NOVA Chemicals

NOVA Chemicals Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Research Galore
Chemicnal Engineering Internship (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 2, 2014
Good place at the research of plastics, where many highly qualified individuals work.
I love to work for NOVA Chemicals
Document Control Administrator (Former Employee), Joffre ABAugust 13, 2014
Pros: i like my job
I enjoyed working there! I learned a lot from working as a Document Control Administrator.
Very high potential of getting laid off - Unionized
Junior Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Joffre, ABAugust 11, 2014
I drove over 5000 kms to work that job, thought that it was a career and they laid me off for safety reasons after reporting a cut on my arm. The guy before me was there for one month and they didnt like him so he was fired and I saw 2 more job postings for the same lab (PE2) 1 month after and 2 months after I got fired so those other guys probably – more... didnt last long either.

Easiest job I have ever had in my entire life. Ended up working for only 2 hours out of my 12 hour shifts and swept floors 3 times a day to appear busy. once you're in the union, its a great job with O.K. job security, but they put you on probation for a full year and all of the full time guys are very old, making over 100k per year, and definitely unwilling to give up their jobs to some young new guy.

You have to be very careful what you say and do in PE2 because they have monthly quotas of reporting 2 safety incidences a month and the older guys will write you up for absolutely everything. One time I had to drill and cut a polyethylene sample from reactor 1 and the older guy gave me a pair of cut resistant gloves and a pair of drill resistant gloves. He scurried off to his office and watched me from a small distance as I worked, probably to see if I was using the proper gloves for each tool... it was messed up. That had to of been the safest laboratory I have ever worked in. Absolutely no need to have 2 incidences reported every month as a quota – less
Knowledge Expanded
Practicum - COOP Student (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 28, 2014
Spending 150 hours at NOVA Chemicals I was trained and introduced to various administrative knowledge and tasks such as:

•Meeting deadlines
•Knowledge of SAP
•Booking travels for various people
•Proper use of the printer – copy, scan and print
•Writing, printing and mailing out letters and/or cheques
•Arranging and adding contact information through – more... Outlook
•Proper use of photocopier, printer and fax machines
•Participated in various face to face and/or conference meetings

I was also trained at the reception desk, giving me the knowledge and expectations of tasks. – less
productive and fun work place
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Red Deer ABFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: diversified nauure of job
Cons: long hours
A wonderful operator company. I had one year contract position as unit mechanical engineer. I was responsible for preventive and predictive maintenance and prepared construction work packages for multiple projects. I enjoyed my work at NOVA.
Contractors are treated like dirt
AP Analyst (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONOctober 19, 2012
I have worked as a contractor for NOVA. I am an educated person with almost 20 years experience in my field who was hired as a contractor in hopes of attaining a full time job. The contractors are treated like they are a lower form of life, and when a full time position opens up - they hire externally instead of the fully capable and fully trained CONTRACTORS – more... they already have doing the job. – less
A very good company to develope carrier
Process Control Applications Engineer (Current Employee), Joffre, ABApril 12, 2012
Pros: very good company
Cons: plant is located far away from metropoliton.
I am enjoying working here. It is a very good company. Getting sufficient support to develope carrier.