NOVA Chemicals Employee Reviews in Canada

Nice Enviroment
Electrical Engineer - Co-op (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONMay 29, 2016
All the employees are really helping and facilitate you in every possible way even going extra mile.
Management is really helpful and got strong growth oriented culture.
Safety is the most important aspect of the companies policy.
they educate very well before beginning any task and state of the art facility.
Pros
competitive salary package.
Cons
located in small town
Very rewarding and challenging work environment
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING SUMMER STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Joffre, ABApril 30, 2016
During my time at NOVA Chemicals, every day presented new challenges and obstacles to overcome. I was given a combination of large and small tasks, often simultaneous, and left to independently complete them. The team I worked with was excellent at explaining if I had any questions concerning the job or the engineering profession in general.
The people and work environment make all the difference
Accountant - Contractor (Airswift Resources) (Current Employee) –  Joffre, ABApril 11, 2016
Typically the day begins with a review of day tasks, emails, etc.
Handle any urgent requests. Prepare financial reports for management, analyze and monitor key operating metrics. Schedule or attend meeting to discuss & clarify budgets, forecasts, cost reduction initiatives and accounting protocols.
A couple of employees were not at all communicative
Contractor Turnover (Former Employee) –  Joffre, ABFebruary 2, 2016
Overall good experience. A Management personal was difficult to work with. Most of the employees there were very accommodating to work with. Not a comfortable experience for the most part. I went in there to complete a job but in some cases made to feel intimidated by ones knowledge of the work place which I did not have as I was only there for two months. However I knew what was required to be completed and that was accomplished. If offered a position there I would have declined due to the intimidation. I prefer a team work environment, not a one person show.
Pros
Some very great people
Cons
made you feel like an outsider
Nova Chemical
Instrumentation & Electrical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Joffre, ABJanuary 2, 2016
As a member of the reliability team, I am responsible for the implementation of major control systems and field instruments upgrade, and l influence decisions and initiate changes to sustain and improve performance of the field instruments and control systems for an Ethylene unit, working with my team to explore and implement new technology and applications that support manufacturing excellence, Identify and implement Safety, Health, Environment and Risk requirements
Pros
responsible care (safety) company
Cons
sometimes over exaggerate procedures
Operations coordinator and training specialist
Training and Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Joffre, ABDecember 14, 2015
Operations coordinator - I spent sever years with Nova as an operations coordinator in charge of pipelines and utilities. I worked on the Utilities Area Work Team and was involved in making all equipment modification and improvement decisions. I was in charge of 6 operating teams and worked on all projects related to the direct operation of the plant and pipeline.

Training Specialist - I work for several years developing training for the operations group at Nova. Responsibilities included : writing training manuals, procedures, one on one training of operators, and working with the LMS system.
Occupational testing and surveillance
Occupational Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lacombe, ABNovember 16, 2015
Excellent focus on the individual health and safety of employees. The most enjoyable part of this position was working with a diverse group of professionals and the workers.
A closely knit work environment.
Senior Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Joffre, ABOctober 5, 2015
The work experience was very enjoyable. Friendly colleagues are very supportive, The most enjoyable part of the job was the accessibility of the field information and the flexibility on how I was able to perform my daily tasks. One of the cleanest facilities I have worked at.
Big company - good benefits
Instrument / Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Corunna, ONSeptember 23, 2015
Great benefits, especially time off (vacation, flex days)

Variety of equipment to work on

Big company so all the typical issues that go with it

Management is completely out of touch with employees
Pros
Great time off - even to start
Cons
Terrible management
Research Galore
Chemicnal Engineering Internship (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 2, 2014
Good place at the research of plastics, where many highly qualified individuals work.
I love to work for NOVA Chemicals
Document Control Administrator (Former Employee) –  Joffre ABAugust 13, 2014
I enjoyed working there! I learned a lot from working as a Document Control Administrator.
Pros
i like my job
Very high potential of getting laid off - Unionized
Junior Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Joffre, ABAugust 11, 2014
I drove over 5000 kms to work that job, thought that it was a career and they laid me off for safety reasons after reporting a cut on my arm. The guy before me was there for one month and they didnt like him so he was fired and I saw 2 more job postings for the same lab (PE2) 1 month after and 2 months after I got fired so those other guys probably didnt last long either.

Easiest job I have ever had in my entire life. Ended up working for only 2 hours out of my 12 hour shifts and swept floors 3 times a day to appear busy. once you're in the union, its a great job with O.K. job security, but they put you on probation for a full year and all of the full time guys are very old, making over 100k per year, and definitely unwilling to give up their jobs to some young new guy.

You have to be very careful what you say and do in PE2 because they have monthly quotas of reporting 2 safety incidences a month and the older guys will write you up for absolutely everything. One time I had to drill and cut a polyethylene sample from reactor 1 and the older guy gave me a pair of cut resistant gloves and a pair of drill resistant gloves. He scurried off to his office and watched me from a small distance as I worked, probably to see if I was using the proper gloves for each tool... it was messed up. That had to of been the safest laboratory I have ever worked in. Absolutely no need to have 2 incidences reported every month as a quota
Knowledge Expanded
Practicum - COOP Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 28, 2014
Spending 150 hours at NOVA Chemicals I was trained and introduced to various administrative knowledge and tasks such as:

•Meeting deadlines
•Knowledge of SAP
•Booking travels for various people
•Proper use of the printer – copy, scan and print
•Writing, printing and mailing out letters and/or cheques
•Arranging and adding contact information through Outlook
•Proper use of photocopier, printer and fax machines
•Participated in various face to face and/or conference meetings

I was also trained at the reception desk, giving me the knowledge and expectations of tasks.
productive and fun work place
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer ABFebruary 24, 2014
A wonderful operator company. I had one year contract position as unit mechanical engineer. I was responsible for preventive and predictive maintenance and prepared construction work packages for multiple projects. I enjoyed my work at NOVA.
Pros
diversified nauure of job
Cons
Contractors are treated like dirt
AP Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONOctober 19, 2012
I have worked as a contractor for NOVA. I am an educated person with almost 20 years experience in my field who was hired as a contractor in hopes of attaining a full time job. The contractors are treated like they are a lower form of life, and when a full time position opens up - they hire externally instead of the fully capable and fully trained CONTRACTORS they already have doing the job.
A very good company to develope carrier
Process Control Applications Engineer (Current Employee) –  Joffre, ABApril 12, 2012
I am enjoying working here. It is a very good company. Getting sufficient support to develope carrier.
Pros
very good company
Cons
plant is located far away from metropoliton.