Department: Western Canada Claims
Reports to: Manager, Claims
Job reference number: 1410
Status: Permanent, Full-time
Number of positions: 1
“The Power of Together”
Join a growing and dynamic company combining to create a revitalized organization that has a long and rich history in providing commercial, personal and specialized insurance in Canada.
The Northbridge Family includes Northbridge Insurance, supporting our broker partners; Federated Insurance, operating through dedicated sales agents, and, Zenith Insurance, which sells personal lines. One of Canada's leading commercial P&C insurance companies, Northbridge boasts $1.3 billion in premiums.
Our Vancouver office is located near the waterfront in downtown Vancouver. A world renowned urban centre boasting beautiful scenery, plus proximity to shopping and dining, Vancouver also offers the possibility of endless adventures for outdoor enthusiasts of all types. Our office is easily accessible by car, public transit, or even by bicycle.
The Adjuster is responsible for providing efficient and prompt investigation, evaluation, negotiation, and settlement of moderate size and/or moderately complex claims in accordance with corporate guidelines and best practices.
- Investigate, appraise/scope, confirm coverage, negotiate settlement and recovery, and conduct reporting and documentation of claims of moderate size and/or moderate complexity in accordance with established guidelines.
- Ensure the accurate and efficient payment of claims.
- Prepare summaries and files for litigation, mediation/arbitration, and multidisciplinary assessments.
- Adhere to service standards by communicating effectively with all parties involved.
- Develop relationships with other departments such as underwriting in order to meet business goals.
- Assist manager with preparing/completing monthly statistical reports.
- Understand and apply best business practices towards compliance, internal control and operational risk controls in accordance to national standards and regulatory standards and policies.
- Mentor and train less experienced claims and support staff as required.
- Work collaboratively with Supervisors and/or Managers on special projects and assignments when required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary education and / or equivalent on the job experience
- Minimum 3-5 years Claims adjusting experience.
- Working knowledge of the company principles and practices related to claims settlement, policy wordings, insurance contracts, fraud investigations, serious losses and coverage questions.
- Ability to work within and adapt to PC oriented environments, including familiarity with e-mail and Internet skills. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Actively pursuing CIP/FCIP designation an asset.
- Ability to understand and interpret complex insurance contracts and changes in the interpretation as a result of case or statuary law.
- Ability to demonstrate patience, empathy and understanding in dealings with customers.
- Ability to provide prompt, efficient, and courteous service to all parties involved.
- Ability to assess liability and understand case law developments in the jurisdiction.
- Demonstrated negotiation skills.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving skills, investigative, and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated report-writing skills, including an orientation toward detail and precision.
- Able to plan, organize, and manage multiple demands and changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work well as a team player or independent contributor; Self-motivated.
- Strong leadership skills and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication (both oral and written) skills to explain processes and terms.
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume via email quoting the job reference number in the subject line.
Date posted: April 29, 2014
Application deadline: May 9, 2014