Northern Health

Northern Health Employee Reviews in Canada

working in a group and alone and meeting different people from different culture
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONJune 17, 2016
I like to work alone as well as working in a group. I learn how I can manage my time and be more organize in my work. the most enjoyable part is meeting different people from different culture. the hardest part of the job will be when doing that does not belong to you.
constant learning
Assisted Living Worker (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BCDecember 31, 2015
Every day was a challenge as you dealt with seniors and watched there decline.
Co-workers - Always available when needed
what I learned - is that working in health care is a never ending learning experience
Most enjoyable - To give to those who needed it the most .
Pros
Helping maintain independence
Cons
Staff shortage
Job Satisfaction
Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Smithers, BCNovember 28, 2015
Love the opportunity to help others in need.
Good job security
Safety oriented
Love meeting new people
Good balance between work and home life
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Physically demanding
fast paced and stressful environment
Home Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Fort St John, BCNovember 4, 2015
very rewarding career choice however very demanding finding a balance can be a struggle. I felt distinguishing priorities was difficult when it came to clients and staff mental health.
if you stay focused and take care of YOURSELF, set your boundaries know your limits and stick to them. The days do not seem so long.
Pros
mostly working indenedantly
Cons
very demanding, management does very little to advocate for staff
ok
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  BCSeptember 16, 2015
working for a health authority has its difficulties, mainly lack of flexibility to achieve outcomes, but mainly comes down to who the manager or lead of that office or region is
Engaging and challenging environment with unique northern perspective
Regional Director - Reporting and App Srvcs (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCSeptember 15, 2015
Because of its relative small size compared to other provincial health authorities, Northern Health continuously has to come up with innovative approaches to deliver Healthcare in the north. This creates an environment where work performance is always required to be high. This is something I have enjoyed.

The work environment was always collegial, especially in IT.
Pros
Low power differential, always focused on getting the job done, great town to work in.
Cons
The town is a little isolated. Slow pace of government initiatives.
Casual
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Terrace, BCJuly 22, 2015
Suits my needs at the moment.
i set tables and serve food to elders that are unfit to take care of themselves alone.
i help prep the food and ensure the work place is kept clean and tidy inisde and outside of the kitchen.
i enjoy working with the residents and am looking to possibly advance within a facility similiar with more hands on experience such as recrational or as a health care worker
Administrative Support
PART-TIME PROGRAM SUPPORT/MEALS ON WHEELS/LIFELINE (Former Employee) –  Terrace, bcJuly 6, 2015
Typical day at work would be entering files into the computer (love data entry), filing, preparing MOW Meal Sheets for the hospital. I learned that my calling really is helping people and working on the computer. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting and helping people that came to the counter as well as the people I delivered Meals on Wheels to.
Avoid if you can
RN (Current Employee) –  Prince GeorgeApril 20, 2015
NH has a huge number of managers and creates more all the time while cutting back frontline staff. Many managers in the interior are not good at their jobs and are bullies with poor people skills. There is a lack of honesty and integrity in the managers. Co-workers are stressed and unhappy, so teamwork sometimes suffers. Not having the time and being so overwhelmed with patient needs is hardest, patient care is always the most enjoyable.
Excellent work and learning environment.
Employed Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BCJanuary 25, 2015
- 12 hour nursing shifts
- Learning to manage busy ER
- Excellent management
- Amazing co-workers
Admitting Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Prince Rupert BCJanuary 20, 2015
My experience thus far with Northern Health has been a good one. The staff is very friendly and there is plenty of opportunity to advance.
I enjoy working at northern health
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BCJanuary 18, 2015
My work day is to accomplish all daily duties and to help others if needed .I have learned that team work is the best modo..Management here at northern health are great ,they always try to accommodate you when needed.My co-workers are great everyone is willing to help others if needed.The hardest part of the job is when we are short staffed.as it makes for a long day for everyone to make sure that everything is done at the end of the day .The most enjoyable part of the job is helping others and meeting new people all the time.I am currently still employed at northern health.we are planning to move to the okanogan this summer.
Pros
everyone works as a team
Cons
we are often short staffed
Personal Home Care
Community Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Queen Charlotte, Haida Gwaii, BC canadaOctober 19, 2014
A typical Day would be arriving at clients home to assist with meal preparation, medication and light housekeeping. Supervision and assist with showering, and linen change.
Pros
helping clients maintain their .present healt, and stay in their own home
Cons
there arent any that i know of.
Excellent place to work.
Admitting,Housekeeping,Med records. (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BCMarch 19, 2014
Great staff. Enjoyed working for this company they were very accomodating have great work place ethic.
Pros
good hrs
Cons
casual position
good place to work
GR Baker Hospital and Locum sites (Former Employee) –  QuesnelAugust 17, 2013
good place to work some interpersonal drama between staff, strict process a great place to learn, and develop,
Fun, relaxed , enviroment
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCAugust 8, 2013
Shifts are very busy and being able to multitask is a definite asset. Shifts start as early as 5am and you can be called as early as 4am. The staff from my co-workers to management are friendly and helpful. Working for Northern Health was a very inspirational experience.
Pros
working with residents and their family
Cons
residents passing
A Great place to learn and improve work skills
Clinical Application Support Analyst-Registration (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCAugust 8, 2013
Northern Health has been a typical large company to work for. It has its pro's and con's. All in all it has been a good experience.
Pros
learning access
Cons
politics
not the best place to work
cleaner (Former Employee) –  UHNBCMay 23, 2013
Aweful...not enough staff to do the work. Managers bully you if you speak up for yourself....can't get days off when requested, but they expect you to do OT for them without question...everyone is mad there
Pros
multiple areas to work
Cons
mismanaged! bully system used!
day to day learning experience
CleanerlBuilding service worker (Current Employee) –  kitimat,bcApril 13, 2012
i go to work usually 15-20mins early ,start early. start my day with what is expected of me on a day to day basis .i am a team player and am always willing to help my fellow coworker ... i am always learning new skills and dealing through the conflicts that life and day to day deals me . the most enjoyable part of my job is dealing and helping the residents on their daily needs when no one else is available
Pros
interaction with the residents on my side