POSITION TITLE: Computer Technologist
STATUS: Full Time
CLASSIFICATION: Payband I
SALARY: $31.56- $36.58/hr (35 hrs/wk)
STARTING SALARY: $31.56/hr
EFFECTIVE DATE: Immediately
DIVISION: Information Technology
COMPETITION #: 14-34
CLOSING DATE: August 13/14
Does your dream job include working with friendly and helpful colleagues, a convenient short commute and a scenic lake view?
Northern College is committed to the success and well being of our students, staff and communities. Our ability to serve as a hub of education, innovation and transformation in Northeastern Ontario is made possible through our valued team of vibrant and dedicated employees.
The health and happiness of our employees is essential! We offer a competitive compensation package: a defined benefit pension plan, a comprehensive benefits package, access to a fully equipped gym and wellness program. All this from the doorstep of northern Ontario’s outdoor recreation playground!
Our people do meaningful work in a friendly and supportive environment and have opportunities for professional development and advancement through the college system. If you’re interested in joining our team for a rewarding career, we’d love to hear from you.
DUTIES: Northern College is seeking an individual with well-developed problem solving and decision-making skills. As a member of College Services IT department, in support of the Timmins location, the successful applicant will:
- Provide information technology computer services to staff and students both on-site and at a distance; Support and assist in the maintenance of both the software (operating system, applications) and hardware for servers by performing software and hardware upgrades, installing service patches, troubleshooting problems, diagnosing server hardware or software failure, and writing programming scripts as necessary.
- Provide software application support to staff and students by assisting in the maintenance and support of college-wide Citrix servers and the maintenance of all outside/community access to server applications; Provide information technology computer services to staff and students by providing software application server services.
- Provide assistance to computer users of various systems, including researching data to program computer equipment and systems, performing installations and configurations, solving various problems and to ensure proper functioning of computer equipment; Provide technical support for the distance education (audio and video) classrooms at the Timmins campus; Provide back up support to other IT staff in the areas of Help Desk and Management Information System (CIMS)
A detailed job description for this position is available in the Human Resources Division.
- The successful applicant will possess a three-year post-secondary degree or diploma in Computer Science, Electrical or Electronics Engineer, Computer Network Technologist or Computer System Support Technologist.
- Five years of experience working in a Helpdesk environment; Possess excellent analytic skills, and have the ability to plan, implement and perform information Technology systems repairs, upgrades, or install new platforms in an Enterprise information technology environment.
- Incumbent must live within 30 minutes or less travel time to the Timmins campus
Proof of valid WHMIS/WHMIS Review card is a requirement for employment with Northern College.
“Northern College is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free selection process. If contacted regarding this competition, please advise the interview coordinator of accommodation measures you may require during our selection process. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.”
HOW TO APPLY: Please visit the Northern College website at: www.northernc.on.ca and click on the Careers at Northern link to apply through our online job application system.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Northern College, only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
Northern College values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.