Northern Health Employee Reviews

Positive Work Enviroment
Permanent LPN (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC7 June 2017
Great management, support care team. I love my job wit northern health. I feel very supported and am always learning new things! The management is very involved and are supportive to the employees working under them. The facilities are well maintained and safe.
Worst Employer
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC29 April 2017
So disorganized. Their motto is that they are "flying the plane as they build it".
Management is non-existent, I have no idea what they do, other than sit in their offices and stir up trouble amongst their employees.
There was no consistency at my site which was brought up several times with no support from management.
Training is non-existent, my supervisor shoved me in a room for a week and said "read this". Never really came to check on me or go over the part of orientation that she was to do verbally.
I was hired for one position but was told after being hired that I was going to be doing another job.
It was not disclosed to me that people in my office were being asked to do things that are beyond their scope of practice and often unethical.
We were often told that we are not counsellors or therapists but were asked to use therapeutic techniques in our roles (CBT). We were not provided with proper training for CBT, Northern Health has you complete a learning module (~1 hour) on it, in reality if you take the course, it is offered over 2-3 days. When asked about proper training, I was told that we would not be provided with it but were still expected to use it.
My supervisor found it appropriate the belittle, berate me and yell at me, which is why I will be leaving shortly.
I would avoid Northern Health at all costs.
Straight forward, good work.
Linen Services (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC10 April 2017
I came, I saw, I worked, for what short time I did. What is there to like or dislike? The hospital is functioning, even at the levels I worked, this is a good sign. Could it function better? Well couldn't all things to some degree? Everything was great regardless. Pay was fair for what I was in. Co-workers were sufficient at their tasks, as the staff looked to be. All in all a good job for anyone to get their feet wet, great section of the government for any aspiring citizen to want to join/work/improve.
Pros
Day went by quick.
Cons
N/a
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC29 December 2016
Hand out medications. Help care aids. Help RN's. Typical nursing duties. Hardest part of job was not knowing when i would be working (casual position). Another hard part was seeing people suffer or end of life situations. Loved my coworkers (very knowledgeable, supportive, and available). The most rewarding part of the job was touching peoples lives. I felt valuable helping people feel better. Watching the miracles of modern medicine.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Casual
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC14 December 2016
people are awesome easy job most especially all the employees are partime student so its not stressful for them gives a positive feedback to what you do excellent customer service
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
busy
Good experience
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC31 August 2016
Enjoyed it while I was there. It wasn't a glamorous job but the management was good and it was steady work. Too repetitive for me.
working in a group and alone and meeting different people from different culture
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON17 June 2016
I like to work alone as well as working in a group. I learn how I can manage my time and be more organize in my work. the most enjoyable part is meeting different people from different culture. the hardest part of the job will be when doing that does not belong to you.
constant learning
Assisted Living Worker (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BC31 December 2015
Every day was a challenge as you dealt with seniors and watched there decline.
Co-workers - Always available when needed
what I learned - is that working in health care is a never ending learning experience
Most enjoyable - To give to those who needed it the most .
Pros
Helping maintain independence
Cons
Staff shortage
Job Satisfaction
Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Smithers, BC28 November 2015
Love the opportunity to help others in need.
Good job security
Safety oriented
Love meeting new people
Good balance between work and home life
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Physically demanding
fast paced and stressful environment
Home Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Fort St John, BC4 November 2015
very rewarding career choice however very demanding finding a balance can be a struggle. I felt distinguishing priorities was difficult when it came to clients and staff mental health.
if you stay focused and take care of YOURSELF, set your boundaries know your limits and stick to them. The days do not seem so long.
Pros
mostly working indenedantly
Cons
very demanding, management does very little to advocate for staff
ok
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  BC16 September 2015
working for a health authority has its difficulties, mainly lack of flexibility to achieve outcomes, but mainly comes down to who the manager or lead of that office or region is
Engaging and challenging environment with unique northern perspective
Regional Director - Reporting and App Srvcs (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC15 September 2015
Because of its relative small size compared to other provincial health authorities, Northern Health continuously has to come up with innovative approaches to deliver Healthcare in the north. This creates an environment where work performance is always required to be high. This is something I have enjoyed.

The work environment was always collegial, especially in IT.
Pros
Low power differential, always focused on getting the job done, great town to work in.
Cons
The town is a little isolated. Slow pace of government initiatives.
Casual
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Terrace, BC22 July 2015
Suits my needs at the moment.
i set tables and serve food to elders that are unfit to take care of themselves alone.
i help prep the food and ensure the work place is kept clean and tidy inisde and outside of the kitchen.
i enjoy working with the residents and am looking to possibly advance within a facility similiar with more hands on experience such as recrational or as a health care worker
Administrative Support
PART-TIME PROGRAM SUPPORT/MEALS ON WHEELS/LIFELINE (Former Employee) –  Terrace, bc6 July 2015
Typical day at work would be entering files into the computer (love data entry), filing, preparing MOW Meal Sheets for the hospital. I learned that my calling really is helping people and working on the computer. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting and helping people that came to the counter as well as the people I delivered Meals on Wheels to.
Avoid if you can
RN (Current Employee) –  Prince George20 April 2015
NH has a huge number of managers and creates more all the time while cutting back frontline staff. Many managers in the interior are not good at their jobs and are bullies with poor people skills. There is a lack of honesty and integrity in the managers. Co-workers are stressed and unhappy, so teamwork sometimes suffers. Not having the time and being so overwhelmed with patient needs is hardest, patient care is always the most enjoyable.
Excellent work and learning environment.
Employed Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC25 January 2015
- 12 hour nursing shifts
- Learning to manage busy ER
- Excellent management
- Amazing co-workers
Admitting Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Prince Rupert BC20 January 2015
My experience thus far with Northern Health has been a good one. The staff is very friendly and there is plenty of opportunity to advance.
I enjoy working at northern health
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BC18 January 2015
My work day is to accomplish all daily duties and to help others if needed .I have learned that team work is the best modo..Management here at northern health are great ,they always try to accommodate you when needed.My co-workers are great everyone is willing to help others if needed.The hardest part of the job is when we are short staffed.as it makes for a long day for everyone to make sure that everything is done at the end of the day .The most enjoyable part of the job is helping others and meeting new people all the time.I am currently still employed at northern health.we are planning to move to the okanogan this summer.
Pros
Everyone works as a team
Cons
We are often short staffed
Personal Home Care
Community Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Queen Charlotte, Haida Gwaii, BC canada19 October 2014
A typical Day would be arriving at clients home to assist with meal preparation, medication and light housekeeping. Supervision and assist with showering, and linen change.
Pros
Helping clients maintain their .present healt, and stay in their own home
Cons
There arent any that I know of.
Excellent place to work.
Admitting,Housekeeping,Med records. (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC19 March 2014
Great staff. Enjoyed working for this company they were very accomodating have great work place ethic.
Pros
Good Hrs
Cons
Casual position

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Health. Our community is ready to answer.