NRG Research Group Employee Reviews

Great for part time workers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 January 2017
NRG was an outbound call centre with a few different types of projects. They were all surveys- some on behalf of a company contacting their customers for a review of the service they received, others were political or social types of surveys.

It was fun, the only problem was there typically would only be work for the first 2 weeks of the month, the rest of the month you'd be sitting at home waiting until 1pm to know if you had to come in for 4 or 5pm.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Unsteady Work Hours (Not always available)
terrible work environment
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 December 2016
the company is poorly run and managed, managers are in a general sense stuck up and high on themselves, the level of professionalism is low, very often though i had shining reviews i was passed over for promotions to others that have been with the company years less then me, later to me finding out they were "friends" with supervisors who gave them recommendations, not out of work habit but out of personnel preference instead.
Pros
Cons
poor management and unrealistic expectation
shifts always getting cancelled
Market Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 December 2016
they have minimum hours in effect and you have to pick at least 3 shifts a week, but then they call you and cancel shifts due to no work and you end up working less than 10 hours a week.
Fleixible scheduling is the only 'pro'
Market Research Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 May 2016
Still being fairly new working here and working for a call centre, I find NRG a mediocre place to work at.

Typically on a work day you'll walk in and be given a project # at the front desk and you will clock in (on the dot, not 1 minute early or later) at your assigned station. I would highly advise that you take the alcohol wipes provided at the front desk and thoroughly wipe your station before using it (headset too). Certain projects will have briefings detailing any important information you'll need to know before doing any interviews.

Now to the actual work ... if you're the type of person who cannot handle any level of rejection or people responding angrily at you, THIS IS NOT YOUR TYPE OF JOB. You're calling people's home when they're relaxing (dinner or tv time) and you will get respondents that will be angry, annoyed and just hang up but you will also get some quite pleasant people who are willing to do the survey. Some projects have hourly quotas (they call them flow rate) and some don't. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just do your work and try to have fun not thinking about it (but don't slack off either).

You will get one or two 15min unpaid breaks and a lunch depending on the shift you choose. 4.5hr shift will get you one break, 6hr shift will get you two 15min breaks and anything over 7hrs (I think) will get you two 15min breaks and a lunch. I believe at the moment for evening shifts, the max you can work is 7hrs on a given day. The lowest amount of hours you can work biweekly is 33 hours which would be three 6hr shifts a week (2 weekday, 1 weekend).
  more... It equals to 36hrs biweekly but minus the unpaid breaks equals to 33hrs. A lunch room is available with not much seating and a fridge as well to store your food and beverages.

The one thing I absolutely hate is the fact that a lot of the chairs available are uncomfortable and not fully functional. Considering the type of job, it should be mandatory that all chairs are up to standard as you will be sitting for hours on end. It's like the chairs have never been replaced at all and feels like sitting on hard carpet.

I will point it out that this is located downtown so finding and paying for parking is troublesome (although it is free after 5:30pm).

One BIG CON for me is that fact the you are not guaranteed the hours you choose. On some occasions depending on the amount of work available, you will get sent home early or even receive a call from the scheduling supervisor telling you to not come in at all. On the plus side of that, you can always pick up an extra shift to make up for lost hours.

The WORST CON is that fact that after only working there for a few months, there have been 2 cases of bed bugs and I think if there's a third case, I'll be out of there.

The PRO's are the flexibility of hours, friendly staff and the actual job (it's very easy).
Interesting Information through Surveys
Telephone Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 February 2016
Easy job. Interesting studies and researchers such as political studies, farming, workplace, environment, product studies, customer satisfaction surveys, education, etc. If you like knowing different things in life especially in Canada, this job provide a lot of information.
Pros
Easy job. No selling. A good part time job
Cons
Not a full time job. Long time sitting
Unbalanced Workplace in Need of Changes
Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 June 2015
A typical day at work is spent on a softphone connected to the computer where we call residents across Canada and occasionally the United States calling people in hopes that they can take a "brief" survey. Brief ranges anywhere from three or four minutes to over half an hour, and very few people wish to participate, although for some surveys, there are incentives. Co-workers were friendly.
good place to work
research analyst (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, Man14 June 2014
I liked working at NRG and i wish that they would hire me back. but if they do not i wish that i could work in that kind of field again
Pros
breaks and nice people to work with
Cons
getting fired
Unrpedictable hours; not enough communication on flow-rate expectations to interviewers
Market Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 April 2014
I've worked in social research over the years and previously headed a research project (social research as opposed to marketing research). Over a decade ago, I also worked for another marketing research firm.
Personally, I have NOT found this group to be all that professional and they also seem to be rather cheap -- for example, by not allowing the interviewers to keep the manuals they are provided at the training session -- they actually ask that trainees hand them back at the end of the session, and also trying to ensure that they don't have to increase the salary from $10.45/hr to the $10.95 (hardly anything) that they indicate in the letter they provide once a person ahs been hired -- they will actually dock 30 cents from that raise if a person has been late just one time, even if they were only late by only 2 minutes. Additionally, people have to hand project briefing notes back in at the end of the shift for the next shifts' use, which, to me, is not all that sanitary, and the lunch room is abysmal, with dirty tables and chairs and a sink that looks like it's never been cleaned. I would definitely not use any of the dishes they have in their cupboards. It also seems that they don't really take care to ensure the washrooms are kept clean either. (As one former employee stated, the washrooms smell like fish.)

