NOVA Chemicals

• Salary/Benefits
I love to work for NOVA Chemicals
Document Control Administrator (Former Employee), Joffre ABAugust 13, 2014
Pros: i like my job
I enjoyed working there! I learned a lot from working as a Document Control Administrator.
Very high potential of getting laid off - Unionized
Junior Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Joffre, ABAugust 11, 2014
I drove over 5000 kms to work that job, thought that it was a career and they laid me off for safety reasons after reporting a cut on my arm. The guy before me was there for one month and they didnt like him so he was fired and I saw 2 more job postings for the same lab (PE2) 1 month after and 2 months after I got fired so those other guys probably – more... didnt last long either.

Easiest job I have ever had in my entire life. Ended up working for only 2 hours out of my 12 hour shifts and swept floors 3 times a day to appear busy. once you're in the union, its a great job with O.K. job security, but they put you on probation for a full year and all of the full time guys are very old, making over 100k per year, and definitely unwilling to give up their jobs to some young new guy.

You have to be very careful what you say and do in PE2 because they have monthly quotas of reporting 2 safety incidences a month and the older guys will write you up for absolutely everything. One time I had to drill and cut a polyethylene sample from reactor 1 and the older guy gave me a pair of cut resistant gloves and a pair of drill resistant gloves. He scurried off to his office and watched me from a small distance as I worked, probably to see if I was using the proper gloves for each tool... it was messed up. That had to of been the safest laboratory I have ever worked in. Absolutely no need to have 2 incidences reported every month as a quota – less
Knowledge Expanded
Practicum - COOP Student (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 28, 2014
Spending 150 hours at NOVA Chemicals I was trained and introduced to various administrative knowledge and tasks such as:

•Meeting deadlines
•Knowledge of SAP
•Booking travels for various people
•Proper use of the printer – copy, scan and print
•Writing, printing and mailing out letters and/or cheques
•Arranging and adding contact information through – more... Outlook
•Proper use of photocopier, printer and fax machines
•Participated in various face to face and/or conference meetings

I was also trained at the reception desk, giving me the knowledge and expectations of tasks. – less
productive and fun work place
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Red Deer ABFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: diversified nauure of job
Cons: long hours
A wonderful operator company. I had one year contract position as unit mechanical engineer. I was responsible for preventive and predictive maintenance and prepared construction work packages for multiple projects. I enjoyed my work at NOVA.
A very good company to develope carrier
Process Control Applications Engineer (Current Employee), Joffre, ABApril 12, 2012
Pros: very good company
Cons: plant is located far away from metropoliton.
I am enjoying working here. It is a very good company. Getting sufficient support to develope carrier.
Volunteer experience
Infrastructure Architect (Intern) (Former Employee), Coroapolis, PAJuly 23, 2014
Great atmosphere. Learned database entry work. Worked with Access
Great place to work, enjoyed my time there immensely
Process Improvement Specialist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 18, 2014
Pros: coworkers, recognized as industry leader in servicing customers, cutting edge technology and systems
Cons: professional growth limitations.
Typical Day involved the following:
Supported Polyethylene Business in delivering against market focus strategy; developed tools that support business processes and served as a liaison between IT and the PE Business. Executed and supported IT and Business Process related initiatives while supporting the Process Improvement Manager.
• Helped prioritize – more... IT work for the PE business (infrastructure / development of support systems) during the creation of new processes, tools, and reports.
• Facilitated improvements with existing / new customer facing tools, such as upgrades to the online ordering website and an initiative to automate self-service capabilities within existing or new systems.
• Co-Chaired the Demand & Supply Chain Priority Board related to SERF (System Enhancement Request Form) work, while managing Priority Lists within a Web Based Tool.
• Identified opportunities to enhance work processes within PE Business (Sales, Marketing) that aligned with current Process Improvement initiatives.
• Spearheaded the creation of best practices as new processes and tools were developed, or as old processes were re-invented, striving for continuous improvement.
• Organized process development, scheduling team meetings, organizing teams, and finalizing playbook.

What I learned:
Cutting edge system enhancements

Management:
Dependent on particular manager, as a whole extremely well run

Co-workers:
Best in class.

Hardest Part of Job:
Lack of appreciation / respect from most recent leader.

Enjoyable Part of Job:
People, systems, tools, progressive company – less
Respectful co-workers and friendy upper management.
Packaging Engineer Intern (Former Employee), Monaca, PAFebruary 3, 2013
Pros: competitive pay in the petro-chemical industry
Awesome group of people to work with (and very intelligent). Certain business ventures aren't raking in profits as expected. Lots of fun, though.
Excellent Company. Manager was terrible
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 13, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: manager
Benefits were excellent. Family friendly
Manager took sides with co workers which was not fair
I enjoyed the people I worked with
Productive work place with the ability to always learn something new
Research and Development Technologist (Former Employee), Monaca PaMarch 20, 2012
Pros: ability to work in a team or individually
Cons: healthcare benifits
This is a good place to work. I enjoyed my job and the people that I worked with. The company is strict about safety and should be because of the chemicals involved. Over the years I worked there I was always learning to better myself and the company.