Northlands Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
worked with friends and goof off environment
Stewardess (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: lunch provided
Cons: long hours, very low pay.
Typical work day was putting on our jackets/ chef shirts, and then heading down to the dish pit/ kitchen, to find out what we needed to bring up to the banquet halls. we'd carry racks for putting glasses in and carts for plates. and sometimes the chefs would get us to push there portable ovens up to the banquet areas. Then once we got up there we'd set up our clearing tables behind the banquet, so that the public does not see us dealing with there dirty dishes. Once the event would start some of us would be chosen to plate pull, which was pulling the already made plates of food out of a hot oven.
Once they were all pulled out we'd start clearing or plates and pours out drinks and putting them in there racks. We'd continue on doing this until we had all of the eatery ready to pull back down stairs to the dish pit.
Hardest part standing and walking for any where between 8 to 10 hours and the handling of hot plates.
Most enjoyable would be the working with friends staff were friendly.
High Paced with Great Attention to Detail
Pari-Mutual Teller (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Tips
Cons: No Breaks even on 8 hour shifts, unable to advance
Everyday you were required to have precise attention to detail and what the customers were telling you. You would be working with over 10 race tracks per shift that all had specific codes. As an employee you were required to be fast when entering customer bets as well as overly accurate to make sure the bet was placed correctly before the race began or Northlands would take financial losses.

All about how your data was input into the system, one mistake could cost a customer hundreds to thousands of dollars, and it was always a fast paced environment with repetitive tasks.

Overall it was a fun place to work once you knew how to do your job correctly, although the training provided was short of what should be taught to new employees.
Great place to learn to do a great job
Northlands Park Security Supervisor (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 27, 2012
Pros: 50% off food, every other weekend off
Cons: two weeks days, two weeks nights
My Days start at 0600 or 1800 hours. Day shifts are slow until 0930 and then busy until shift end. Nights shifts are busy right off the bat and quiet afterwards. The Job is enjoyable, but there is alot to learn. I have seen a change in management over the last two years. I am on my fourth manager since I started six and half years ago. As with any job, this job has had alot of turn over.

This job has taught me to schedule better, to be a better supervisor, how to handle disagreements between staff and how to be more effective in teaching. My report writing has gotten better and I have to give credit to my current manager, she teaches me to the point I understand what she wants. I am still learning.
Close knit workplace
Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: free food, cool people, tips
Cons: weird hours
A typical day at work would include me making popcorn, setting up the concession, getting the float and saying hello to the locals. Next me and my coworkers would work until the concession closed. then at this point we would count the cash and send it off to the bank. i learned how to use a cash register, and i became more of a people person. the coworkers we more like friends to me, especially the people i worked with in the concession. the hardest part of the job was derby day because of how busy it was, and the most enjoyable part was working with cool people.
Supportive and postive working environment
Assistant to the Director of Major Events (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: led events for aadac such as christmas parties, united way events, conference galas, and many more
Cons: government retraints often changed priorities and learning sometimes was postponed
A positive place to work and grow within the organization. It was a continuous learning scale both internally and externally with clients and staff. The most enjoyable part of my day was assisting Albertans and clients with our publications and knowing I was making a difference.
Regular work place, enjoyable depending on the task.
Food and Beverage Attendant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 3, 2015
Pros: free lunches when northlands had banquets and fancy dinners
Cons: very long hours
Personally, I didn't enjoy my northlands experience. new employees were treated unfairly, and old employees had an advantage. Managers were disrespectful and not only did we work long hour even if we were underage but we had to do hard work and weren't allowed breaks less told so, which was usually towards the end. But after all the hard work, the pay was worth it.
Fast paced & a good place to work.
Waitress (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 27, 2012
I learned organizational & timing skills, i.e getting orders out as fast as i can, keeping areas clean for easy access to certain items i needed at our work stations. It was easy to get along with all the staff everyone was friendly. The hardest part was when it got really busy & i would panic but i always got the job done sometimes with help from my awesome co-workers. At the end of the day the panic would all be worth it from the tips i made.
Making Memories
Guest Services Host (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: meeting new people and lighting up their face with a smile! it's truly magical.
Cons: minimum wage
There is nothing I like better than to great someone new to a Northlands event and give them the best customer service I can possibly give them. I love how the guests respond and feel like they've rec'd special treatment and that I've given them some little secret tidbit of information that they would never have known otherwise.
Fun job, fun people
Guest Services Host (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 7, 2015
Pros: Fun job, great people, great opportunites.
Cons: Relatively-low pay grade
Great workplace, fun events and opportunites. Fits just about any kind of person, flexible hours, but mainly evenings. Friendly guests/customers, and even better staff. Aside from the fun though, whatever needs to get done, gets done, whether it's a task during hours or a request within the company.
Great company to work for.
Alcohol Service Monitor (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 5, 2015
Pros: Great place to work
Cons: Job is not full time work.
Wish to have full time work with this company. The people are awesome. The work environment is easy going. you work outside most of the time Co-workers are very helpful. Lots of perks to enjoy if you can find the time. Very team oriented environment. Even the customers are pleasant to be around.
Great experience!
Banquet Server (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 10, 2015
Pros: Diverse customers
Cons: I was hired at a job fair along with a bunch of youth, they didn't take the job seriously and caused some potentially dangerous episodes
I learned how to prepare and tear down events, There was work for almost every time period desired. Early morning and day for set up and cleaning, evening and later at night for serving.
Flexible and supportive work enviroment
Guest Services (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 11, 2015
Pros: Very flexible schedule
Cons: Not enough hours or opportunity to advance
Excellent place to work. Managers were fair and there was great training to ensure you were ready to handle guests and their inquiries. They also used you to your talents, which made you feel like you were part of the team.
Fun and awesome place for teens and students
Server, Bartender, Supervisor (Former Employee), AlbertaJune 17, 2015
Pros: Everything
Cons: Your Own Age. (30+ isn't ideal at northlands F/S department)
Fun and awesome place for teens and students. Co-Workers were awesome, customers are enjoyable. Paid training and certification. Lots of summer work. Loved it. Until outgrew it.
Team work culture is excellent
Security Guard (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 29, 2015
Just like one family. Everyone works as a team. This increases the productivity of the employers because everyone works hard knowing that he/she is cared for and appreciated by the management and co-workers.
fun,interesting
Waitress (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 17, 2015
Pros: free lunches and discounts
Cons: long hours
working at northlands is fun, always was and always will be.
we had alot of events and they were all different had a chance to work with alot of different people, my age and some older.
Very strict
Parking Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, AbOctober 22, 2015
I would walk in to the parking office and immediately count the money that will go into my till. It was hard to work for because most of the staff was very uptight, also very judgemental. I never felt welcome.
Typical day
Steward (Former Employee), Edmonton ABJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: free lunch, working with friends
Cons: low pay, no benefits, little hours
I would help bring down all equipent to clean up after banquets. Working as a team to clear all tables, as quickly and efficiently as possible.
tips were great
Server (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 7, 2013
it was a fast paced enviroment
had to set up an hour early
co workers were great alot of them were willing to help
hardest part of the job was being constantly on your feet
most enjoyable meeting new people
Decent place to work
Guest Experience (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 5, 2015
Boring work, but the people were fairly nice, fairly calm place. Certainly fun watching concerts and such for free! Can be very very tedious, Standing around for 6 hours not doing much;
Great for part time but that's about it
Host (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 2, 2012
Pros: free hockey and events
Cons: long amounts of standing in one spot
met alot of people seen alot of sweeet shows and hockey games, boses were pretty easy going as long as you did your job