To me, they also don't communicate their expectations regarding flow-rates to staff all that well. They mention the expected flow rate at the beginning of some projects, but not for others. Also, if one does not begin working on a project until after that
  more... project is underway (e.g., the next day or even week), they'll likely not be told what the flow-rate is. I find this to be exceptionally poor. Also, it seems that the flow rate is not a really good method for analyzing productivity with this group, because if one comes into a project when it's almost at it's end, then you'll obviously get much fewer interview completes than if you come in at an earlier point in time. (From what I can tell, it seems the flow-rate they use to base employee productivity on is based on the number of interviews done per month, which actually makes it somewhat unfair for those who work less than at least four days a week @ 6 hours per day). (Ironically, during training, our trainer suggested we should start with either 3 evgs a week @ 6 hrs/evg or 4 evgs a week @ 4.5 hrs/evg.)

The big point here is that interviewers can expect to receive calls telling us not to come in for the shift that evening (or on the weekend)because it has been cancelled due to the shift being cancelled or sometimes due to an entire lack of projects. (I found out that the shift being cancelled only refers to one's own shift -- i.e., not really an entire shift.) To me, this can be problematic for many people, which is likely why there seems to be an incredibly high turnover. In fact, one area this company seems to spend a lot of money on is ads for marketing researchers. They can be seen all over the place -- on buses, the Internet, etc. Well, I guess we know why. (At the other marketing research firm I worked for years ago, I never got calls telling me my shift had been cancelled. I also know people who have worked there since and who are still working there, and no such thing has happened to them.)

The one good thing about this group is that the supervisors and floor managers are very nice overall. Most of the supervisors are great at monitoring calls and letting interviewers know what they did wrong and right and how the interviewers can correct those areas in which they're weak. Other than that, this is most definitely not a place one should consider for long-term employment.
Pros
Most supervisors are excellent. A lot of freedom (i.e., as to when to take breaks, etc)
Cons
Unpredicability of hours. Incredibly low pay and no benefits. Unprofessional atmosphere.
busy paced work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 December 2013
Is pretty well on your own and fast paced calls that you get used to pretty quick. I learned to use more telephone skills and professionalism. the people are friendly.
Pros
In the beginning was getting used to using more telephone manors
Cons
was always sitting i felt i didnt have enough challenge at working
NRG has a professional atmosphere
Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 February 2013
This is the first job I had in an office environment. Overall, the atmosphere is very professional and efficient. This is a workplace with a very high standard in what they do (conducting surveys on behalf of various clients). They put emphasis proper etiquette when it comes to handling the respondents that we contact for data gathering. One must be polite and professional at ALL times, regardless of what type of responses one gets. You also have to develop good listening skills because you need to really listen to the respondents and what they are saying. There is also an emphasis on attendance. People with perfect attendance each month are rewarded with a certificate and at they end of each work year, there is a draw for people with excellent attendances. Prizes vary from year to year. The supervisors and managers are very nice and treat the employees and each other with the up most respect. They are also always on call to help anyone out with any issues they might have and are always putting in an effort to help the employees excel. There is a downside however. The hours are based on projects and there are times when the projects run dry. As a result shifts get canceled. No shifts, no work. Also, there is an annoying aspect called unpaid breaks where if you take a break, you are not paid for it. In my case it is half an hour. Also, they don't allow you to work overtime. But that aside, this job gave me many skills that I could transfer to another line of employment and I am glad I am a part of the team.
Pros
good atmosphere, great place to learn skills like listening and developing a professional attitude
Cons
hours can be a little unstable, unpaid breaks
Not a plesant work environment
Market Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 December 2012
The studies/surveys were self explanatory, and most coaches were awesome. However the managers seemed to play favor more of the other reps more than others.
Pros
schedules were made by us
Cons
manager was un professional

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NRG Research Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5