightest in the business. This is where the fun resides.

Unfortunately, the management leading this is very sub-par. Poor vision, focused on the short term. From budgets to staffing to product strategy...all of it goes through an extremely diligent screening process only to be tossed the window at the first quarter that numbers aren't favorable. There is no long term strategy to improve the internal product line...only to acquire new sellable products and shoehorn them in the portfolio.

It also does not matter if the product bought will work with a long term strategy. It will get get shoehorned.

Typical release of products is either extremely short (making you wonder how it was developed and tested) or extremely long (making you wonder if the staff needed to execute fit the expectations) but none of the projects get delivered on-time.

For your career's sake, avoid this place. It's unfortunate because it could be a gem...but it only is a polished rock.
Pros
Vacation, Downtown Office
Cons
Extremely political, management performance is a dice roll, short term vision, high attrition level
Horrible Company to work for
Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON26 October 2015
Everyday is a challenge even to come into work. No work life balance, managers who couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag. No concrete policies or procedures. No positive re-enforcement. Run....
Fun working and Foosball tournaments
QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC11 September 2015
Great team
best place for work and learning
Fantastic Atmosphere
Good Management
Team work is good
Learnt French at work and used for language testing
Pros
Free Intern parties
Cons
Internship was only 4 months
Excellent place to work
Analyst, Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 September 2015
Excellent place to work

Employees are well respected and is very professional

The only thing is, its very hard to get any type of promotion.
Benefits
Cons
Hours
Fast Paced
Customer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 August 2015
Tough, fast paced environment. Really good people work in the tech department. I enjoyed my time working there. Perfection is key, and the business is intense. Not for everybody
Good salary with No job security
Sr. QA Engineer (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 May 2015
Good salary with No job security. This company does not care about their employees, all the managers and directors are working on project deadlines. They don't even care about the employees, most of the time they don't even remember their names.

They keep replacing, hiring and firing employees as if it is a normal activity. You will see managers running around, from one meeting to another (telephone conversations). So they will take all your good work but if you ask for personal time off they might even fire you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nuance. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9