Northlands Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Flexible and supportive work enviroment
Guest Services (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 11, 2015
Pros: Very flexible schedule
Cons: Not enough hours or opportunity to advance
Excellent place to work. Managers were fair and there was great training to ensure you were ready to handle guests and their inquiries. They also used you to your talents, which made you feel like you were part of the team.
Decent place to work
Guest Experience (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 5, 2015
Boring work, but the people were fairly nice, fairly calm place. Certainly fun watching concerts and such for free! Can be very very tedious, Standing around for 6 hours not doing much;
Very strict
Parking Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, AbOctober 22, 2015
I would walk in to the parking office and immediately count the money that will go into my till. It was hard to work for because most of the staff was very uptight, also very judgemental. I never felt welcome.
Banquet server (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 7, 2015
Lots of moving around. The pay was not the best. Usually would work long hours. Good place to start as a server though. Get to meet a lot of new people. Co-workers are usually very nice and friendly.
Great company to work for.
Alcohol Service Monitor (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 5, 2015
Pros: Great place to work
Cons: Job is not full time work.
Wish to have full time work with this company. The people are awesome. The work environment is easy going. you work outside most of the time Co-workers are very helpful. Lots of perks to enjoy if you can find the time. Very team oriented environment. Even the customers are pleasant to be around.
a nice place to work at
Parking Attendant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 20, 2015
Pros: nice people
Cons: lack of work time
its a great place to work at but i do not think its where my work skills fit best but its a great place for other people to work.
Fun job, fun people
Guest Services Host (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABSeptember 7, 2015
Pros: Fun job, great people, great opportunites.
Cons: Relatively-low pay grade
Great workplace, fun events and opportunites. Fits just about any kind of person, flexible hours, but mainly evenings. Friendly guests/customers, and even better staff. Aside from the fun though, whatever needs to get done, gets done, whether it's a task during hours or a request within the company.
fun,interesting
Waitress (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 17, 2015
Pros: free lunches and discounts
Cons: long hours
working at northlands is fun, always was and always will be.
we had alot of events and they were all different had a chance to work with alot of different people, my age and some older.
High Paced with Great Attention to Detail
Pari-Mutual Teller (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Tips
Cons: No Breaks even on 8 hour shifts, unable to advance
Everyday you were required to have precise attention to detail and what the customers were telling you. You would be working with over 10 race tracks per shift that all had specific codes. As an employee you were required to be fast when entering customer bets as well as overly accurate to make sure the bet was placed correctly before the race began or Northlands would take financial losses.

All about how your data was input into the system, one mistake could cost a customer hundreds to thousands of dollars, and it was always a fast paced environment with repetitive tasks.

Overall it was a fun place to work once you knew how to do your job correctly, although the training provided was short of what should be taught to new employees.
Fun and awesome place for teens and students
Server, Bartender, Supervisor (Former Employee), AlbertaJune 17, 2015
Pros: Everything
Cons: Your Own Age. (30+ isn't ideal at northlands F/S department)
Fun and awesome place for teens and students. Co-Workers were awesome, customers are enjoyable. Paid training and certification. Lots of summer work. Loved it. Until outgrew it.
Great experience!
Banquet Server (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 10, 2015
Pros: Diverse customers
Cons: I was hired at a job fair along with a bunch of youth, they didn't take the job seriously and caused some potentially dangerous episodes
I learned how to prepare and tear down events, There was work for almost every time period desired. Early morning and day for set up and cleaning, evening and later at night for serving.
worked at concessions
Food service (Current Employee), At halls and concessionMay 20, 2015
I learned how set up dinner tables, how to serve guest well and how to organize plates and utensils after clearing them. And also how to carry trays with stuff
Team work culture is excellent
Security Guard (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 29, 2015
Just like one family. Everyone works as a team. This increases the productivity of the employers because everyone works hard knowing that he/she is cared for and appreciated by the management and co-workers.
productive
Waitress (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 25, 2015
All days are the same . However, the greatest thing there is the happiness that i feel to see and know the guest satisfaction according to our services.
fun
Sales Clerk/Waitress (Former Employee), Edmonton, ENGMarch 23, 2015
Not too bad for a first time job
Could be tedious and the pay want that attractive
There were rude people and I worked for a guy who I actually thought hated me because he was so rude and crude.
fun workplace
Guest Experience (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 20, 2015
It becomes very busy. Have to be proactive in ensuring guests have the best experience at each event. Supervisors and Co-workers are very friendly.
Regular work place, enjoyable depending on the task.
Food and Beverage Attendant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 3, 2015
Pros: free lunches when northlands had banquets and fancy dinners
Cons: very long hours
Personally, I didn't enjoy my northlands experience. new employees were treated unfairly, and old employees had an advantage. Managers were disrespectful and not only did we work long hour even if we were underage but we had to do hard work and weren't allowed breaks less told so, which was usually towards the end. But after all the hard work, the pay was worth it.
Close knit workplace
Cashier (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: free food, cool people, tips
Cons: weird hours
A typical day at work would include me making popcorn, setting up the concession, getting the float and saying hello to the locals. Next me and my coworkers would work until the concession closed. then at this point we would count the cash and send it off to the bank. i learned how to use a cash register, and i became more of a people person. the coworkers we more like friends to me, especially the people i worked with in the concession. the hardest part of the job was derby day because of how busy it was, and the most enjoyable part was working with cool people.
Typical day
Steward (Former Employee), Edmonton ABJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: free lunch, working with friends
Cons: low pay, no benefits, little hours
I would help bring down all equipent to clean up after banquets. Working as a team to clear all tables, as quickly and efficiently as possible.
its a job