NORTHWESTEL Employee Reviews

Great place to work!
COMBINATION TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Fort Simpson, NT26 October 2017
Never a dull day at Northwestel. As a field technician I worked on many different technologies and had the opportunity to travel and learn a lot. Working for Northwestel provided a great opportunity to see and experience the north.
community service tech
Community Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Cape Dorset, NU13 April 2017
It was an awesome job with great benefits and chances to grow in the company. but I had to move from Nunavut, which is a great move to better my growing family.
Providing Internet, Cable TV, Voice and Data services
Implementation Manager (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT18 January 2017
Providing Internet, Cable TV, Voice and Data services as far east as Iqaluit and as far west as southern BC. Maintaining a very large footprint with never enough resources. I learned a lot in this company.
great learning opportunity
Combination Technician, Summer (Former Employee) –  Iqaluit, NU18 November 2016
got an opportunity to do a lot and do what a normal 10 year technician would do.

lots of work alone and thinking independently

lots of work travel with some hectic work hours
Great Company!
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT18 May 2016
Northwestel is truly the definition of a company that cares. They are a center peice of the Yukon community and genuinely make an effort to give back. I was hired as a student intern and was given challenging roles that were simultaneously not overwhelming for a student. Their compensation was more than fair, and they were extremely understanding about life/work balance. Thanks Northwestel, I will definitely be reapplying after graduation!
Excellent Staff, many opportunities within the organization
Manager of Accounting (Current Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT16 September 2015
Opportunity for advancement or lateral moves, kind, inclusive work environment, always new things to learn, co-workers from all over Canada.
Worthwhile Experience
Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT24 November 2013
The excellent pay and benefits is suitable compensation for the remoteness, the bitter cold, the disfunction. The many staff who are appreciative of your efforts will trump those few who are disrespectful and self-entitled.
Unappreciated and overworked at times. Great direct coworkers.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT18 June 2013
I worked as a retail sales associate- dealing face to face with customers. Northwestel is THE ONLY cable provider in Whitehorse, YT therefore a lot of customers are dissatisfied with the service. My position receives disrespect from both customers (not all) and upper staff- who is everyone else. We are never asked how we think the company can improve for their customers, even though we hear it first hand. The retail store has been short staffed for 6 months, no manager for the past 2 months- and no one seems concerned. We all work so hard in the store to keep customers happy- not all customers are bad, however the job is daunting, with all the programs and databases we use, therefore each customer needs a minimum of 30 mins. My direct coworkers were awesome- because we all have to lean on each other to get through a work day, since there is no manager. There is absolutely no standard training- learn as you go, which is frustrating and embarrassing, for both the company and individual.
Great pay, good incentive bonuses.
Not much leading from upper management, all talk and no action.
Great Team, tonnes of fun, many opportunities to learn
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YK3 June 2013
Lots of fun, lots of technology to learn about, excellent opportunity for a co-op student
Fast paced and very stressful environment
External Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT30 May 2013
Based on the time i have worked there , it was a situation as this if you ask too many questions for your benefit and grow in the company its considered more of a nuisance to your colleagues around, the management was exactly the best though they did come and ask how the job was going and so fort , the training was not a good experience information was not in one properly categorized and of then you would have to a lot of time digging through files to find what you need. The pay was decent but not worth the everyday hassle you had to go through. I would not wish it on anyone to go through what i have been through
Pros
Good Health benefits, being able to move up in the company though i could take years
Cons
organization, when a question was asked more then once it is looked upon as a negative thing