Nova Scotia Power Employee Reviews

Loved it
Machinist/Millwright (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia30 November 2017
It was a great place to work for almost 20 years but I had to move on and explore which took me to Alberta. Working here is fine but after 10 years, time to go.
Buyer beware
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 August 2017
NS Power claims to hire from within which is why I took this position in their Customer Care Center, I applied for over 37 internal positions that I had skill sets matching the job, I was only interviewed twice and was not taken serious.
Pros
Free meals during Outage situations
Cons
On call outage situation, treatment of entry level position
CADD operator
CADD Operator (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 May 2017
My immediate supervisor was fantastic, worked very hard to ensure his team had everything they needed and was a joy to work with. As was the rest of the team.

The overall management in the department left a lot to be desired. If you work in the engineering department, make sure you are an engineer and not anyone else or you will not be given the time of day.
Average
Windmill Technician (Former Employee) –  Digby, NS15 March 2017
I felt this company was more interested in profits then keeps its customers and employees happy. Considering they have the highest power prices in the country Im not the only one that feels thus way
Good part time job
Lawnmowing contract (Current Employee) –  Truro, NS12 March 2017
I got in easy, mowed their lawns once a week for $100 each mow. It was easy enough and I got to pick my own hours, I just had to now it sometime over the week so it wasn't a needy job.
Pros
Getting to choose my own hours
good employer
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia12 December 2016
Worked there for over 6 years. Great co workers, great benefits package and you also get paid vacation.

Company is trying to cut costs therefore other parts of the company lack the proper resources to provide quality service. makes it difficult to do your job
Pros
co workers, benefit package
First job as a welder after finishing school a great learning experience
Welder (Former Employee) –  Cape Breton, NS16 September 2016
Learned a lot more there after completing trade school worked at all power plants in Nova Scotia experienced new techniques and procedures pertaining to the trade from all different people
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
Started as a casual
Fast paced
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS11 July 2016
Working at NSP taught me how to work in a fast pace environment on my own time. It was a fairly tough job but overall it was a great learning experience.
Great place to work,
Consultant/Contracting Services (Former Employee) –  Wreck Cove, NS10 June 2016
Project provided everything and more for the work that was required, was a pleasure to have worked at Nova Scotia Power

Safety was of the up most importance while working at Wreck Cove, facilities were great providing what was required to do our job.
Pros
Very knowledgeable people to work with.
Cons
Contract was not long enough.
Employees are great to work with, very helpful and proactive
3rd Class Power Engineer- Work Placement (Current Employee) –  Lingan, NS6 May 2016
I am currently a student on my work placement at this facility. I job shadow a few employees, help them complete their rounds of the power plant, recording temperatures, pressures, and conducting daily tests. I also aide in the lock out tag out procedures. I get to spend some time in the control room every day to observe situational issues that may arise. My co-workers are great, they are very helpful and answer any questions I may have. The plant consist of 4 different units, one of which is now down for yearly maintenance. This allows me to view the inside of the boiler, as well at the turbine, which has the shell completely removed. The Generator rotor was removed last week, which was very interesting and beneficial to see.
great bosses
CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia14 February 2016
was given the ability to lean lot of new programs. Also, when the system was being upgraded had the opportunity to be part of a great team to develop the new system
Pros
everything
Cons
contract ended
working on substations construction
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 November 2015
building new sub stations for power system.in Novs Scotia.travel all over the place and work on power systems from 13KV to 138 KV.really nice work and all outside
Pros
great job
Cons
is none
Fast paced, demanding workplace
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 July 2015
Rotating shifts. always learning new skills, very customer driven, great co-workers and team leads, hardest part of the job was the rotating shifts and the work/family life balance, most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers, salary and the benifits
Pros
bonus cheques each year
Cons
rotating shifts
Found my time at Nova Scotia Power a great learning experience, and provided me a solid foundation on which to build a career.
Industrial Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS8 April 2015
A typical day starts with a safety meeting to be aware of any safety issues or concerns (people place things). Then work orders and jobs are discussed and issued, then a job risk assessment form is filled out before tasks are started( reassessed throughout the job). I have learned a lot with my time at Nova Scotia Power Inc., training courses on safety, risk assessment, risk management, scaffolding, confined space awareness, how to work with and for others, time constraints, work flow, critical path. New and different things was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Training, Paid lunch break, Use of time, work flow
Cons
Dangerous work environment, Difficult to advance, multiple wages.
innovative, self starter, work under least guidance
Senior Year Project (Former Employee) –  Halifax20 October 2014
I love to work with challenges as our project was first of its kind. I was able to reach the target and produce the required outcomes
Good Pay, poorly organized at the power production end of the business.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NS13 September 2014
Very little in the way of real planning, generating plants in poor shape as a result. Run from corporate with little regard to plant issues or resources required to bring reliability back to an acceptable state.
Pros
Unionized staff are very knowledgeable if you listen
Cons
Local management has little power to listen or help local staff.
very productive and organized outfit
POWER LINE & TRANFORMER MAINTENANCE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Guysborough, N.S15 August 2014
management and co-workers were great people to work with.
Salary and Hours were very rewarding .
Great summer grant
Maintenance shop worker (Former Employee) –  NS18 June 2014
I had the ability to learn how to interact within a team on various different jobs.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
summer grant
Work place had many different aspects to job
Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Lingan, NS10 June 2014
Work Placement required that I follow a qualified red-seal and assist in daily tasks of : Calibrating different transmitters, Working with the igniting components of the boilers, scanners, light and heavy oil guns, ignitor rods, transformers, seeing PLC's ladder logic, communicating with control room.
Pros
was able to learn alot of different aspects of the job
Cons
was a 2 month work-term
Great people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Point Tupper, NS27 November 2013
Loved every minute the people were awesome and you always had a new challenge life was never boring